Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Will a cold air intake system void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 05:48 AM
TIGHT-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will a cold air intake system void warranty?

I am just wondering if I install a cold air intake system if Nissan will terminate the warranty on my car. Does anyone know if it will?
Old 03-24-2003, 05:59 AM
350zSpeedRacer

If they do, you can easily fight them on it. An intake does not void the warranty. They should only void it on your car if they can attribute a problem on the car directly to something you've installed.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:14 AM
jleighZ

They have to prove it was the aftermarket part that caused the problem. They will probably hassle you about it though.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:21 AM
snook789

No aftermarket parts can automatically void a warranty. The part must be
proven as the cause of a failure of an OEM part - then warranty service can
be denied. This is part of a law called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:55 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hydrolock would be considered as a result of CAI, that is about the only thing that comes to mind. if somehow debris got into your engine from the intake, they could possibly try and blame it on that as well... but I think you could fight it assuming the intake performs as intended, you know, like the filter didnt fall off and suck up a leaf or somethin.

dealers can always give you a hard time, and regaurdless of what the law says, you dont always want to get a lawyer to get your warrenty work done, so it largely depends on the dealership and how "mod friendly" they are. if one hassles you, go to another.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:41 AM
k2we

My dealer just told me that ANY replacement with a non-Nissan factory part can void your warranty. It also may change your Emissions for your state.

Take it for what it's worth.. Will it really make a bigh enough difference to void your warranty??

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY
Old 03-24-2003, 08:23 AM
WashUJon

Default I reiterate what I've said before:

Originally posted by WashUJon
No manufacturer can void a warranty all together. They can only refuse to provide warranty service on a particular claim relating to an aftermarket part that is non-OEM spec or non-OEM quality. That part also has to be directly related to the problem in the claim.

For instance, a dealer can refuse to repair an aftermarket sunroof under the bumper-to-bumper warranty as that roof is not OEM specified in any way. However, they can't refuse to fix a transmission problem, say, because you have an aftermarket sunroof installed. They also can't void your warranty all together because of said aftermarket sunroof.
They can't void the entire warranty covering the car because of a CAI. They CAN, however, refuse warranty service if they can show a possible assocation of the aftermarket part (has to be out of spec and non-OEM quality) with the problem in question. If you get a "check engine" light while running an aftermarket CAI, they won't pay for the service. If you have a suspension or other problem totally unrelated to the CAI, they HAVE to cover it under warranty, unless the problem is a normal wear part or damaged by the road, etc. They may not like you, though. They may see that CAI and start looking for other things to blame any problems on.