Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Rasp (TP vs. Gutted cats)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:55 PM
first350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rasp (TP vs. Gutted cats)

So I just installed Strup headers and AAM test pipes - before this I had gutted my OE cats and ran the rest of the exhaust stock.

Previous: (Gutted OE cats) acceleration=No rasp, deceleration had rasp around 2K rpms

Now: (Headers + TP) acceleration = rasp 3-4K rpms , deceleraltion same sound as gutted cats.

I never understood why so many ppl complained about rasp, I just assumed that the gutted OE cats would sound very similar and since I had some raps on decel, thought that was it...but I never had the rasp with acceleration from 3K to 4K rpms before - now I'm thinking of ways to get rid of the rasp. (I have my AAM 3" single exhaust coming soon...wonder if I'll be able to modidfy it with the Magnaflow X-pipe ppl have been talking about??)

-Peter
Old 12-10-2006, 08:01 PM
plumpzz

that makes no sense. Adding an X pipe to a single exhaust would mess the exhaust flow up a bit. If you want less rasp, add a resonator after the Y pipe before the resonator and muffler thats already on the single exhaust.
The X pipe is for dual exhausts to increase velocity to increase scavanging. One effect is also sound cancelling which helps to reduce raspiness. Most of the sound cancelling is from the extra huge muffler thats on the X pipe.
If you add a AAM 3'' single, itll rasp like a monster from 3100-redline. If you add stillen or intimiadotr exahust, it wont rasp as much. Especially the intimidator exhaust since it has a muflfled X pipe, resonators and a exit muffler.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:27 AM
first350

Originally Posted by plumpzz
that makes no sense. Adding an X pipe to a single exhaust would mess the exhaust flow up a bit. If you want less rasp, add a resonator after the Y pipe before the resonator and muffler thats already on the single exhaust.
The X pipe is for dual exhausts to increase velocity to increase scavanging. One effect is also sound cancelling which helps to reduce raspiness. Most of the sound cancelling is from the extra huge muffler thats on the X pipe.
If you add a AAM 3'' single, itll rasp like a monster from 3100-redline. If you add stillen or intimiadotr exahust, it wont rasp as much. Especially the intimidator exhaust since it has a muflfled X pipe, resonators and a exit muffler.

I was thinking of adding the Muffler/X-pipe onto the end of the y-pipe, and then have the exit of the muffler/X-pipe go into a Y and connect to the remainder of the 3" single exhaust...I'm not sure what I'll do - either way, I'll wait until I install the exhaust and see how I like it.

-Peter
Old 12-11-2006, 05:58 AM
z-u-later

I had a similar issue with my Injen dual exhaust and installed the Magnaflow x-pipe muffler this weekend and it made a huge difference. For your single exhaust, I recommend you go to the site below for the Magnaflow muffler that should work with your setup:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=303

When you're ready to order, go to justmagnaflow.com -- they have the best deals and free shipping.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:02 AM
first350

Originally Posted by z-u-later
I had a similar issue with my Injen dual exhaust and installed the Magnaflow x-pipe muffler this weekend and it made a huge difference. For your single exhaust, I recommend you go to the site below for the Magnaflow muffler that should work with your setup:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=303

When you're ready to order, go to justmagnaflow.com -- they have the best deals and free shipping.

thanks for the link - I saw that they had a 1 in and 2 out muffler/X-pipe...would it work the same if I reversed it (I'd want to bring the 2 cats to the muffler/X-pipe and have a single exit to the rest fo the exhaust. (I've seen some muffler that have angled portions in the interior that make me think the flow direction matters)

-Peter
Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 AM
z-u-later

Just check with the vendor first to make sure but most, if not all, of the Magnaflow mufflers were designed to be reversible.