Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Flipping headers upsidedown...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 PM
r@mon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much of the intial post did some of you guys read??? The keyword in there is 240SX... not 350Z. I have a VQ in a 240sx... and unlike what has been said, there is NOT more room the lower you go.

Mr. Oldschool, you're right. This is a VQ. Super tech jap motor. How dare i compare it to a Rustang??? Why in the world would i want to run a nice equal length tubular manifold in a turbo system when i could run those gay *** little cast mani's that are sold in the Greddy kits or the joint pipe of a Turbonetics single so i could use that AWESOME unequal exhaust gas pulse. How stupid of me. I'll be sure to think more like you next time i want to achieve high performance.

Mr. X, I can't switch them from side to side because then they would aim downward and would interfere with the altnernator. If i just flip them upside down, they face forward and upward a little bit. Which is perfect for where i plan on placing the turbos. The turbos will be two t3/60-1 with .63 a/r turbine housings and stage 5 wheels. They'll be rigidly mounted to the outer sides of the frame rails in front of the front wheels behind the bumper. Then i'll use flex bellows when attaching the manifolds to the turbos. The motor and tranny are solid mounted to the car.

Don't worry about fitment in the car, or what my reasons to do that would be. I just need to know if the headers would interfere with the actualy engine.

Thank you to those of you that actually tried to help.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:45 PM
taurran

Try being a little more specific in your original post next time. I think people here spent more time trying to imagine what you were talking about as opposed to helping you.

I still don't see the point in mounting a TT's up high in the engine bay unless you have absolutely no room for mounting the turbos down low. Depending on how much clearance you have, fitting all of that hot side piping, wastegates, downpipes, and the cold side and intake piping up top won't leave you with much room to speak of, especially with those 60-1 t3 turbos in your bay.

How much power are you shooting for anyway? Why not go with some gt2871r's or something similar and call it a day?

Anyway, it's your car. Good luck with it.

Last edited by taurran; 12-18-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:10 AM
r@mon

Here's a picture of the manifold flipped and i've circled the point of interest.

Turbos will go here...

As you can see, the turbos will not sit up high. Piping will be very very minimal. Turbos will be sitting in fresh air stream keeping the heat out of the engine bay. Radiator will be trunk mounted to reduce heat in enginebay, transfer weight, and, add coolant capacity. I/C will be vertical flow core mounted inside of bay behind the rad support and will be fed by the turbos directly with less than 1ft of piping and there will be a custom intake manifold with dual 4" barrel plenums and dual throttle bodies fed directly by the upper endtank of the i/c with less than 2ft of piping. Downpipes will consist of nothing more than turndowns right off the turbos. Fuel system has been converted to return with billet rails and aeromotive fpr feeding RC 1000cc injectors. Setup will be good for 900-1000hp. I have plenty of time to work on this stuff while i wait for someone to release a standalone that can control the PWM VCT system of the VQ, have atleast 6 independent ignition outputs, etc etc...namely Haltech.

Last edited by r@mon; 12-19-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 AM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the manifold does hit the block? I was planning to do the same thing with mine but with a single turbo. I've been trying to see if it clears on the g35 but it looks like it will hit the frame of the car.
Most people don't like the be innovative on this board so just ignore them. They just throw their car in a performance shop and let other people do the work.

check out http://www.engineswaptech.com/ he has a vq in a 95 240sx.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:31 PM
r@mon

Originally Posted by accordfreak
so the manifold does hit the block? I was planning to do the same thing with mine but with a single turbo. I've been trying to see if it clears on the g35 but it looks like it will hit the frame of the car.
Most people don't like the be innovative on this board so just ignore them. They just throw their car in a performance shop and let other people do the work.

check out http://www.engineswaptech.com/ he has a vq in a 95 240sx.
Yeah, i'm a member on there. Just haven't posted yet. BTW, it's not known if it will hit the motor yet. But i'll let you know soon. I just ordered a set of stainless DC Sports headers.