Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

megan header installed.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006 | 08:46 PM
Tru350z

Default megan header installed.. HELP

Hey, guys
I just installed megan headers in my garage but i coudn't get the one nut on both side. Anyway, i thought i had exhaust leak from the headers, cauz of the missing nuts but it looks like its comming from my radiator. So, i double check the coolant level and added more coolant. Now, I can tell the steam/smoke is comming from my radiator. The temp guage on my dash seems normal.
Any ideas???
Oh, is it ok to leave one nut out on each header??

Last edited by Tru350z; 12-24-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2006 | 08:54 PM
first350

Originally Posted by Tru350z
Hey, guys
I just installed megan headers in my garage but i coudn't get the one nut on both side. Anyway, i thought i had exhaust leak from the headers, cauz of the missing nuts but it looks like its comming from my radiator. So, i double check the coolant level and added more coolant. Now, I can tell the steam is comming from my radiator. The temp guage on my dash seems normal.
Any ideas???

not the best to leave any nuts off of the headers, but I've heard of others doing the same w/out any problems...some ppl have used nuts without flanges on them - they won't have the same amount of hold, but will usually clear the obstructions.

-are you seeing steam or smoke in the engine bay? I had a good amount of smoke come off my headers for the first 30 minutes...it's burning off all the grease and coatings from the headers. If you're seeing steam, it might just be some spilled coolant boiling off. (Are you filling the coolant level from the highest point? (There's another hole that you can fill the coolant from, near the rear passenger side of the engine...you need to used a philips screw driver to open it)

here's a pic of it:

-Peter

Last edited by first350; 12-24-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2006 | 08:57 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Tru350z
Of course not.

What is blocking you from putting the nut on? I assume that it is another nut? Remove the nut. Put the other ON. Replace the nut that you removed.
Old 12-24-2006 | 09:04 PM
first350

Originally Posted by davidv
Of course not.

What is blocking you from putting the nut on? I assume that it is another nut? Remove the nut. Put the other ON. Replace the nut that you removed.
I read that some headers had problems with the welding of the exhaust pipes to the header flange being too close to the stud...the OR nuts have a wider base flare- so if you get a nut w/out a base flare, it might clear.
Old 12-24-2006 | 10:29 PM
Tru350z

Originally Posted by first350
problems with the welding of the exhaust pipes to the header flange being too close to the stud...
that is my problem.... I can't get the leverage on middle pipe drver side and the passenger side I can't even slide the nut in.
Im pretty sure its comming from my radiator. I already drove my z for more than 20miles to see if smoke goes away..
I already added more coolant on passenger side as well, which is heater hose.

Last edited by Tru350z; 12-24-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2006 | 10:46 PM
first350

some of the nuts were a real pain...I had a friend help me install it and luckily he's a mechanic - he brought his set of ratchets...it really made the whole install so much easier having his set of tools. you might want to find a few more tools to help you finish it.

did you reinstall all of the coolant piping? There's a good amount of tubes on the passenger side (going to the plenum and other areas...) It took some extra strength to get some of the piping back on - maybe yours is leaking.

I'd say just watch your temp and drive around a little more - hopefully it's just some spilled coolant.

good luck!

-Peter
Old 12-24-2006 | 11:30 PM
Tru350z

Thanks for your kind advice.
Yes, i did double check all the coolant hoses.
To be exact, the steam is comming from radiator coils. It seems like burning coolant or something. When i feel the smoke, it seems like a steam....
The steam won't go away after 20-30min drving....
Old 12-25-2006 | 06:42 PM
Tru350z

any other helpful advice on radiator issue???
I just got all the nuts in my headers. I haven't start my car up but shoud i flush my coolant compeletly?? Is it necessary??? When i took the water pipe out, i lost a lot of coolant.....
Old 12-26-2006 | 08:15 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by first350
(Are you filling the coolant level from the highest point? (There's another hole that you can fill the coolant from, near the rear passenger side of the engine...you need to used a philips screw driver to open it)

here's a pic of it:

-Peter
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that isn't a coolant fill port. That is a bleeder to remove the air bubbles from the coolant system when flushing/filling the system.
Old 12-26-2006 | 09:12 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

that is the breather cap to let the air out of the lines,

best thing to do is spray your radiator on the outside with a hose and get all the coolant off, the coolant will smoke for a while if it is on the outside of the radiator
Old 12-26-2006 | 08:06 PM
Tru350z

So, the steam/smoke will eventually go away???
When i squeeze upper and lower radiator hose, do i suppose to get a bubble from the radiator fill hole?? Or is that means i have air in the system??
I tried bleeding method from this DIY page
http://crackaddict.com/~flynn/howtos...amco.howto.htm but i can't even add more coolant b/c its full every time when my engine is cooled....
Am i doing something wrong??