Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

CEL appeared last night. Intake mods responsible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:22 PM
cusdaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL appeared last night. Intake mods responsible?

Approximately 1.5 months ago, for my 06 350Z, I installed a JWT Pop-Charger, MREV2 and Copper ISO 5/16" spacer. Everything else in the car is stock.

I have been running this setup for the full month and a half with no issues.

Last night, driving on the highway in bad rain, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on and stayed on.

This morning, I took the car to AutoZone and they checked the error code. My car had 2 error codes - one for the front O2 sensor, and the second for the back 02 sensor.

The AutoZone employee reset the error codes and the error has not come back after driving a few hours today.

Even with the CEL was on, I did not notice any issues with the idle any performance degredation when driving.

Does anyone know what could have caused these errors? Was my installation of the intake, spacer or lower plenum incorrect?

Is this something I need to worry about going forward? Any recommendations on what to do next?
Old 12-26-2006, 01:53 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My Toyota does this every so often - driving in a heavy rain must get one of the O2 sensors wet and that trips the CEL. All I do is reset it and no more problems for a year or two until it happens again.

Unless it comes back on by itself, I would attribute it to the rain and it getting wet and wouldn't worry about it. If it does come back on, then you better have the dealer check it as there might be a problem.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:16 PM
cusdaddy

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
My Toyota does this every so often - driving in a heavy rain must get one of the O2 sensors wet and that trips the CEL. All I do is reset it and no more problems for a year or two until it happens again.

Unless it comes back on by itself, I would attribute it to the rain and it getting wet and wouldn't worry about it. If it does come back on, then you better have the dealer check it as there might be a problem.
Thank you very much for the input! It was really wet out there last night so I'm hoping it was caused by the rain.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:19 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too sure about the O2 sensor getting wet. I mean those things get pretty darn hot and all being in the exhaust system. I would think any water would just be evaporated off very quickly if not instantly. But maybe with the O2 sensor after the cat if their is one that could be an issue. Otherwise I would think the heat of the exhaust would cause any water to be a moot point.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 PM
z2g

Most of the time it could be bad gas. I have a mechanic shop and people always come in with o2 sensors code popping up. I always ask where they pump gas and most of the time its some joe blow pumping station. I tell them to go to a good gas station and pump a tank of premium mixed with a fuel additive. 95% of the time it solved their problem.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:51 PM
cusdaddy

Originally Posted by z2g
Most of the time it could be bad gas. I have a mechanic shop and people always come in with o2 sensors code popping up. I always ask where they pump gas and most of the time its some joe blow pumping station. I tell them to go to a good gas station and pump a tank of premium mixed with a fuel additive. 95% of the time it solved their problem.
I did fill up at a Hess station which I have never used before. I'll be staying with the usual places from now on.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:33 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always put BP or mobil 93 never had problems.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:23 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by striker27
Not too sure about the O2 sensor getting wet. I mean those things get pretty darn hot and all being in the exhaust system. I would think any water would just be evaporated off very quickly if not instantly. But maybe with the O2 sensor after the cat if their is one that could be an issue. Otherwise I would think the heat of the exhaust would cause any water to be a moot point.
I think the problem is that a large amount of water hits the sensor causing it to cool down which throws off the readings. That triggers the CEL which stays lit until reset. The sensor heats right back up and continues working normally but you have to manually reset the CEL.

I've had it happen 3X in the last 5 years and every time it happened during a heavy downpour. Not a coincidence IMO. Probably not bad gas because the CEL would keep coming back on until your burned the tank of gas up and replaced it with some good stuff.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:19 PM
cusdaddy

Just a quick update. I drove over 150 miles today and no CEL came on. I'm going to chalk it up to the water