Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen VS. K&N Whats the Difference

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 10:49 PM
MySunset350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Injen VS. K&N Whats the Difference

i was looking over the whole intake/filtration of my Z yesterday.
its seems like its pretty good as is. all it needs is a K&N filter to replace that flimsy paper they call a filter.

NOW here's where i have a problem. wouldnt it b the same if i bought a K&N filter and maybe put in a 3-4 inch tube from the front grill to the stock intake (kinda like a mini ram wanna b thing)
to help direct and increase air flow.........rather then paying 250 for an Injen intake which might or might not give all that much added power??

wouldnt the K&N be a bit more cost effective in this case or will the injen intake really be that big of a difference????

and what about the induction system?? (the flap the opens and closes depending on how heavy ur foot is) doesnt it still have the final say on the amount of air getting in to the main manifold? would i need to also replace that with a bigger one to be able to get the full effect of the injen air intake?????

need some assistance people
Old 03-29-2003, 09:13 AM
350z4steve

there are so many variables to an aftermarket intake/air filter actually adding power unless all things are equal ( temp both air and actual, car being broken in or not, other mods on car, how a test or dyno run is actually made, etc..) It is mainly subjection on your end if you feel that its worth your while to invest in a engineered air intake like an AEM or INJEN etc then by all means go for it or simply just drop in the K&N they all probably add something ..the question is if you think it will be significant in the value dept $$$ then dont expect to much gain if thats the only mod you will ever do. And yes the stock intake on the Z does a fairly good job as it does basically direct cooler air from the front of the car into the intake like the others mentioned above. The choice is yours.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:22 AM
nosuchsol

Default Re: Injen VS. K&N Whats the Difference

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
NOW here's where i have a problem. wouldnt it b the same if i bought a K&N filter and maybe put in a 3-4 inch tube from the front grill to the stock intake (kinda like a mini ram wanna b thing)
to help direct and increase air flow.........rather then paying 250 for an Injen intake which might or might not give all that much added power??
Comptech made a CAI system in design for the Integra. It basically was a stock airbox(with either their filter or a OE filter) with the resonator/snorkel removed and a 2-3"(can't remember) tubing going in front of the front passenger tire(in the bumper and behind the turn signal). It gave the same results as the AEM CAI for the car with that added security. It was pretty expensive.

Key Point:
A guy out ot honda-acura.net made his own system exactly like the Comptech system. He retained the stock airbox, removed the resonator/snorkel and replaced it with plastic piping he got from Home Depot or some. He also had it dyno'd and found that it provided the same benefits as the comptech and AEM.

Go check out the comptech design to see what I'm talking about. You might be able to find the instructions for that CAI on h-a.net but I'm not sure if it's been posted since the server of theirs got screwed. =\