Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Installed new GHL exhaust today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 08:16 PM
JimH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno

Static, Yes, I will be trying to fit in a dyno this Friday for a baseline before the road trip (I already have a stock baseline and "it ain't purty!") and then another at the end of the trip sometime around the end of May, as Droid suggested.
I can get a sound clip, but have no way of hosting it. Volunteers? Regards, Jim

Originally posted by Static
Impressive. Looking forward to seeing the dyno and a possible sound clip if u can manage it.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:23 PM
MATIX

18hp is pretty impressive....how soon till you can dyno it again to see if the extra hp stayed, or if hte ecu compensated to try and lower it back to stock??
Old 03-31-2003, 08:26 PM
JimH

Default Dyno

(see above) This Friday if everything comes together. I am already getting tense as I can see that I am running out of time quickly as I get ready to leave. Regards, Jim
Originally posted by MATIX
18hp is pretty impressive....how soon till you can dyno it again to see if the extra hp stayed, or if hte ecu compensated to try and lower it back to stock??
Old 03-31-2003, 10:41 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you lost .3 of a sec with adding your wheels and tire, where they a lot heavier than stock???
Old 03-31-2003, 10:52 PM
rodH

jim, did you have different exhaust on your car for a while (the dual, exhaust tips on EACH side) and then went to this one, I am confused??
Old 04-01-2003, 01:59 AM
z461

Interesting....does this exhaust drone on the freeway at all?? I know on the freeway it's around the 2500RPM range at 60-75mph in 5th and 6th gear.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:43 AM
2003z

did you do the baseline dyno with the new wheels or stock ones. If its stock, you may want to use them for the redyno, as the heavier aftermarkets will cut some power.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:38 AM
JimH

Rod, I lost .3 when I went from the stock 17" 235/50 040's to the 18" 275/40. My aftermarket wheel/tire combo are, in fact, 3lbs. lighter than the stock 17's in the rear & 5lbs. lighter in front. The reason for the loss is twofold. 1) Larger diameter tire has the effect of a higher final gear ratio and as a result my 60' times have suffered. 2) The 275 Nitto Extreme has a much larger footprint AND it is a much stickier tire than the Bridgestone oem tire is/was. As a result, I am having a more difficult time launching as it wants to bog off the line because the Nitto's hook up right away, especially as I am running an auto with a high rearend ratio when compared to the 6MT final drive. You guys w/6MT can bring the revs up before dumping the clutch, I must power brake to get the rears to break loose when I stage and w/040's this was easy. The Nitto's won't let me break them loose in the same way. This is why I am going to the 6MT rearend next week to get the grunt down low that I lost. Overall, the exhaust, intake and gearing changes I have made this week will get me back to the high 13's/low 14's, I'm sure. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by rodH
you lost .3 of a sec with adding your wheels and tire, where they a lot heavier than stock???
Old 04-01-2003, 06:45 AM
JimH

Default Exhaust

Rod, Yes, I had a FlowMaster muffler and the quad tips on before I changed to the GHL exhaust system yesterday. The GHL tips are close to the stock tips, but are just slightly oval. If you look closely you can tell the difference, but normal observers can tell no difference in the tips from stock. It is however, quickly apparent that it is an aftermarket exhaust system when you see the polished muffler in place of the flat black stock unit when viewing from the back. Pix to follow. Regards, Jim

jim, did you have different exhaust on your car for a while (the dual, exhaust tips on EACH side) and then went to this one, I am confused??
Old 04-01-2003, 02:37 PM
webcarconnection

Post dyno and pics, please!
Old 04-01-2003, 02:58 PM
rodH

Default Re: Exhaust

Originally posted by JimH
Rod, Yes, I had a FlowMaster muffler and the quad tips on before I changed to the GHL exhaust system yesterday. The GHL tips are close to the stock tips, but are just slightly oval. If you look closely you can tell the difference, but normal observers can tell no difference in the tips from stock. It is however, quickly apparent that it is an aftermarket exhaust system when you see the polished muffler in place of the flat black stock unit when viewing from the back. Pix to follow. Regards, Jim
Jim, thank you for the replies, the 1/4 times makes sense, when you bring into light the 5AT situation.

I like the new exhaust look, MUCH more, the dual seemed to look very cheap (no offense), I think you went the RIGHT direction, any idea how the 3 (flowmaster VS stock VS GHL compare in HP)???
Old 04-01-2003, 03:33 PM
JimH

Default Re: Re: Exhaust

Rod, I am in hopes of getting on the dyno this Friday. I want to dyno not only for the new exhaust and filter upgrade, but something to compare to when I return from my trip sometime in May after 7,000 miles. Regards, Jim

Jim, thank you for the replies, the 1/4 times makes sense, when you bring into light the 5AT situation.

I like the new exhaust look, MUCH more, the dual seemed to look very cheap (no offense), I think you went the RIGHT direction, any idea how the 3 (flowmaster VS stock VS GHL compare in HP)???
Old 04-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Rob Nance

I have never drag raced an automatic, but I have a wild idea. With traction control off of course, drive through the water box, but don't burn out. I used to always have fun accelerating hard in the wet on sportbikes. I even ran almost as fast as my best ET on my GSX-R 750 in the wet. If you can't slip the clutch/rev, simulate it at the tire level! Certainly worth a shot.

Originally posted by JimH
Rod, I lost .3 when I went from the stock 17" 235/50 040's to the 18" 275/40. My aftermarket wheel/tire combo are, in fact, 3lbs. lighter than the stock 17's in the rear & 5lbs. lighter in front. The reason for the loss is twofold. 1) Larger diameter tire has the effect of a higher final gear ratio and as a result my 60' times have suffered. 2) The 275 Nitto Extreme has a much larger footprint AND it is a much stickier tire than the Bridgestone oem tire is/was. As a result, I am having a more difficult time launching as it wants to bog off the line because the Nitto's hook up right away, especially as I am running an auto with a high rearend ratio when compared to the 6MT final drive. You guys w/6MT can bring the revs up before dumping the clutch, I must power brake to get the rears to break loose when I stage and w/040's this was easy. The Nitto's won't let me break them loose in the same way. This is why I am going to the 6MT rearend next week to get the grunt down low that I lost. Overall, the exhaust, intake and gearing changes I have made this week will get me back to the high 13's/low 14's, I'm sure. Regards, Jim
Old 04-01-2003, 11:47 PM
12SecZ

I have never drag raced an automatic, but I have a wild idea. With traction control off of course, drive through the water box, but don't burn out.
My track won't allow that it leaves water dribbles down the track and is dangerous,

If you don't have DR's or slicks go around the water box.

Jim H your car is soooo tight!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:08 AM
JimH

Default 5AT

MaxHax, Lets keep the banner flyin' high on our 5AT's! Regards, Jim
Old 04-02-2003, 08:11 AM
12SecZ

Default You got it Jim

I have a date with the track at 5pm today!

And the rain is gone and the skies are clear!

Wish me luck!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:58 AM
JimH

Default Re: You got it Jim

Good deal! I need some times, etc. from you as I am doing mine when I return in May. BTW, have you gone to 18's from the 17's? I lost .3 from wheel/tire change. What about you? I think I will start w/50 shot, but really want to go to 75 as soon as things get sorted out. Let me know your thoughts and good luck tonight!
I am supposed to run this Friday nite, but with the road trip looming, I am backing away from running so close to hitting the road for the next 6 weeks on Tuesday. All I need is to break something on Friday while planning to leave on a 6 week road trip on Tuesday! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by MaxHax
I have a date with the track at 5pm today!

And the rain is gone and the skies are clear!

Wish me luck!
Old 04-02-2003, 11:47 AM
EnthusiastZ

Any sound clips for this exhaust yet?
Old 04-02-2003, 12:03 PM
12SecZ

Yeah,

I am on 18's, hindsight is 20/20 I should have an extra set of 16's with DR's if I was going to be a track animal but I mostly wanted a fast car with great looks.

I don't think I will be beat this car up all season like last year.

But, I just filled the bottle and CGQ is drying on it as we speak.

I'm bringing my camera. My website will have some updates and hopefully some good time slips.

I have those 18's on Nitto 555's but they are lighter than stock, much lighter. I think I can hook on them but you just never know.

This will be my first trip to the track with this car.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:23 PM
sicktypes

soo...you were running high 13's/low 14's in a stock automatic Z (w/ 17's) ???...and this is in Arizona...that sounds pretty impressive...some magazine can't break mid 14's in a 6 spd. track Z...

Quick Reply: Installed new GHL exhaust today.