Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Installed new GHL exhaust today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 02:55 PM
JimH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new GHL exhaust today.

"Woohoo" I like it! It is much lighter than stock. Tho I didn't weigh it, the parts mgr. did and claimed it was 22.5lbs. lighter than stock setup. I hoisted the muffler/tip assy. and it is LIGHT! Nicely finished w/polished stainless. I have a dyno print out in front of me and it does indeed give a whopping 18hp/10tq down low and that is exactly where I needed it when I lost 3/10 sec. by going from 17" 235 to 18" 275 rears. I was/am very dissappointed over that huge loss, but this 18/10 addition will help. Already my bd tells me there are some nice things going on now with the GHL being "learned" by the ECU after the first 100 miles or so. Next week the 6MT differential (3.54) will be installed in Atlanta in place of the higher 3.35 auto rear and I think I will be back to high 13's/low 14's in my auto. I also had a good conversation with the folks at RMRacing (they mfg. CAI for a lot of cars) and they maintain that the stock intake is optimal on the 350 and recommended I not go with one from them or any other aftermarket CAI's. They did however, suggest I change the stock air filter to a TrueFlow 3 stage filter, which I did. Overall, I am enthusiastic with the response I have gotten from these two mods. Regards, Jim
Old 03-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Default Please post pics!!!

How's the fit and finish? How much? Want to know!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 03:02 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Please post the dyno.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:27 PM
2003z

So you are going to be in atlanta?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:37 PM
menehune

Hey JimH, how much did the ring and pinion (or third member assembly) cost you? Let us know how it pull's after the install.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:22 PM
JimH

Default Re: Please post pics!!!

Moodie, Fit and finish look very, very good to me. The exhaust is a Y-back and also does away w/pre-silencer. My local Nissan dealership is the only one selling it in the Phoenix area and it goes for $1,250, BUT it is $995 to MY350Z.com members. It was $80 to install.
It is louder than stock when pressed. It is deeper and more guttural than other after market systems I have heard. It is a VERY authoritive and distinctive note. Yet, it just purrs when normal throttle is applied. It p/u the exhaust pulses more than I have ever heard before from other exhausts and that is a very heady sound that I really like. I find myself rolling down the window when I am beside a wall or between bldgs. just to hear that staccato bouncing back
Unique in the industry is the fact that if you do not like the exhaust note you can return it, within two weeks, for a full refund. Ever hear of that before?
The only caveat I would offer is that it does drone a bit around 2,000 rpm and I can deal with a little of that for an additional 18hp! It is not really a problem as I select another gear if I am in that rpm range for very long and 2,000 rpm is not usually an area I am in very long.
I will post pix tomorrow. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by Moodie
How's the fit and finish? How much? Want to know!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:29 PM
JimH

2003z, Yes, I plan on being in Atlanta on April 9 &10 or 10 &11. In any event the 10th for sure. Just long enough to get the rearend swapped out and probably stay overnight. Then I go on to Fla. You gonna' be around those parts (Atlanta) around then, lets say hello. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by 2003z
So you are going to be in atlanta?
Old 03-31-2003, 06:39 PM
JimH

Default Gears

Menehune, I will have a laptop along the next 6 weeks on the road and I plan to post some "over the road" thoughts here as I travel thru April and May. I especially want to get a long term evaluation of the Eibachs and also to see if the feathering issue rears its ugly head over the 6-7k miles on the road. With the new type air filter combined w/new exhaust system and tied together w/lower rearend gears, I am looking forward to some rolling testbed type of posts here on MY350Z.com over the next 6 weeks.
The ring and pinion (only) runs $483 from Courtesy. Install is another $500. I opted to get the whole differential swapped out for a total of $450 from a wrecked 6MT w/1,400 miles on it. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by menehune
Hey JimH, how much did the ring and pinion (or third member assembly) cost you? Let us know how it pull's after the install.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:01 PM
2003z

my father in law is going to be visiting, maybe we can still get some kind of group meet going though
Old 03-31-2003, 07:02 PM
JimH

Default Atlanta meet

Super! I would look forward to that in a big way! Keep me posted. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by 2003z
my father in law is going to be visiting, maybe we can still get some kind of group meet going though
Old 03-31-2003, 07:04 PM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Default Re: Re: Please post pics!!!

Originally posted by JimH
Moodie, Fit and finish look very, very good to me. The exhaust is a Y-back and also does away w/pre-silencer. My local Nissan dealership is the only one selling it in the Phoenix area and it goes for $1,250, BUT it is $995 to MY350Z.com members. It was $80 to install.
It is louder than stock when pressed. It is deeper and more guttural than other after market systems I have heard. It is a VERY authoritive and distinctive note. Yet, it just purrs when normal throttle is applied. It p/u the exhaust pulses more than I have ever heard before from other exhausts and that is a very heady sound that I really like. I find myself rolling down the window when I am beside a wall or between bldgs. just to hear that staccato bouncing back
Unique in the industry is the fact that if you do not like the exhaust note you can return it, within two weeks, for a full refund. Ever hear of that before?
The only caveat I would offer is that it does drone a bit around 2,000 rpm and I can deal with a little of that for an additional 18hp! It is not really a problem as I select another gear if I am in that rpm range for very long and 2,000 rpm is not usually an area I am in very long.
I will post pix tomorrow. Regards, Jim
Thanks Jim,

Can't wait to see some pics. Some sound clips.....even better. Hope I am not asking too much, but I bet most on the board are curious and excited. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2003, 07:23 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JimH
They did however, suggest I change the stock air filter to a TrueFlow 3 stage filter, which I did. Overall, I am enthusiastic with the response I have gotten from these two mods. Regards, Jim
Can you give more info on the filter? How much, where to buy?

Also, please re-dyno after you return home from the road trip to see if your gains stay intact. I'll chip in if need be. My personal experience says not to trust instant mod gains, rather run dynos after several hundred miles.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:28 PM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a little information for you that might help you out on that rear end swap........
The diff sizing is differnet between a manual trans mission and an autamatic transmission.
We have learned this from getting our spare parts form Nissan Motorsports and noticed we had two differnt sized diff's.....the stock one that came with the car and for some reason we received a spare stock diff.
I have the pictures back at work to show you but.....
The backspacing is differnt for the drive gear between the two. This would make the ring and pinion both differnet thicknesses.I can send you the pictures tomorrow......
and just trying to help.
The GHL exhaust looks like a great set up.
Cheers
BJ

Last edited by dwnshift; 03-31-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:31 PM
alphaz

Jim,
What part of Atlanta are you going to be in. I would love to see and hear what you have done with your Z.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:38 PM
JimH

Default Atlanta

alphaez, I don't know what part of Atlanta I will be in, but I will be over in Temple, Ga. on Z business and will be staying in Atlanta overnight. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by alphaz
Jim,
What part of Atlanta are you going to be in. I would love to see and hear what you have done with your Z.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:47 PM
alphaz

When you figure out where and when you will be in Atlanta let us know. We would love to see and hear the mods you have put on.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:49 PM
cobf32

Thumbs up

Jim,

Which local dealer is selling this? (Pinnacle?)
I'm very interested in this exhaust, especially if it gives a slightly louder / lower tone. 18 hp is GREAT!

Thanks

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix Az
Old 03-31-2003, 07:58 PM
JimH

Default GHL Dealer

I spoke to GHL today and they indicated that West Valley Nissan (downtown Glendale) is their only outlet. WV has two still in stock and they installed mine as soon as I asked after listening to one they had installed on one of their new cars on the lot. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes and I am pleased w/their work. Be sure and tell them this is via MY350Z.com for the lower price. Talk to Joe (parts mgr.). Yes, the power increase is noticable as are the decibels!
Interesting note, I installed the new (TrueFlow) air filter last Friday and did not detect any audible changes @ WOT. After the exhaust was installed today, I clearly hear the intake "pullin air"! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by cobf32
Jim,

Which local dealer is selling this? (Pinnacle?)
I'm very interested in this exhaust, especially if it gives a slightly louder / lower tone. 18 hp is GREAT!

Thanks

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix Az
Old 03-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Static

Impressive. Looking forward to seeing the dyno and a possible sound clip if u can manage it.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:07 PM
JimH

Default TrueFlow filter

Droid, Try this: http://www.gcaindustries.com/
As I mentioned in another post, after installing the GHL exhaust today, I clearly hear the (stock) intake working thru the TrueFlow filter ($51) as never before. It really appears to have validated the "more air (combustion) out, more air in and vice versa!
I have a lot of respect for a man that makes his living mfg. and selling CAI gear telling me "we have tested and tried, but the oem intake is as close to right as you can get and in our opinion you will gain nothing by going to one of ours or other cai units for the 350Z " Regards, Jim

Originally posted by droidekaus
Can you give more info on the filter? How much, where to buy?

Also, please re-dyno after you return home from the road trip to see if your gains stay intact. I'll chip in if need be. My personal experience says not to trust instant mod gains, rather run dynos after several hundred miles.

Quick Reply: Installed new GHL exhaust today.