Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Better Heat Sheild for the Pop Charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:48 PM
kh_08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jondimellow
Summer is just about here in Cali.... has someone written up a DIY or know somewhere to buy a "cost effective" heat shield for the pop charger?
I've been thinking about the same thing, the varis duct seems like a viable option, only thing is that it rains like crazy here in the summer - anyone know if this affects the intake with water having a direct path to the pop charger?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

its been a while since i last saw a stock airbox..

i have one in my hands now...

what i would suggest some one to do:

1. replace upper piping with something like the Fujita Air pipe or say like a carbon one off ebay.
2. the stock airbox is fairly well built, however that velocity stack, even in the 06s seems kinda weak sauce. put a pipe THROUGH the hole where the maf housing attaches to the air box, then cut open your airbox along the seams (side ) they are glued together from factory, maybe a heat gun would seperate? and attach just the velocity stack from the pop charger or a generic one you can get at pepboys.. what we're looking here is gradual radius

sorta like this:

but inside the box-

3. then put your k&n filter over it and enclose the box

feesible? i dunno. Mike. wanna try it out?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Track
What????

I've never seen this (never seen one in-person). Can the hole be "plugged?" WTF would Stillen put a hole in their heat shield? They all have this?
I couldn't believe it either... I only noticed it after he revved his motor and I didn't feel any suction at the inlet ( )! Then I inspected it a little closer and realized the problem. I asked him if he wanted me to patch it, never got around to doing it, lol.

I think placing an air-flow-smoothing-ring on the end of my Fujita pipe may be more trouble than its worth. But thats just my undocumented opinion

Zquicksilver
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

make draw!
Attached Thumbnails Better Heat Sheild for the Pop Charger-wtf_stockairbox.jpg  
Old 05-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
its been a while since i last saw a stock airbox..

i have one in my hands now...

what i would suggest some one to do:

1. replace upper piping with something like the Fujita Air pipe or say like a carbon one off ebay.
2. the stock airbox is fairly well built, however that velocity stack, even in the 06s seems kinda weak sauce. put a pipe THROUGH the hole where the maf housing attaches to the air box, then cut open your airbox along the seams (side ) they are glued together from factory, maybe a heat gun would seperate? and attach just the velocity stack from the pop charger or a generic one you can get at pepboys.. what we're looking here is gradual radius

sorta like this:

but inside the box-

3. then put your k&n filter over it and enclose the box

feesible? i dunno. Mike. wanna try it out?
I'm kinda interested in trying it out of course.

Any suggestions on a good adhesive / epoxy that will hold firmly, seal, and not release WTF vapors into my engine?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 PM
jondimellow

what about the pressure drop effects of a flat filter vs one from a cone filter..... the cone filter would have less, that is why they make more hp..... we need to figure out how zquicksilver made his... and sell it.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Rev-em-hard

I wish i was home because if i was then I would fab up the stock box right now!

wired,

you got to try this! and let us know how it worked.you are the engineer guy.

CHRIS(Just trying to put some fuel on the fire)
Old 05-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Chad68

Summer is just about here in Cali.... has someone written up a DIY or know somewhere to buy a "cost effective" heat shield for the pop charger?

Dude you can have my Pop Charger heat sheild if you want it??

I never installed it. PM me if you want to pick it up.

edit......

Oh never mind you want a 'better' one LOL

Last edited by Chad68; 05-13-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:41 AM
ke0ki2k

soooo I have an 06, is a K&N drop in my only option? are there no ways i can net power from intakes? and would a duct in the bumper really be worth the money?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:01 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took Audiable Mayhem's advice just to see and took my pop charger out this weekend. Then put the '06 air box back in with a K&N drop in filter. Then I reset the ecu so it could relearn the intake. I'm gonna drive it around for a week to see if I like that setup better. If not, I'll throw the pop charger back in.

(I also did the swap because I had another issue with my Bank 1/2 AFR's being off by .20 volts in the upper RPM range. Thought the pop charger might be distrupting the MAF)

I did notice right off the bat that throttle response was not as crisp with the '06 air box K&N combo. But that could be from the ecu reset too... I also noticed performance was more consistent with the '06 air box than the pop charger power-wise since the '06 air box is not nearly as prone to heat soak as the pop charger.

Pop charger Pros = Better air flow, better throttle response.
'06 air box Pros = More consistent power, not as susceptible to heat soak.

So the question becomes; Does the additional airflow of the pop charger out weight it's disposition for heatsoak? Or -- Said another way; Does the '06 air box/ K&N dropin make up for slightly less air flow by not having as much heat soak?

We'll see...

Edit: I was talking with a friend this weekend that suggested wrapping the intake tube in Header tape to keep the tube cool. I never even thought of that!! Wouldn't look real pretty, but would certainly be effective~ Just thought I'd share. :-)

Last edited by gothchick; 05-13-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:07 AM
BaTMan_4

good ideas. out of topic i have an injen and all this heat talk has got me wondering if...since the injen SRi is supposed to give gains (just like any intake) but it is a metal (can't conduct heat) if the intake system has some sort of special coating on the outside that helps conduction of heat...and now i want to go drive my car around town and come back and take off the filter and feel how hot it is compared on the inside of the tube compared to the outside (curiosity/boredom owns me right now).

also im shure many of you guys know how the injen filter is closed at the top as compared to the JWT which is open....would you all recommend on getting an Apex-i filter???
Old 05-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gothchick
I took Audiable Mayhem's advice just to see and took my pop charger out this weekend. Then put the '06 air box back in with a K&N drop in filter. Then I reset the ecu so it could relearn the intake. I'm gonna drive it around for a week to see if I like that setup better. If not, I'll throw the pop charger back in.

(I also did the swap because I had another issue with my Bank 1/2 AFR's being off by .20 volts in the upper RPM range. Thought the pop charger might be distrupting the MAF)

I did notice right off the bat that throttle response was not as crisp with the '06 air box K&N combo. But that could be from the ecu reset too... I also noticed performance was more consistent with the '06 air box than the pop charger power-wise since the '06 air box is not nearly as prone to heat soak as the pop charger.

Pop charger Pros = Better air flow, better throttle response.
'06 air box Pros = More consistent power, not as susceptible to heat soak.

So the question becomes; Does the additional airflow of the pop charger out weight it's disposition for heatsoak? Or -- Said another way; Does the '06 air box/ K&N dropin make up for slightly less air flow by not having as much heat soak?

We'll see...

Edit: I was talking with a friend this weekend that suggested wrapping the intake tube in Header tape to keep the tube cool. I never even thought of that!! Wouldn't look real pretty, but would certainly be effective~ Just thought I'd share. :-)

Won't be as effective as you think...because what really happens is the entire ENGINE BAY heat soaks, not just the intake.

So no matter what, you will be sucking hot air with the popcharger... at least to some extent
Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Zquicksilver

we need to figure out how zquicksilver made his... and sell it.

LOL... I just sold my design to Fujita... j/k! bwhahahahahha! I would like to design my own CAI and sell it, but I have too many other things going on at the moment. Like getting married in the next few months and remodeling a home. I wish I had the time to bring a lot of products to market, some automotive related and some not. I would probably be rich if I could just focus... ok, now I'm depressing myself, lol...

The only problem with my setup is... you have to loosen the rubber coupling on the TB, loosen the mid-mount bolt, then take off two wing nuts on the box just to remove the filter. But I only clean my filter twice a year, so I don't really care. If I had a stock box and limited resources, I would just install a bell from PepBoys in the stock box and throw a K&N in there for giggles.

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 05-16-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
So no matter what, you will be sucking hot air with the popcharger... at least to some extent
True... That accounts for the pop charger's inconsistent performance.

The '06 air box has a velocity stack behind the filter very similar to the pop charger's... But the factory air box is technically a cold air intake. So - Wrapping the intake tube with Header tape would further help keep the air charge cooler... I'd be curious by how much though... I guess every little bit helps. If the air charge is cooler, that in turn would keep the plenum cooler too...

Last edited by gothchick; 05-14-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Zquicksilver

I think I've said this before, IMO a hot metal intake pipe will cool off significantly once the ambient air starts to surge through it. I couldn't imagine any significant affect, especially at that velocity.
I've popped my hood right after a hard run when its 65-70' out, the intake pipe is semi-warm and the plenum is cool. Which indicates the pipe was cool also, only seconds before I turned off the car and popped the hood!

I would consider the affect as null... I wouldn't spend money wrapping it or worry that it’s metal or plastic.

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 05-14-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
gothchick

My observations after a few days of running with the stock airbox back on:

'06 airbox with K&N dropin = Pulls slightly better off the line after the car has been idling/ heating up awhile (like at a stop light or sitting in traffic).

Pop charger = Pulls slightly better on the freeway after the car is moving with cool air flowing through the engine bay.

I'm gonna seriuosly start thinking of a way to mod the '06 airbox to accept the pop charger filter so I can have the best of both. Maybe if I cut the '06 airbox in half (giving a front half & a back half). Then Epoxy a middle section extension to elongate the box & make it air tight, that might give it enough room for the pop charger filter. That would require shortening the intake tube to accomodate a longer airbox.... Sort of like Chebosto's idea, but with the pop charger... Hmmm just thinking...

Last edited by gothchick; 05-15-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Track

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gothchick
... Hmmm just thinking...
And doing a damn good job at it, too! Mega-props for the reports and updates. With people like you and Wired working on this, we'll have a sure solution soon.

Outstanding.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:34 PM
World Famous Z

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
stillen intake or 06+ intake box, your choice.
I agree +1 on stillen.

I went from a JWT to a Stillen intake, and noticed a huge reduction in intake air temps. I measured them with my blitz RVIT, which measures intake air temps from the Mass Air Sensor.

+1 on stillen for good performance and an airbox that actually works
Old 05-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Track

Originally Posted by Tony@RiversideInfiniti
I agree +1 on stillen.

I went from a JWT to a Stillen intake, and noticed a huge reduction in intake air temps. I measured them with my blitz RVIT, which measures intake air temps from the Mass Air Sensor.

+1 on stillen for good performance and an airbox that actually works
Thank you for the report!!!! That rocks.

I've read every thread on this board with the word "Stillen" in it, just to find if this was really the box for me (after about 50 hours -literally- of searching, I decided on the Stillen over the many other fine choices).

I also read where the Stillen has an opening in the bottom that does not show in the pictures. Can you verify this? Is this a hole that could be covered without harming anything? How big?

How does it sound compared to the JWT? I've heard they ALL sound somewhat alike, but you are the only one I know who has tried them both back-to-back. So.... How about the sound comparison? Is there really a difference?

Sorry for all the questions. Believe me, I've searched (and searched and searched....).
Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 AM
tranceformer95

I would just get a Stillen intake and call it a day. I've gone from the '05 intake w/ K&N drop-in, to a JWT, back to the '05 w/ K&N, then to a Stillen. The hole in the bottom, i don't think its that big of a deal. I might try someone's suggestion of black duct tape to fill the gap. I'll see if i can get a decent picture of it today.

Quick Reply: Better Heat Sheild for the Pop Charger