Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Silencing the NISMO

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:17 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, when I had headers and test pipes on the stock exhaust... I heard the intake/spacer combo more than the exhaust. I was highly disappointed lol.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Track
I know, I know... it is odd for someone in a performance vehicle to complain about the noise. But you know, it was the dozens and dozens of comments like yours (that the NISMO is too quiet) that inspired my (false) confidence that it wouldn't drone or sound like a Mustang.

And it does. My Z sounds like a Mustang now.
Dude, my friend said my car in the high RPM's sounds like a crotch rocket. Are we driving the same car?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got use to frightening people with my Nismo exhaust, LOL!
(intake, spacer, headers, HFCs and exhaust equal LOUD at WOT!!)

The Nismo exhaust is pretty damn nice IMO... fit, construction, look. The only problem I've had with mine, the flex-sections have fallen apart (the inside) not outside. I think the heat/hot gasses have ruined them. The metallic cats don't stop much, so the next section would be the Y-pipe flex-sections. They are shot! I keep bandaging them... but I'm about to get a quote on fixing them with something Heavy Duty.

I'll let you know if that quiets things down some.

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 06-15-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:24 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by Armitage
Dude, my friend said my car in the high RPM's sounds like a crotch rocket. Are we driving the same car?
Same here. I've heard near redline sounds like either a bike or an F1 car. I figured that was a good thing because those sound badass.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Track

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blasian
Same here. I've heard near redline sounds like either a bike or an F1 car. I figured that was a good thing because those sound badass.
It sounds like a mustang at WOT from about 2000rpms - 4500rpms, and then it starts sounding pretty cool (but LOUD) up to the redline.

It drowns out the sound of my intake slurping and the underhood growl from my Motordyne components.

If I had this to do over again, I would have bought the NISMO r-tune headers and kept the factory cat-back. I bet that sounds awesome.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
teggy

sell it to me i live in the houston area!!
Old 06-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Track

Originally Posted by teggy
sell it to me i live in the houston area!!
Seriously?

I just got back from SGP, and Mark said he'd do the swap for us if I found someone who wanted it (Mark at SGP rocks!). But first, of course, we'd have to wait until my Tanabe comes in, which might be a couple of days.

If you are serious, PM me and maybe we can work something out. It was just installed yesterday (by the Stealership) and has less than 50 miles on the exhaust.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your putting on a Tanabe exhaust because you think the Nismo is too loud!? You might be in for a surprise there.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:58 PM
blasian

Run open headers.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Track

Originally Posted by Armitage
Your putting on a Tanabe exhaust because you think the Nismo is too loud!? You might be in for a surprise there.
The Tanabe Medalion Touring is the one I'm looking at. They are supposed to be less than 93 db's. It sounds like you may know something about the Fuji's that I do not.

Can you please expand on that a bit? It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM
dubbzdiggler

Man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tail pipe
Old 06-15-2007, 01:28 PM
teggy

Originally Posted by Track
Seriously?

I just got back from SGP, and Mark said he'd do the swap for us if I found someone who wanted it (Mark at SGP rocks!). But first, of course, we'd have to wait until my Tanabe comes in, which might be a couple of days.

If you are serious, PM me and maybe we can work something out. It was just installed yesterday (by the Stealership) and has less than 50 miles on the exhaust.
how much? hell yea im serious lol well that depends on price of course. let me know how much? so i can see whats up.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Have you thought about trying to add the factory mid-pipe back in? That resonator is really efficient - and filters pulse very well.

Rick

Worth a try but I'd do a before/after on the dyno, to determine how much power it's losing...

In terms of restrictions, an orifice-style diameter reduction (sudden decrease) is the worst.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:12 AM
Track

I was just doing some more searching, and I found that the NISMO Y-pipe is only 2.5 inches with a 3" outlet, but the OEM mid-pipe is also 2.5 inches.

SO.... are we really looking at a bottleneck here? I'd gladly give up a couple of ponies for a quieter NISMO, but it seems as if this configuration would still make more power than the OEM exhaust due to the better Y-pipe and the freer flowing NISMO exhuast canister.

My only concern is that this may make it higher in pitch, which is harder on the ears IMO.

What say you?
Old 06-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

I'm very interested in dyno before and afters. If all you're concerned with is sound, it's a very easy thing to try. That's if the pipe bolts up perfectly.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:38 AM
Track

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I'm very interested in dyno before and afters.
I'll talk to Mark at SGP and see what he can arrange. I'm curious too. I just hope it bolts up without any problems or needed fabrication.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Devil Z

How do I make my 2.5" test pipe and 2.5" straight pipe combination louder? I want it to be louder. Not loud enough for my tastes right now.

Any ideas?

(BTW, I'm dead serious, even though my exhaust is already freakish loud).
Old 06-16-2007, 02:40 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Side exit? lol
Old 06-16-2007, 02:41 AM
Track

Wouldn't that be a different thread altogether?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Track

I just went and picked up my OEM mid-pipe to take to SGP this week. I plan on dyno testing the full NISMO, and then testing the NISMO with the factory mid-pipe.

This will keep the exhaust diameter at 2.5 inches from the cats all the way back to the rear muffler section, where it increases to 3 inches. I'm curious to see how the higher exhaust velocities combined with the factory resonator will react regarding 1) sound and 2) power. I'm just hoping that the sudden drop in velocity at the end may have odd accoustic consequences: thus the test.

If I get a chance this week (and if Mark has time at SGP), I will run it out there and get dyno's of the car with both configurations, and hopefully a sound clip of each. I have found a decibel meter at Radio Shack, and I intend to take that with me so I can give you all some emperical results in both hp numbers and sound "numbers" (db's).

The reported numbers so far:

Factory at Idle: 81 db
OEM at 3000 rpm: 89 db

NISMO at Idle: 84
NISMO at 3000rpm: 95

FYI: Every increase of 3 db doubles the accoustic energy of a sound.

I'm looking for something around 92 db (max) without a significant sacrifice in hp. I'll give up as much as 5 hp to get the sound I want and keep the looks (and history) of the NISMO.

If I can't get what I want out of the NISMO, I'll start over with the Tanabe Touring Medalion and do this whole thing again.

I would LOVE to hear any suggestions. Any and all help is not only welcome, but solicited. That's right... you've been solicited.

Quick Reply: Silencing the NISMO