Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Silencing the NISMO

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 AM
mikead_99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Track
If I get a chance this week (and if Mark has time at SGP), I will run it out there and get dyno's of the car with both configurations, and hopefully a sound clip of each. I have found a decibel meter at Radio Shack, and I intend to take that with me so I can give you all some emperical results in both hp numbers and sound "numbers" (db's).

The reported numbers so far:

Factory at Idle: 81 db
OEM at 3000 rpm: 89 db

NISMO at Idle: 84
NISMO at 3000rpm: 95

FYI: Every increase of 3 db doubles the accoustic energy of a sound.

I'm looking for something around 92 db (max) without a significant sacrifice in hp. I'll give up as much as 5 hp to get the sound I want and keep the looks (and history) of the NISMO.
Where are you placing the meter? Your numbers are fairly comparable to Nismo's claims, I'm just curious where you are placing the meter to get this measurement as distance and orientation will really skew the results.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Track

Originally Posted by mikead_99
Where are you placing the meter? Your numbers are fairly comparable to Nismo's claims, I'm just curious where you are placing the meter to get this measurement as distance and orientation will really skew the results.
Those are numbers I researched; I've yet to do my own. To establish a similar distance used in the tests I reported, I will use a known variable (stock exhaust) and move the meter back until it reads the reported level.

That distance will be marked and all further recordings will be taken from the same distance in the same spot. My goal is a peak of 93 decibels, with 92 db's at 3000 rpm with no load. I am now seeking a muffler shop competent to handle the multiple changes (as I test and retest) for a reasonable fee.

In the end, I will test that system against the full NISMO exhaust on the dyno, and adjust as necessary to get the most of both worlds while retaining the NISMO canister and tips and keeping with all Nissan/NISMO parts.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:17 AM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha it's kinda funny, cuz whereas I want to to make my car to
sound like Aston Martin V8 Vantage(but of course not possible),
you want to make your exhaust as quiet as possible hehe

Last edited by gsazabi; 06-16-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Track

Yeah, I know it sounds contradictive to want the NISMO exhaust but not want all the sound associated with it, but I think the stock sound is just PERRRfect. But I want the NISMO exhaust on principle and aesthetics. It's just kinda a project. Who knows what I'll do with it next?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Track

Okay, the appointment is set at SGP. We are going to do 3 runs on the full NISMO and I will record the decibel level, and then they are going to swap out mid-pipes and do three more runs to compare, and I will again record the db's with the meter they sell at Radio Shack (unless anyone in the Houston area has a better meter and would like to meet me at SGP to help out).

The goal is to get the NISMO below 93 db's without losing all the power gains from the NISMO. I also would like it get close to the stock tone.

At 93 db's, it will still be twice as loud as stock (instead of 4x).

I would also like to capture the tone or note in an empiracle manner (for future comparisons), so if anyone has a tool to measure the sound frequency and would like to help out, shoot me a PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a fun project, and much cheaper than buying another exhaust!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Track

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Sounds like a fun project, and much cheaper than buying another exhaust!
I've run the numbers, and since I already have the Y-pipe, this is costing almost exactly the same as the best price I've found on the Tanabe Y-back Touring (due to the dyno runs).

On a good note, Stillen sells the same diameter Y-pipe as NISMO, and they claim it works fine with the factory midpipe and even claim it makes gains, so I may be in a much better position than I thought.

I now have my entire old exhaust back in my possession, and I will be working on several options. My goal is to gain a couple of ponies while keeping the sound below 95 db's and w/o altering the note. I do NOT want it deeper. I want the same note as OEM (as close as possible), but with a better flow and nicer tips (NISMO).

I'm always open for suggestions. Meanwhile I'll will be brainstorming possibilities.