Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Attention Popcharger Owners!!! Unique problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:51 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Attention Popcharger Owners!!! Unique problem?

I've had my Popcharger on my '06 G35 coupe for almost a year now and I'm wondering if I'm having a unique problem. First of all, I did search through the countless Popcharger threads (mostly threads about noob questions like "best intake") and did not see any posts mentioning my problem.

I opened my hood today to show somebody my engine bay when I noticed that some of the rubber edge trim around the heat shield and the air scoop had almost completely fallen apart/off. When I got home, I took a closer look and realized that the rubber separated/peeled off from the hard portion that clips on the edges of heat shield and air scoop. It appears that the rubber portion is just glued onto the clips.

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf...STALLATION.PDF
(bottom of page shows the edge trim pieces I'm referring to.)

I'm thinking the Arizona heat is the cause of my problem, but I was wondering if anybody else has experienced the same problem with the rubber edge trim on their popchargers. Am I the only one?

I'm concerned because that edge trim is supposed to help form somewhat of a seal to help keep hot engine bay air from entering the intake. If the edge trim on the popcharger isn't durable enough to withstand Arizona summers, I'm wondering if I should consider another intake alternative like the Stillen intake. Any thoughts guys?

Thanks.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 07-23-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:54 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, even with that rubber piece, the popcharger will still suck up heat. So basically, either way, you will get heatsoak. I wouln't worry about it. I currently have my front bumper off the car and looked underneath and the popcharger rubber peice is not even making a tight seal on the hood anyways. I think its there just block partial heat.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
well, even with that rubber piece, the popcharger will still suck up heat. So basically, either way, you will get heatsoak. I wouln't worry about it. I currently have my front bumper off the car and looked underneath and the popcharger rubber peice is not even making a tight seal on the hood anyways. I think its there just block partial heat.
Ya, I've read posts about the heatsoak issue with the popcharger and I realize that the edge trim pieces don't make a real snug fit or seal. But I'm wondering if any missing edge trim pieces will be more problamatic in the 110+ degree summer temperatures here in AZ.

I was looking at pics of the Stillen intake and noticed that the design incorporates a more enclosed plastic box around the filter and doesn't appear to have a bunch of rubber trim. I'm thinking this might be a more suitable/durable solution.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

BUMP!

Anyone else who has had the same problem with their popcharger?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:07 PM
diwun67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to mine too when I was NA
Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just don't see how worse it can be. There are a bunch of people that use other intakes that don't even have a heatshield at all. The only problem i see is just bogging and tq loss feeling. Your car is still picking up air which the maf sensor will identify. Your car is not going to mess up if that's what you are thinking.

The stillen is a better solution for an intake. Most people buy the popcharger because of the price.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 PM
diwun67

Once you're driving heat soak is a non issue anyway. Do you think air just stays stagnant in the engine bay while you're tooling along on the highway or down your neighborhood street?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:41 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Thanks guys.

I wasn't worried about it messing up or damaging the engine or anything. I was wondering if it might cause any performance loss in the AZ heat. I figured the popcharger comes with edge trim for a reason.

I was also curious to see if edge trim falling apart was an unusual problem or something that is actually common but generally not discussed.

If I just got a bad batch of edge trim, I intend to replace it. But if this is a more common or recurring problem, then I intend to replace my popcharger with something more durable until I'm able to go FI.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 AM
zodiac

Glad to see this thread today... I'm looking at making a custom shield next weekend, to help drop intake temps on my popcharger. I'll double check today, but I don't believe that my edging was jacked on mine. If you search (don't remember who posted it originally) you should find a post by a guy who made his own rubbermaid "container" for his popcharger. He used a rubbermaid office trashcan to help seal the popcharger off from the engine bay. Pretty nice design work...especially considering the price LOL. I'll probably be using aluminum for mine..I'll post pics as soon I get time to get it done and installed. You might even be able to get a replacement container from of a Stillen or typhoon (or who ever makes the segregation conatiners on their intakes). I'm in joke-lahoma and we've been hitting 103+ recently...I have DEFINITELY noticed heatsoak on mine too. (sure...we're not hell's furnace like you guys are...but DAMN) LOL
Lemme know what you end up doing...
: )

BTW...say Hi to my in-laws...they're in PV.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:37 AM
zodiac

Found it....By ZQuicksilver (sp)

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=rubbermaid

half way down...pics will enlarge.

Last edited by zodiac; 08-15-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think someone needs to really know just what heat soak really is (psst, it has nothing to do with the intake system). This occurs because there is a temperature differential (really a gradient) between the engine metal that is not in close contact with the coolant and that which is farther away. When the engine is off and there is not a high airflow through the radiator, the thermosyphon cooling effect is low. This allows heat from these remote areas to flow to areas that are much cooler when the engine is running, resulting in fuel percolation, evaporation, flooding, and coolant boiling. this is mostly a problem wiht carburated cars, since the fuel in the fuel bowl can boil because of high engine temp during a hot start. so it has nothing to do with the intake, but more of a fuel line problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 AM
350zHalleck

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought about making something to block it off better. I just havent gotten around to it.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i guess it doesnt hurt but in all honesty, i highly doubt it makes any significant difference. i wouldnt worry about it.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 AM
zodiac

Originally Posted by Z04
i think someone needs to really know just what heat soak really is (psst, it has nothing to do with the intake system). This occurs because there is a temperature differential (really a gradient) between the engine metal that is not in close contact with the coolant and that which is farther away. When the engine is off and there is not a high airflow through the radiator, the thermosyphon cooling effect is low. This allows heat from these remote areas to flow to areas that are much cooler when the engine is running, resulting in fuel percolation, evaporation, flooding, and coolant boiling. this is mostly a problem wiht carburated cars, since the fuel in the fuel bowl can boil because of high engine temp during a hot start. so it has nothing to do with the intake, but more of a fuel line problem.
Thanks for the knowledge... I think I'll still be building a shroud however.
I'm sure that it'll help with temps on the pop charger.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:52 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by zodiac
Glad to see this thread today... Lemme know what you end up doing...
: )
Well, I talked to the guys at Intense Motorsports a couple weeks ago about my popcharger issue when I stopped by to pay for and order some other parts. They shared the same opinion as most of you that some missing edge trim won't have any significant or noticeable effect on the performance of the popcharger, especially while the car is at speed.

Mike suggested a true cold air intake like the Injen CAI for the AZ heat. I had a Nismo CAI on my '04 G coupe and realized that cleaning the filter element on a CAI like the Nismo/AEM, Injen, etc. is a PITA that I don't want to deal with. The ease of access for cleaning the filter was one of the reasons I opted for the Popcharger instead for my '06 coupe.

I later discussed the issue with Han, the owner. He also felt that any missing edge trim shouldn't be a concern (other than aesthetics) and that there would be no measureable/noticeable change in performance. I asked him about the Stillen intake and the HKS racing suction kit. He said that both were good alternatives to the popcharger and I noticed that both don't have the popcharger's flimsy edge trim, but the HKS intake is a bit pricey.

I intend to go twin turbo in the future, so we both agreed that it wouldn't be a wise decision to invest any more money on an intake at this time while I'm still NA.

Thanks for the help and input guys. It's much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:59 PM
JoeyFyed

Yea, my heat shield one fell off completely..
Old 08-18-2007, 06:48 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just looked under the hood today and mine has done this as well. I dont think it will be too much trouble to put a little "seal all" on it and reinstall it. No biggie-its not that hard to put back on.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:58 PM
RebelinRI
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeyFyed
Yea, my heat shield one fell off completely..
God....... you must have noticed the huge drop in performance right? J/K

Thank Z04 for educating the crowd. I can sleep better now. So many people are concerned with this but it's absolute BS. What is it....... we lose 1% of our HP for every 10 degrees. Do the math people. Don't believe the hype.