Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Evap leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 AM
CornyRacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap leak

After installing my Greddy exhaust on my 03 Z, i got a check engine light. I had a friend run a diagnostic and he said the code said "Evap Leak". I checked out the fittings and they seem tight. He cleared it and it was fine for a week then i got the same check engine light and it was the same evap leak code. I did this about three times and now i just drive it around with the stupid light on. Does anyone know what might cause this and how to fix the problem? I would appreciate any advice you all can give me. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the two electrical connectors on the evaporative cannister, as well as the hoses leading to the cannister. The exhaust runs pretty close to these components. Did you intentionally disturb anything back there?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Datona Jess

Also be sure that you are not melting the hoses with the exhaust
After a long trip you may have enough heat back there that you burned a hole in one of the hoses...

This will cause the evap to flip after a long use.
Just a thought.

Let us know what it was
Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 PM
CornyRacing

yeah i checked the hoses a few times and there doesnt seem to be any hole or burns. I also checked the two electrical connectors and i even siliconed one of em on after replacing the O-ring. I thought this might be the problem. The same check engine light came on a few days later. I havent replaced my gas hose yet on the recall. I wonder if that might have something to do with it. I've had the car for about four years with no evap problems and after that greddy exhaust install, i keep getting the evap leak code. I figure it has to be the exhaust.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i moved my evap canister, even after i had the hoses on tight, i ziptied the edges, and covered them in black electrical tape to keep as sealed as possible. its been 8 months, and its worked great for me. even passed emissions. great success!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 AM
THE TECH

Yeah for some reason, this seems to be a common issue with moving the EVAP canister for the Greddy systems. It's no big deal really, just reset the codes and move on. I have yet to find a way to keep the issue from reappearing, even after making sure all the connections are super tight.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:56 AM
CornyRacing

ok thanks. i'll try to zip tie the edges. I have a recall on my gas tank hose. i havent had it done yet. i wonder if this has something to do with the evap leak? Is there anyone else who has this problem with a fix/solution. I've had the code cleared three times and yeah it keeps coming back to haunt me. what a bummer.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:04 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by CornyRacing
ok thanks. i'll try to zip tie the edges. I have a recall on my gas tank hose. i havent had it done yet. i wonder if this has something to do with the evap leak? Is there anyone else who has this problem with a fix/solution. I've had the code cleared three times and yeah it keeps coming back to haunt me. what a bummer.
The fuel TSB has nothing to do with this issue.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:10 AM
CornyRacing

i found a tsb on the evap leak code. it says to reset the ecm if theres no leak present. is the ecm the same as the ecu?
thanks for the help