Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 PM
XxKwestxX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^check the classifieds
Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 AM
black06z

This reminds me that I have to order my K&N drop-in pretty soon. Thanks for the thread bump.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 PM
mark88Z

Originally Posted by XxKwestxX
^check the classifieds
is there a web sight i would like to get mine new?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Will_Evo

Default Where to Buy

Mark88Z...

Try your local dealership for the box...I doubt its cheap, but if you want a new one its the place to go. For the K&N go to somewhere like advanced auto parts or something..they usually have a large collection of in-stock filters for about 50$ a pop. Also..K&N's have a habit of getting dirtier faster due to the oil present on the filter so be sure and do a check every once in a while (6 months or so) to see how its doing.

PS. Spell check is a beautiful thing...

Will_Evo
Old 07-13-2008, 09:28 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark88Z
i have an 03 and wanted to get an 06 airbox where could i go about doing that.?
Look in the marketplace. If theres none on there, you could order one from courtesyparts.com or the like.

Originally Posted by mark88Z
and also is that the only difference between an 03-05 and an 06? would the 06 air box take my car from 287 hp to 300hp? or is the 06 hr?
No, putting the 06 airbox on your 03 engine will not make it the same. There are other differences, such as the intake manifold design, and cam control. The 06 engine is the Rev-up, not the HR.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 AM
draoz4

nice i live in florida so i guess i should go with a short ram lol since it rains alot here
Old 07-14-2008, 10:39 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hran
i've been thinking about a pop charger as well... but i think i will go for the k&n drop in since i hear these terrible stories about popcharger shutting your car off at random.
I have had mine on for about a week. I love it and no shutting off or heat bog.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by md350
Because, it isn't just a box sitting there. Its designed for maximum flow and minimum pressure drop. Cold air is routed into the air box - effectively its a shielded CAI. The 350Z's stock air box is one of the most efficient and effective out there.
+1... I've been saying this for years but people refuse to understand the OEM is CAI... most people think only a long ram intake with filter shoved don low can be a CAI... Cold air is cold air... the OEM is designed to pull in cold air... and with a properly shielded filter; heat soak is not a problem.

I wish people would just refer to it as long ram and short ram. BTW - there have been plenty of tests that have determined short ram is better on the VQ.

Edit: * Oh ****... I didnt realze I was responded to a post thats almost a year old

Last edited by OCG35; 07-14-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:23 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

On my 2006 Z I have run the OEM box w/ OEM paper filter, OEM box w/ K&N drop-in, and JWT popcharger. Both the K&N drop-in and JWT seem to give better throttle response than the OEM box w/ paper filter. I can't really notice any difference between the OEM box w/ K&N and JWT other than sound. With the JWT you get more engine noise and a whistling sound up front, while with the OEM box the sound is more focused on the exhaust note out the back (at least on my car it was).

Since the JWT short-ram seems to perform as well as the OEM w/ K&N filter for me, my theory is that the best combo would be JWT short-ram with the filter placed inside a sealed box made of some iso-thermal material, with the only opening being the OEM scoope location to behind the front bumper. Seems to me that the JWT cone filter design allows larger air flow volume than the OEM box w/ K&N, due to the fact that the car seems to make similar power with each one even though the JWT filter is basically just sitting out in the hot engine bay air. (I don't have much faith in that gold-colored heat shield to actually isolate the filter). So it seems that if both setups make similar power/torque, then the cone filter must allow more air molecules per charge to enter the engine, meaning that more fuel is added to keep the AF ratio stoichiometric, and more fuel means more power. I don't have any scientific evidence or automotive training to back any of this up, but it's what my intuition as an aspiring engineer leads me to believe.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM
md350

Originally Posted by OCG35
+1... I've been saying this for years but people refuse to understand the OEM is CAI... most people think only a long ram intake with filter shoved don low can be a CAI... Cold air is cold air... the OEM is designed to pull in cold air... and with a properly shielded filter; heat soak is not a problem.

I wish people would just refer to it as long ram and short ram. BTW - there have been plenty of tests that have determined short ram is better on the VQ.

Edit: * Oh ****... I didnt realze I was responded to a post thats almost a year old
Still true today!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Subninja
Banned

Well from the looks of the GTR engine bay they use a similiar design. So if it is good enough for the GTR then it is good enough for the Z.