Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

NISMO CAI and plenum spacer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 AM
tsaville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO CAI and plenum spacer

I bought a used nismo CAI without instructions. Can anyone tell me if it has to be oiled? I have read conflicting info. on here about that. Also how often should I clean it? How hard is a plenum spacer to install and does it take special tools? Does it hurt the life of the car? Thanks for the comments!!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with 5 posts i highly doubt you have researched this info, and/or have been flamed enough to push you to research.

Go to autozone and buy the K&N oil/recharge kit. Follow the instructions on the back of the box, and you will be fine.

The plenum spacer upgrade only takes basic tools to complete. I wouldn't say it is an advanced project, because it isn't, but if you are not even a little bit mechanically inclined, then i wouldn't attempt it. If your good with tools and have done something to your Z more than putting gas in it, then you'll be good to go. Does it lower the life expectancy? I highly doubt, because i would think feeding the engine colder air would produce less wear and tear on the parts.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM
tsaville

Thanks for the help man I am going to pick up that kit from Autozone. I think for my next mod I'm going to try the motordyne plenum spacer. Sorry for not having much time to research... I work a lot and I'm sure the boss wouldn't like to see me on here.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:21 AM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

Originally Posted by tsaville
Thanks for the help man I am going to pick up that kit from Autozone. I think for my next mod I'm going to try the motordyne plenum spacer. Sorry for not having much time to research... I work a lot and I'm sure the boss wouldn't like to see me on here.
I am the boss!!!

http://motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf
Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 PM
tsaville

Thanks for the manual quidproquo! Looks like I can handle this, just need to borrow a t-wrench.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 AM
gte959s

Originally Posted by tsaville
I bought a used nismo CAI without instructions. Can anyone tell me if it has to be oiled? I have read conflicting info. on here about that. Also how often should I clean it? How hard is a plenum spacer to install and does it take special tools? Does it hurt the life of the car? Thanks for the comments!!
you only need one "special" tool for the install. You need to pick a Torx secerity bit from sears to take off you MAF sensor.

-Take off your engine cover
-remove driver side wheel
-remove small bottle shaped box from the bottom the OEM air box. This has 2 bolts to connect it to the frame.
-detach the air induction arm that is bolted on top of the grill that feed additional cold air into the main air box.
-remove MAF sensor HANDLE WITH CARE WHEN YOU PULL IT OUT!!!!
-pull out the old air box there are a couple of bolts and the hose clamp near the engine. there also another 1-2in hose that feeds into the side of the pipe that needs to be detached before the box comes out.

Once all that is out just connect the "Nismo" labeled side to the engine and then feed the unit all the way to the wheel well. Attach every hose clamp tight and secure the CAI to the car so it doesnt shake loose.

Insert the MAF sensor into the Nismo slot and tighten it down. Attach that 1-2 in hose near the engine to the nipple on the CAI pipe.

Put everything back together and you ready to go.