Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Opinions please, adding a resonator to a cat-back exhaust, will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 10:52 PM
1nate7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions please, adding a resonator to a cat-back exhaust, will it work?

I have the B&B exhaust on my G35 coupe and it is too loud and raspy for me. The stock exhaust sounds nice but it is too quiet. I am looking for a happy medium. Is it possible to add a straight through resonator where the stock pre-muffler was? I am considering adding a Magnaflow #10416 or something similar. It seems like kind of defeating the purpose of a free-flow exhaust, but I am willing to sacrifice a few HP for a quieter and more mellow sound. I would like some opinions before I start hacking up my B&B.

I guess the second option I have is too remove the B&B completely and sell it. With the stock exhaust back on I could then remove the pre-muffler and replace it with a less restrictive resonator. It seems that without a pre-muffler/resonator, the exhaust on the G35 coupe does not sound good at all. It takes all the smoothness out and makes it harsh and raspy. Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:34 AM
D_Nyholm

Well, I heard CaribeCoupes (from Freshalloy) Stillen exhaust and it sounded AWESOME!!! IT was pretty quiet (It seemed so since we were on the side of the highway). I didn't think to rev up my car next to it to notice the difference. The one thing is it sounded more "airy" if that is even a way to describe it. More of a whooshing sound like a turbo makes when it spools up without the whistle. It had a slight popping on deceleration, but so does the stock exhaust. This is my choice of exhausts unless the Borla sounds as good (quiet and civil).

Since the Borla is A LOT cheaper than the Stillen, it should get a lot of sales if they end up making it for the coupe. It is also probably easily retrofitted to the coupe just by lengthening two pipes a few inches. BY the time that is done though, it will cost almost as much as the Stillen.....what to do, what to do!!??
Old 05-31-2003, 06:24 PM
D68enny

Put your resonator on and you will be happy. I had a new muffler put on and the resonator removed, and it sounded like **** with the resonator off. I had the muffler place put it back on and it now sounds great. I was imbaressed to drive my car for a while cause in sounded like some riced out Civic.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:21 PM
2003z

I had an Integra GS=R a few years back and had a cat back made with 2.5" pipe and a turbo muffler. Had the same problem as you, so I had them add a glasspack muffler in line, and it sounded really good after. As long as its a straight through, I'm sure you will be happy. You could even put the stock one on it if you still have it. It too is a straight=thru design.