Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Intake Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:34 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black06z
Ah, are you trying tostart something? How cute.

Actually, I don't! I got A's all thru school in English. I tutored a lot of other students to at least B's and definitely wrote pretty decent papers in college. That would be an oxymoron telling me that. Why do you think I put that icon in response to your post? Do I need to teach you a lesson in Psychology as well?
Anyways, I meant that many people floor the gas pedal to get the sound, with the intake, of course, because you mainly feel the power and hear the sound in the upper rpms. Did you understand that? I don't think it can get anymore clear than that.
uh hu. Ok smart ***. Do you want to compare credentials? I was an English literature major at undergrad, attained a law degree, passed the bar, and am currently a licensed attorney. blah blah blah.

Sorry, but your first post made little sense. Your explanation now makes perfect sense. I don't understand why you didn't just put it that way in the first place. Read your first comment, and then read what you just wrote. Which makes more sense?

Not trying to start a flame war here bud-but I also disagree with your statement about flooring the gas pedal to hear a sound. I only floor the gas pedal when I want to go fast--I could give a crap less on what sound it makes. And yes, people generally get into the upper rpms when they want to go faster, not just to hear a cool sound--at least that's just me.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
black06z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
uh hu. Ok smart ***. Do you want to compare credentials? I was an English literature major at undergrad, attained a law degree, passed the bar, and am currently a licensed attorney. blah blah blah.

Sorry, but your first post made little sense. Your explanation now makes perfect sense. I don't understand why you didn't just put it that way in the first place. Read your first comment, and then read what you just wrote. Which makes more sense?

Not trying to start a flame war here bud-but I also disagree with your statement about flooring the gas pedal to hear a sound. I only floor the gas pedal when I want to go fast--I could give a crap less on what sound it makes. And yes, people generally get into the upper rpms when they want to go faster, not just to hear a cool sound--at least that's just me.
Ok. Im not gonna get into a flame war here or a "you started it" post, which would be pretty pointless and off topic. I guess I should've just left "Keep the stock intake on", which probably would've been suffice. You probably wouldn't have responded that way if I did.

Guys that usually put intake or exhaust systems on cars, usually test them on the streets just so they can hear it and feel the added "pull", but with these type of parts, power and sound usually don't happen until you get above 3500rpms. So, by flooring or getting heavy on the throttle, you will hear and feel the difference. It becomes an addiction when you're new to a different type of car, or when you're new to modding. Im not saying you were doing this or you're this type of person, but in general, this is what many people do. Ive been guilty of this sort of thing in the past when I first installed my JWT popcharger.

After a few weeks of my popcharger installed, I realized how much of waste of money it was. The only differences Ive noticed was the added sound on hard acceleration and less low-end torque.

The stock intake seems to be the best system designed for this car.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ok I agree with you on this one--most who are new to modding may indeed be clueless and mistake high intake/exhaust sounds for high performance^^ no hard feelings , and I do agree that the stock airbox with a performance drop in filter is the most cost effective setup with minimum heat soak.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 PM
SniperHunter

06 Airbox or JWT Popcharger (since they're both similar in design) are just about the only options. I bought a JWT just to see if it's good or not. I want the sound, but if I lose power from it, I'll sell it.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 AM
shadykilla717

So pretty much a k&n drop in filter is the way to go.

Does anyone do the gut the airbox out kinda thing?? I know people who do that but I'm not really a fan of that.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shadykilla717
So pretty much a k&n drop in filter is the way to go.

Does anyone do the gut the airbox out kinda thing?? I know people who do that but I'm not really a fan of that.
don't start toying with your stock airbox...for god sakes, we don't need anymore people with completely hacked Z's than there already are (and there are ALOT out there)
Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Fairly Z

Ahah, Adam don't burst my bubble! The thing was expensive.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
That is, if you do a cat-back. I gained 15 from the true dual.
who told you this???
Old 11-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Fairly Z

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
who told you this???
Stillen. It's probably not true - I didn't dyno it to find out, but I'm happy with how it performs and sounds.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 PM
WSchli1672

Why not just talk to the Nissan Dealer, doesn't hurt. I know I have the NISMO CAI, HEADERS, AND CATBACK and the 100,000 mile warranty. They're very good to me, and never a question on anything. Oh yeah, nice sound, and feel too. The 100 question thread provided above will give you lots of information. Good luck on you decision.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

I dont know about 15 whp increase from a cat back but I just did test pipes and true dual cat back and can tell a pretty considerable difference...not only in sound
Old 11-28-2007, 06:49 AM
shadykilla717

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
don't start toying with your stock airbox...for god sakes, we don't need anymore people with completely hacked Z's than there already are (and there are ALOT out there)

Yea I know.. Thats y I was saying I'm not a fan of it.. I think its rediculous and detroys what your doing..

I've been hearing alot about the K & N drop in filter and the pop charger.. I did a seearch but didn't find much on the comparrisons of the filer and pop charger though.. I honestly never heard of a pop charger till I joined the forum either. So this is pretty newbish of me. Is there much on here bout comparing the 2 that I might have missed?

EDIT: Just trying to explain as much as I can with what I have read so far on here so I don't get flamed for being lazy and not searching and looking.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:13 AM
black06z

I can't stand the popcharger's retarded "Dunk" sound.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 AM
shadykilla717

Originally Posted by black06z
I can't stand the popcharger's retarded "Dunk" sound.

Is the heat soaking problem more relevant with z's over other cars?? This is the first time I've actually heard aloooot of complaints about anything but drop in filters as being crap for the car.. On evo and sti forums they complain how you needa tune them. On honda forums there loved. (But anything that can go on a honda is loved) M3 ones you hear nothing.. Or is everyone on here smarter with there mods??
Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

They have simply been around long enough for everyone to dyno test them.

The short rams (assuming they have appropriate heat shielding) gain 2-3 HP. ...Note: Without a heat shield they lose about 10-15 HP.

The long tube CAI's consistantly lose about 2-3 HP.

The stock intake system is actually quite good. Its all plastic to minimize heat transfer and its very, very well sealed against hot air from the engine compartment. And even then, its still susceptible to some heat soak. ...but its still the best.

As for K&N drop in filters, I havn't been able to measure any gain with them. Assuming you have a clean stock filter, its just as good for HP. But there is one difference. The stock paper filters do a much better job at cleaning the air.

I've opened up many plenum assemblies over the course of a few years and I've seen a very consistant relation between plenum assembly cleanliness and the filter used.

1) I have never seen a dirty plenum assembly when the stock filter has been used. Never.

2) I have seen a lot of very dirty (thick oily mud) plenums and every one of them was always connected to some kind of aftermarket filter.

Based on what I've seen, I suggest using the stock paper filter to keep the engine clean. And if you want the most HP, just change it out if it gets dirty.

In this case, stock is best.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

well I've had a cold air (complete with duct), setup since 2003 on my car, with a massive K&N conical filter in a sealed assembly, and have never had any sludge, or anything of the sort

the K&N's do a fantastic job of filtering - the thing is, few people ever buy the recharge kits to keep them clean (as annecdotally evidenced by the amount of K&N filters and intakes we sell, relative to the amount of recharge kits we sell)
Old 11-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Hahaha. How come I was anticipating a counter arguement from you Adam?

I never said all aftermarket filters make sludge in the plenum. Not all of them made sludge. There was varying degrees from acceptable to slightly gritty to thick oily mud. But note: All dirty plenums had aftermarket filters connected.

Not one dirty plenum with a stock paper filter.

This is a significant observation.
And I've opened too many plenums to count.

I found no measurable HP gain from a K&N drop in filter and based on countless data points, I have seen putting them in only increases the risk of ingesting dirt or getting the MAF oiled up. So what is the advantage to installing them?

---

Stock air box and clean stock paper filters FTW!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

of course, because I'm the voice of reason and can often add counter annectodal info

I've got no info on a drop in - I've never tried one on my own car, I can only report on what I've used myself
Old 11-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
of course, because I'm the voice of reason and can often add counter annectodal info

I've got no info on a drop in - I've never tried one on my own car, I can only report on what I've used myself
So what is the advantage of the K&N filter you sell, (relative to the amount of recharge kits you sell)?

Other than to simply argue (as a voice of reason), what exactly is the point of your counter annecdotal info? Are you implying aftermarket filters are just as clean as the stock paper filter? Are you implying long tube CAI's like Injen, Nismo, and AEM do not lose 2-3 HP?

If as you say here "I got no info on a drop in" how is this supporting annecdotal info? And how does it contribute to the topic of intake shoot out? What CAI do you have?

Dont give the public arguements they don't care about. Give them truth, facts, informed analysis and observations they can't get anywhere else.

I'm saying to the public at large.
With all things considered, the Stock air box and a clean stock air filter wins the intake shoot out.

If you want to tell the public otherwise, support your assertion.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

The primary advantage a K&N drop in has its that its inifinitely reusable - clean it, lightly reoil, and you're done. Don't have to buy ever buy a replacement.

the fact is no matter what intake you are testing, short tube, long tube, regardless of the filter, the dyno ain't where the results would ever be shown - the 1/4 mile is. I have never tested any in that regard, because I don't think its worth the time to do so, and because there are no tracks here, but that is where any results would be.

My annecdotal info is based just where I said - that the cold air intake I use (Gruppe-M) uses a bumper mounted scoop, K&N conical filter in a housing, and I keep the filter properly maintained. I've never had any grime build up, I've never had any issues with my MAF - hell I've never even cleaned my MAF and my has been driven in every weather imaginable in its 4 years and 50k mile lifespan. Again, proper care of the filter, is of course the most important thing.

A dirty plenum just as easily be attributed to a dirty filter, as well as the conditions where the car spends it's time. A dirty stock filter, won't do anything for keeping debris out, just like a new, clean, metal element filter won't. Any open element filter, no matter where its located or what the filter media is, will obviously let more dirt in vs a filter that sits in a housing. How much that impacts the longevity of the motor in the long term is anyones guess. Like anything else you do to a car, everything has its upsides and downsides. I just would not tell someone which is best, or not best, without having tested each under the same exact conditions, over a given period of time. Anything short of that, including what I have found on my own motor, and customer cars, and what you've seen on plenums you get, is as I said, annecdotal.

Quick Reply: Intake Shootout