Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

DYNOED- VQ35HR - 12HP 27FTTQ GAIN - Bassani Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:10 AM
powermark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottrocket
just want to make sure that fits the HR's right? It's not like, redesigned for the hr or something like that is it?

see thread title
Old 03-17-2008, 01:15 PM
marr9188

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blazefast
which version did you get? Racing, Street, or 'Quiet Thunder'?

The one posted in the link I provided....I am not sure which one it is, I thought there was only one version
Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 PM
powermark

Originally Posted by marr9188
The one posted in the link I provided....I am not sure which one it is, I thought there was only one version

yea, i have the ones with the built in resonators in the mid pipes, no idea what level they are.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by powermark
if you like to make it down to temecula, id be more then happy to pull the graphs right off the dynojet software for you!
I don't doubt your Dyno showed those numbers. I just have to question the integrity of the test; be it conditions or calibration or user error. There has to have been another variable that accounts for your huge torque gains. Or you had an erroneous torque deficit to begin with (although your numbers don't show this).

Do you have the run conditions for the before and after pulls? Temp? Humidity?

You said yourself that Modified Mag got 16lb-ft of torque increase, versus your 27lb-ft. That's much more believable.

Also, if you were really an unbiased 3rd party, you might have more credibility here on the boards, but I recall you were paid by Bassani (or was it Sport compact TV?) to review this exhaust. So you are an agent of the manufacturer of the exhaust you are testing. That's why folks want to see a test from a true unbiased 3rd party. EDIT: Powermark said no money changed hands for this review. He did it just to help us out. He's not here to increase exhaust sales for anyone. My bad...

I am gonna do everyone here a favor (no PM's with money Where's the love?) and order the exhaust. I'll have a before and after dyno run from a very reputable shop here in CA South Bay. Then we'll know...

If I get closer to 16lb-ft or torque like modified, then something is up with your numbers and you loose some credibility here. I know you just ran a dyno and posted your results, but if I were you and got those numbers, I'd put the stock exhaust back on and do more dynos like that and then put the bassani back on again and do more dynos. If you get those outrageous results, you have to work extra hard to eliminate any possible variables. You can't just shout it out here on the boards like you won the magic dyno lottery.

If I get close to 27lb-ft of torque, like you, then I'll apologize for sounding smug . I am really not trying to be an a$$-hole, but we've had many hyped up gains for products shouted out here and it gets frustrating.

I know we are not talking mortgages here, but $1k is a _lot_ of money to a lot of folks and they want to buy a product that provides consistent, repeatable gains.

If you say that maybe you'll get 27 tq increase or maybe you'll get 16 tq increase, then the product is much less compelling. Provide consistent, repeatable gains and Bassani won't be able to keep these on the shelf. Even if the numbers are 16 lb-ft, and there is a lot of additional area under the curve, this exhaust will still be a winner if it's consistent and repeatable.

Look at the MREV2 lower collector and spacer produced by Motordyne for the rev-up DE. That mod produced the same gains across multiple independent dynos. It sold very well. Consistency and repeatability are key to success.

Wish me luck everyone... I'll call the shop and have them order it and we'll get it on and Dyno'd ASAP. (I already left a message for the shop owner to go ahead withthe exhaust, but I'll call back tomorrow to verify)

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 03-18-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Cyp

anyone have this exhaust on an 03'?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:22 AM
jcleary47

Thank you hiz-n-herz for doing that, maybe if you don't like the exhaust after you dyno it, you can sell it to me with a little bit of a discount.

I hope the exhaust has some good gains, but I also love the sound of it compared to most other exhausts.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 AM
powermark

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
I don't doubt your Dyno showed those numbers. I just have to question the integrity of the test; be it conditions or calibration or user error. There has to have been another variable that accounts for your huge torque gains. Or you had an erroneous torque deficit to begin with (although your numbers don't show this).

Do you have the run conditions for the before and after pulls? Temp? Humidity?

You said yourself that Modified Mag got 16lb-ft of torque increase, versus your 27lb-ft. That's much more believable.

Also, if you were really an unbiased 3rd party, you might have more credibility here on the boards, but I recall you were paid by Bassani (or was it Sport compact TV?) to review this exhaust. So you are an agent of the manufacturer of the exhaust you are testing. That's why folks want to see a test from a true unbiased 3rd party.

I am gonna do everyone here a favor (no PM's with money Where's the love?) and order the exhaust. I'll have a before and after dyno run from a very reputable shop here in CA South Bay. Then we'll know...

If I get closer to 16lb-ft or torque like modified, then something is up with your numbers and you loose some credibility here. I know you just ran a dyno and posted your results, but if I were you and got those numbers, I'd put the stock exhaust back on and do more dynos like that and then put the bassani back on again and do more dynos. If you get those outrageous results, you have to work extra hard to eliminate any possible variables. You can't just shout it out here on the boards like you won the magic dyno lottery.

If I get close to 27lb-ft of torque, like you, then I'll apologize for sounding smug . I am really not trying to be an a$$-hole, but we've had many hyped up gains for products shouted out here and it gets frustrating.

I know we are not talking mortgages here, but $1k is a _lot_ of money to a lot of folks and they want to buy a product that provides consistent, repeatable gains.

If you say that maybe you'll get 27 tq increase or maybe you'll get 16 tq increase, then the product is much less compelling. Provide consistent, repeatable gains and Bassani won't be able to keep these on the shelf. Even if the numbers are 16 lb-ft, and there is a lot of additional area under the curve, this exhaust will still be a winner if it's consistent and repeatable.

Look at the MREV2 lower collector and spacer produced by Motordyne for the rev-up DE. That mod produced the same gains across multiple independent dynos. It sold very well. Consistency and repeatability are key to success.

Wish me luck everyone... I'll call the shop and have them order it and we'll get it on and Dyno'd ASAP. (I already left a message for the shop owner to go ahead withthe exhaust, but I'll call back tomorrow to verify)
it is SAE corrected, so humidity and temp is factored into the run, though they were run about the same temp.

i couldnt believe the tq gains either, which is why i ran it 2-3 times more to repeat them. if its a calibration problem through the actual dynojet, theres not much i can do about that. I am simply reporting my before and after runs. If I loose creditability for something beyond my control, then so be it.

Also, no 2 cars are the same anyway, yours might make 6fttq, it might make 30fttq, hence the ol "Wednesday Motor" terminology

also, no one was paid a single dollar to do this video.

Last edited by powermark; 03-18-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 AM
blazefast

Originally Posted by marr9188
Looks like a 'quiet thunder.' Perhaps other models have a wider variety of sound levels, but I've done some looking around and it looks like all the 350z exhausts are of the 'quiet thunder' type.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:50 PM
powermark

darryl bassani is suppose to be over here later, Ill ask him the differences.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
g35sedan5at

not that i am supporting or believe the gains this exhuast has made BUT. some of you have made the statement that the modified mag makes more sense because its numbers seem reasonable. this might be true but i found something to be very interesting. the op's dyno was a DYNOJET that as far as i know runs higher numbers than a MUSTANG dyno. it is much harder to pull power out of a mustang dyno. that might make the difference of 16 to 27? just some food for thought.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 PM
powermark

Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
not that i am supporting or believe the gains this exhuast has made BUT. some of you have made the statement that the modified mag makes more sense because its numbers seem reasonable. this might be true but i found something to be very interesting. the op's dyno was a DYNOJET that as far as i know runs higher numbers than a MUSTANG dyno. it is much harder to pull power out of a mustang dyno. that might make the difference of 16 to 27? just some food for thought.

yes, to a certain extent. mustangs calculate the weight of the vehicle (loaded) and a few other factors differently that effects the numbers. and this can also make a slight difference in gains due to this calculation. If the modified car was done on a dynojet, it probably would have came in around 20fttq and 12hp
Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM
g35sedan5at

^^^good to know. id still like to see about 2 or 3 cars get this exhuast installed and see before after dynos from several shops.

weve been teased so much in the VQ community that weve become skeptical of EVERYTHING.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by powermark
Also, no 2 cars are the same anyway, yours might make 6fttq, it might make 30fttq, hence the ol "Wednesday Motor" terminology

also, no one was paid a single dollar to do this video.
LOL at the wednesday motor comment. Coincidentally, someone just explained that term to me today at work. I probably got the stupid Friday motor... we'll see.

Sorry, I thought you did a paid review. I'll edit my post 'cause that's not a fair statement.

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 03-18-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by g35sedan5at

No, it would not make a difference of that magnitude. If a Dynojet reads 10% higher (I am using 10% as an example - I have no idea what the percentage difference is), then that would mean the gain might be 10% less on a Mustang Dyno. So the Dynojet would show a 27 tq gain and the Mustang dyno would show a 24.3 tq gain.

I hope that makes sense...

EDIT: Haha... I just googled the difference between a mustang and dynojet dyno and survey says between 8% and 12%

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 03-18-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 AM
blazefast

thank you, hiz-n-herz! You're doing the entire community a favor. I won't really have the resources to spend on an exhaust until the summer (I'm in college), so this will be a huge help in my buying decision.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 AM
scottrocket

Originally Posted by blazefast
thank you, hiz-n-herz! You're doing the entire community a favor. I won't really have the resources to spend on an exhaust until the summer (I'm in college), so this will be a huge help in my buying decision.

+1, exact same situation here...thanks a lot hiz-n-herz
Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 PM
powermark

Darryl Bassani came by to check out our place and the install on my car.

Attached Thumbnails DYNOED- VQ35HR - 12HP 27FTTQ GAIN - Bassani Exhaust-img_8701.jpg  
Old 03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
g35sedan5at

^^^and.....lol anything to say about the exhaust?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:25 PM
powermark

well, he knows how is exhaust sounds and looks

just never seen one on a 07
Old 03-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

once clean exhaust system

Quick Reply: DYNOED- VQ35HR - 12HP 27FTTQ GAIN - Bassani Exhaust