Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Dynos...??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Zacreth
Z Rocker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynos...??

Just curious but I see we have a stickied post for the sound clips and even pics...but how come we don't have one with HP and TQ gains?? Wouldn't that, other than sounds, be a motivating factor of buying a particular exhaust?

Just my $.02

Zac
Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zacreth
Just curious but I see we have a stickied post for the sound clips and even pics...but how come we don't have one with HP and TQ gains?? Wouldn't that, other than sounds, be a motivating factor of buying a particular exhaust?

Just my $.02

Zac
How bout you start one?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Zacreth
Z Rocker

Just might have to... just need to make up my mine though on which one to get....
Old 01-25-2008, 09:58 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

please start 1 and explain to people 2 get a dyno b4 they put it on and after and make sure all the dynos are the same and by the same tuner in the same altitude and weather and this list can keep going. Fail
Old 01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Zacreth
Z Rocker

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
please start 1 and explain to people 2 get a dyno b4 they put it on and after and make sure all the dynos are the same and by the same tuner in the same altitude and weather and this list can keep going. Fail
It doesn't necessarily require that everyone be at the same altitude and weather. The important part would be to have a dyno if possible prior to install and during the same day have the dyno after install to see if there was an increase.

If there are enough people with the same exhaust we can form a general idea of the increase ( or decrease) of HP and TQ for each exhaust.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Zacreth
Z Rocker

Originally Posted by dave079
Because most cars even though they are the same will respond differently to an exhaust especially dependent on what mods are on the car.
True... Though if you have a dyno prior to the install and after the install of the exhaust can be a measurement.

The biggest problem would be if someone did a dyno when they first got the car and then 6 months later get a dyno after an install then with temperature playing a factor could throw the numbers off alittle. But you would still get some kind of generalization of the performance to be expected if there are enough people to submit dyno's of the car after an install.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Zacreth
Z Rocker

I can understand how some people will say that it won't matter because of x,y,z. But if we get enough people to get dynos we can make a pretty good database on which exhausts are worth the money and which ones aren't.

I for one don't want to buy an exhaust on the sounds alone but wouldn't like to get a good performance increase along with the money spent on an exhaust.

What good is it to be loud but can't back it up???
Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Zacreth
Z Rocker

I was interested in possibly seeing one due to the bassani exhaust stating the TQ gains. I wonder what other exhausts were putting down on a dyno that are somewhat comparable to the design.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:28 PM
ANXIOUZ

Ages ago there were a few "exhaust shootout" articles written up in some mags. SportZ mag or something had the best one with dynos and stats.

Generally speaking though, besides going FI most Z mods provide minimal gains. The variance in dyno types alone can offset those #'s completely. Plus we now have 3 different VQ engine variants in the Z so things are going to be off based on that as well.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Zacreth
Z Rocker

Well it was worth a try to collect data on the exhausts and which Z people had with the dyno...but hey at least I tried to suggest a pretty good idea.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
Ages ago there were a few "exhaust shootout" articles written up in some mags. SportZ mag or something had the best one with dynos and stats.

Generally speaking though, besides going FI most Z mods provide minimal gains. The variance in dyno types alone can offset those #'s completely. Plus we now have 3 different VQ engine variants in the Z so things are going to be off based on that as well.

Do you still have the article, I remember reading it, it was a good read.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 AM
BryanPendleton

The thing is by now people have a good idea of which ones are good or bad. All in all there is no real huge difference between most all the exhausts in hp gains.
You may have a good idea, but the flux of people in and out of the "VQ" world is very large, so not everyone has seen what you have seen. And even if you have seen everything, I would not trust your opinion, without some proof to substatiate it. No offense to you, just think of it from a "newbs" point of view.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
BryanPendleton

Originally Posted by ANXIOUZ
Regardless of magnitude of performance enhancement, its still a deciding factor in the decision making process, that as a consumer I would like to know.

As for engine variants, thats simply another variable. As long as all the variables are known, and the changes in variables are minimized what is the concern?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:17 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by 3kgtslflip
Do you still have the article, I remember reading it, it was a good read.
This is all I could find...a cached HTML version of the PDF:

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:ZOFUiP2Z1ZwJhotos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/10146-1/0000000007.pdf+350z+exhaust+shootout&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=u s
Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
BryanPendleton

But like I said there is no real power difference between Its mainly a tossup based mainly on sound and looks.
Post up the evidence to support that? That's all I am asking. Not that I don't necessarily agree with you, but otherwise I have to take your word, and invariably there will we 9 other people they claim a different story.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 PM
2K5G35C

Just do some independent research. Start by reading through the link in my sig. You can then click on the link I have posted below. As you will see, there is no single best exhaust. Every car is different and every persons opinion varies as you can see in the thread below.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273703
I think that what the thread starter wants to accomplish, is a comparison based on hard data, not our personal preferences. There's a fairly new article out in the market, where they add a spacer, an MREV2, a Stillen catback, and a Stillen intake, all power gains are dynoed immediately following the installation. It provides solid data, independent of personal preferences, that we can then use to make a buying decision.

Quick Reply: Dynos...??