Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Diameter of stock Z tube?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
NismoFan47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diameter of stock Z tube?

Title says it all, and I've searched for a while now, all I want to know is the diameter of the stock tube because I'm hoping to retro fit an AEM bypass valve on it.

I suppose I could go out there and measure it....but that takes a lot more effort if someone just knows it off hand.

Thank you very much.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Escobar

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts

consult the wiki.

Last edited by Escobar; 04-01-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Escobar

Manifolds (Headers)

OEM manifold

Weight: ~7x2 = 14lbs
The V configuration of the VQ35 series engine produces dual exhaust exits (3 cylinders per side). Nissan has included standard heat shielded exhaust manifolds on the 350Z and G35.
Accessing the exhaust manifolds is not an easy task. The cramped quarters of the engine bay coupled with some awkward bolt location provide for a rather tough job when pulling or installing exhaust headers or any type on the VQ35.
For those wanting to maximize engine performance in Naturally Aspirated form, headers can be purchased and installed in place of the standard manifolds. Take note that none of the aftermarket headers provide head shielding so header wrap or custom heat shields may be beneficial.
The OEM exhaust manifolds are replaced with turbo manifolds when a twin turbo kit is installed. However, the single turbo kits utilize the OEM manifolds.

[edit] Catalytic Converters

OEM catalytic converter

Weight: 23x2 = 46lbs or 13.5???
Diameter: 51mm (2.0")
There are two catalytic converters (cats for short) on the 350Z and G35. The OEM cats are found between the exhaust manifolds and the Y Pipe (1 per side). Many cars consist of welded in place catalytic converters but Nissan has chosen to simply bolt them in. This provides for easy maintenance, access to the manifolds/engine, and easy replacement or upgrades of the converters. The OEM cats have standard aluminum heat shields.
There is 1 O2 sensor per catalytic converter. These sensors measure the effectiveness of the cats and produce an error code if malfunctions are detected or if the OEM cats are removed. Some people have had success tricking the O2 sensors when removing the OEM catalytic converters either by luck, by using spark plug non-foulers, or by using O2 simulators.
Popular modifications include replacing the OEM cats with Test Pipes or Hi Flow Cats. Some owners even bore out the OEM cats to maintain a stealth modifications.
NOTE: Replacing the OEM cats with test pipes, aftermarket high flow cats, or modifications of any kind to the OEM cats is ILLEGAL!

[edit] Y Pipe

OEM Y Pipe

Weight: 16lbs
After the Catalytic Converters a Y Pipe is used to merge the two exhaust streams into one before it enters the Mid Pipe. The OEM Y Pipe is made from mild steel and is very restrictive. It consists of a standard aluminum heat shield and braided flex pipe fittings on each side of the Y Pipe to absorb vibration and flex in the exhaust system caused by engine torque and suspension movemnt.
Installation and removal of the OEM Y Pipe is rather simple. It can be done in a matter of minutes.
There are plenty of aftermarket Y Pipes to choose from if you simply want to change out this heavy, restrictive component of the exhaust. Take care to match exhaust components or your modifications can actually decrease performance.
Many exhaust systems include a Y Pipe or some other piece to replace the OEM Y Pipe. Additionally, the single turbo kits come with a downpipe that replaces the entire Y Pipe assembly.

[edit] Mid Pipe

OEM Mid Pipe

Weight: 12lbs
The OEM Mid pipe consists of 60mm mild steel piping with several mild bends and curves. There is a short resonator muffler near the Y Pipe end which some 350Z owners have chosen to remove claiming performance gains and a more aggressive exhaust note.

[edit] Muffler

OEM Muffler

Weight: 34lbs
The OEM muffler is somewhat deceiving. Although there are two exhaust exits, there is only a single exhaust inlet into the muffler. This causes alot of confusion when discussions arise about dual and single exhaust systems.
The rear muffler shape, position, and angle combine to function as a rear diffu
Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
NismoFan47

This information is great, but has nothing to do with the intake tube. I will search on wiki though, thank you.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Escobar

oh my bad, I misread your post, I obviously thought you meant the exhaust. Just go throw a tape measure around it, 3 seconds...
Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 PM
NismoFan47

Well, i wrapped around a tape measure quickly, got about 10.3" in circumference, so that's 3.3" about for the diameter...that has to be wrong. I don't have enough time right now to take off my intake to get a better measurement, I assume it's 3". Anyone know any better?