Nismo R Tune Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 03:03 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AEM - Nismo Intake

Originally posted by compression
I had a talk with a salesman at AEM a while ago....
AEM and Nismo are aware that they are not fooling anyone. Because of the price difference, they are re-thinking their strategy. In the works is a whole new intake specifically designed for Nismo and different than the AEM Cold Air intake. This is still early development but you can bet it will perform just as well, maybe even better than the AEM.
As for that mechanic that believes oil-gauze filters are the second coming of evil....he needs to crawl back into his over-priced snap-on toolbox. This problem popped up a long time ago at ford and it was due to grossly over-oiled air filters. Today, the amount of oil going into the filter is precisely controlled. Also, MAF sensors are not open wire systems like the old fords, but know they use a bypass chamber in the sensor itself to help rpevent contaminating the wire. Basically you have nothing to worry about unless your filter is drenched and dripping with oil.
I have only run oil-gauze filters on all my cars and have had no problems at all, ever, period!
Thanks for the info comp. I'm gonna take a wait-and-see approach for a CAI now.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:28 PM
STRETCH

Thumbs down Less Horsepower?

To my dismay, I was just told the Nismo CAI doesn't actually cool the air into the intake. Due to the placement of the filter, it creates a suction, which in turn heats the air, which in turn creates less horsepower. I may not have all the facts straight, but a little birdie told me technosquare's R&D have talked with Nismo and recommend just putting a drop in filter with the original intake. Can this be true? I already have the Nismo installed. What should I do?
Old 08-12-2003, 02:57 PM
at350zguyy

Default got mine

i just got mine today and im having it installed tomorrow morning. cant wait to hear it roar
Old 08-12-2003, 03:15 PM
compression

Default Re: Less Horsepower?

Originally posted by STRETCH
To my dismay, I was just told the Nismo CAI doesn't actually cool the air into the intake. Due to the placement of the filter, it creates a suction, which in turn heats the air, which in turn creates less horsepower. I may not have all the facts straight, but a little birdie told me technosquare's R&D have talked with Nismo and recommend just putting a drop in filter with the original intake. Can this be true? I already have the Nismo installed. What should I do?
Is this for real? Suction heats the air? what the hell? wait a sec, april fools right? If this is not a joke, then prove it. You cant just make a wild-*** claim without any valid way to back it up. The filter does not create suction, the engine does. It is true the intake dos not actually cool the air, it just draws air from a cold source. Please back up your claim with some data, equations, etc. or maybe some sane reasoning.
Tell me who at nismo they talked to, I know a lot of people there.

What you should do is not post dumb crap on forums. Also you should wait to see what they come out with next. Or hey, maybe try dynoing your car!
Old 08-12-2003, 03:22 PM
STRETCH

Default Re: Re: Less Horsepower?

What you should do is not post dumb crap on forums. Also you should wait to see what they come out with next. Or hey, maybe try dynoing your car! [/B][/QUOTE]

All I was really doing was trying to help. Colin at Bulletproof Automotive gave me this information. Take it up with him. Are you angry cuz you have one installed or is it time for the daily pill?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Vash350Z

somehow i doubt that the cai makes you lose hp, but from what ive read, the stock intake is amazing on the Z, so just putting in a drop in filter like a K&N isnt a bad idea
Old 08-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the filter is placed in a compartment inside the inner fenderwall to be 'outiside' and away from the engine's heat, but this area isnt getting any new fresh air, and the intake tube is heating up more so than it should be....

here's a simple work around...

Old 08-12-2003, 09:48 PM
STRETCH

Thanks Chebosto! Is this a better solution than just putting back on the old air intake with an S-Tune Filter? (Thats what I had on before) Is it actually loosing horsepower or just not gaining that much? Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

imho.. stock air box with a higher-flow rate filter (ala K&N) and you cut a hole in the front bumper exact location of the stock air box hole would yeild you better results when driving than most aftermarket intake systems....

but if you already bought the AEM, either remove that piece, or punch a hole directly underneath the filter in the underskirt and get a funnel ...
Old 08-13-2003, 07:05 AM
compression

Default this thread is dead

Obviously you guys dont do any testing. The claims you make are based on your judgment, which is usually falwed. I am a mechanical engineer, active member of SAE, former team leader of my schools Formula SAE race program, and I am currently employed in the automotive industry and spend my days at work disecting cars and parts.
I dont have an AEM intake, I dont even own a Z, so I am not trying to make myself feel better. But I have spent a rediculous amont of time behind the wheel of a Z and used all the major intakes.
Have you ever tested where the air to the filter is coming from? Do you know exactly what is going on in the filter area when the car is cruising at speed? maybe using thermisters and a data logger? or maybe you re-created the whole scenario on your computer and used advanced FEA flow software to simulate what is going on? Have you done any dyno testing? Do you have any dyno data to back up your claims? Do you know how difficult it is to dyno the Z due to its highly evolved engine management system and super-active knock sensor? Do you know that Dyno results can be manipulated through various ways to make any part look good?
How about this..If you say the air is heated up by the tube then imagine a perfect engine with no pumping losses, say a 3.5L running at 3000 RPM with a 3" intake pipe. THeoretically it would be sucking in 185 CFM. For a 30" intake system, the air would be in the pipe for only .036 seconds. Enough time to heat it significantly? Nope. Not even with a high convection coefficient (h).
The problem with forums like this is that it is just a place for bull-sh*t to circulate. Pure and simple bull-sh*t.
Dont write back unless you have solid proof and facts. NOT speculations.
thanks
Old 08-13-2003, 07:43 AM
gguff

Heres some facts:

http://www.courtesyparts.com R-tune Intake $324.92

http://www.aempower.com AEM Intake + Bypass $357.13
Old 08-13-2003, 08:01 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, compression, why are you so angry? This kind of fourm, people can post whatever opinion they have and we are not so stupid as to believe everything that's posted, including dyno results. Are you here to boast? Or can you offer us facts. Like, you said you've used all the major intakes out there. Then, pls
tell us which intake to buy per your test results. That would help us a lot.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by gguff
Heres some facts:

http://www.courtesyparts.com R-tune Intake $324.92

http://www.aempower.com AEM Intake + Bypass $357.13
Performance Nissan R-tune $275.00
Old 08-13-2003, 08:47 AM
Iezzi

compression,

Get the H3LL off the board if its just full of bull sh*t. I wouldn't want any of our sTupIedness to rub off on someone as brilliant as you. These companies know that some people who buy their products are going to have their cars dyno-ed. So why would then lie about there gains? If I wasn't so damn stupid and full of bull **** maybe I could answer that question?
Old 08-13-2003, 11:17 AM
at350zguyy

Default love it

i just got my cai installed today...love the sound and im feeling the power between 4000-6000...smoked a mustang on my way home.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:31 PM
archman350z

Default Re: this thread is dead

Originally posted by compression
How about this..If you say the air is heated up by the tube then imagine a perfect engine with no pumping losses, say a 3.5L running at 3000 RPM with a 3" intake pipe. THeoretically it would be sucking in 185 CFM. For a 30" intake system, the air would be in the pipe for only .036 seconds. Enough time to heat it significantly? Nope. Not even with a high convection coefficient (h).
The problem with forums like this is that it is just a place for bull-sh*t to circulate. Pure and simple bull-sh*t.
Dont write back unless you have solid proof and facts. NOT speculations. thanks
Compression , right on man. I think he may also have been mixed up in his themodynamics too. Compressing air will heat it up, but not de-compressing (or "sucking it in"). PV=nRT, man. Actually, de-compression would cool the intake charge a tiny bit Compressing/de-compressing is what makes your A/C work: R134a has no "magical" properties other than an extremely low boiling point. Food for thought.

There's a lot that goes into the design of an OEM intake. By not having the proper design, they can actually make the car run like crap. Until I start running big HP numbers, I'm going to trust the Nissan engineers (well, with the help of a K&N filter).

BTW: there's nothing wrong with these forums, as long as someone calls out the BS...Everyone is entitled to their opinion; just don't think that it's fact until you check it out...

Last edited by archman350z; 08-13-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Brando222
Ziologist

Originally posted by dkent2
compression,

Get the H3LL off the board if its just full of bull sh*t. I wouldn't want any of our sTupIedness to rub off on someone as brilliant as you. These companies know that some people who buy their products are going to have their cars dyno-ed. So why would then lie about there gains? If I wasn't so damn stupid and full of bull **** maybe I could answer that question?
Hey Dkent2, if I understand Compression's post correctly he is supporting that intakes make horsepower, not saying that they don't make horsepower. Compression said that the intakes don't heat up the intake air, which means that HP is created. I think you're misreading him man.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

i think he's saying that the air being sucked up by the engine cannot phyiscally heat up the pipe due to the fact its only in the pipe for less than a second.

but its not the fact that its the air heating up the tube (from air friction) is the fact that the engine bay is heating up the tube from the engine's own heat... but thats not gonna help much if the filter isnt sucking in cooler air than it could get if the air was taken from more of a direct source of fresh air such as from the front of the car while driving....
Old 08-14-2003, 01:31 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually, i think he's saying that the engine heats up the piping, but the fact that the air is not in the piping for long means that the air can not be heated up significantly, thereby not really decreasing performance of the cai.

this is such a riddle
Old 08-17-2003, 04:31 AM
fresno350

Obviously you guys dont do any testing. The claims you make are based on your judgment, which is usually falwed. I am a mechanical engineer, active member of SAE, former team leader of my schools Formula SAE race program, and I am currently employed in the automotive industry and spend my days at work disecting cars and parts.

ok smarta**, you are a mechanical engineer. you tell us "obviously you guys dont do any testing". no shi*! yeah, im sorry to say i dont have any thermisters, or FEA software installed on my desktop. am i supposed to? for the average person on this forum, they get thier info any way they can, and its not always 100 percent accurate. this is because we dont have the proper test equipment to verify our facts. but, we share what we know to help others out. you dont even own a Z? then why are you on this forum? so if we are wrong then give us some helpful advice instead of coming on here saying how F'd up we are. no one cares what job you have or how smart you are. either say something constructive pertaining to the topic at hand or log the f**k off. feel me?

Quick Reply: Nismo R Tune Cold Air Intake