Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

MREV2 + 5/16" spacer reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MREV2 + 5/16" spacer reliability?

I've been taking an interest lately in going with the MREV2 and 5/16" spacer for my REVUP Z, and have been browsing many threads. The dynos speak for themselves, but I wanted to see if anyone has had any longer term mileage on this mod, and as far and daily usage or reliability issues. My Z is a year-round daily driver so i want to make sure I wont have any issues down the road with this. I dont plan on doing any tuning, so also i hope this wont throw my AFR's way out of whack. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for over a year. No problems.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:02 AM
350ZYALATA
Tentill4z

It won't affect the reliability of your car and no it won't toss your AF "wack"
Old 05-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

couldn't really be more reliable. worst thing that could happen is a screw gets loose, check them after 30k miles if you are worried.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:58 AM
get1

Smile

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
couldn't really be more reliable. worst thing that could happen is a screw gets loose, check them after 30k miles if you are worried.

....exactly. There is nothing to go wrong - no moving parts - all the parts do is create more space for air that the engine can call upon
Old 05-12-2008, 04:42 AM
JDSMotoring
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had mine for almost a yr now and no problems so far.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
jmccartney

I just installed this on my car and you can feel the difference right away. Motor has a nice growl. Be sure to use lockite on the bolts though.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Another question... I've noticed some posts about possible issues with this and cold weather. Any winter Z drivers with this can comment?
Old 05-18-2008, 02:59 PM
CSF

i'm going on 2 years with my mrev2 and 5/16" spacer on my revup G. daily driver (including winters)
never had any problems in the winter. what kind of problems have you heard about this mod and winter?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Art Vandaleigh
Another question... I've noticed some posts about possible issues with this and cold weather. Any winter Z drivers with this can comment?
There are no issues with winter.

If you have the regular Iso Thermal version, just be sure to open the coolant control valve when it gets really cold outside.

The purpose of opening the CCV is to keep the throttle body heated so it won't get iced up and frozen to the open position. The throtle body getting frozen open could cause stalling when you let off the gas.

So that is the reason for opening the CCV in cold weather.

In a place like So. Cal., Texas, Florida, Hawaii and similar, freezing is almost non-existant. So you can use the regular Iso Thermal kit. And in the rare occasion when it does get freezing cold, just open the valve.

But if you live in an area where it can get really cold... alot... Colorado, Montana, Chicago, NY, Alaska, Canada, etc. I suggest getting the Copper Iso Thermal version.

The copper costs a little more, but its all automatic and fool proof. Install it and forget it. The upper and lower plenum assembly runs cooler and the throttle body will never freeze up.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 05-18-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 PM
CSF

^^ohhh...that winter issue
op: i'd also recommend the copper iso thermal...works fine in these nj winters
Old 05-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by Art Vandaleigh
I got a cooper, that helps colder and hotter weather.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^thanks for clearing that up. I've always wondered the main difference between the kits. Sounds like I should get the copper one when I decide to make the purchase.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:28 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by get1
....exactly. There is nothing to go wrong - no moving parts - all the parts do is create more space for air that the engine can call upon
The unreliable part is the installer. Members have a habit of putting a lot of muscle into tiny bolts and break stuff.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by davidv
The unreliable part is the installer. Members have a habit of putting a lot of muscle into tiny bolts and break stuff.
+1
Old 05-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
There are no issues with winter.

If you have the regular Iso Thermal version, just be sure to open the coolant control valve when it gets really cold outside.

The purpose of opening the CCV is to keep the throttle body heated so it won't get iced up and frozen to the open position. The throtle body getting frozen open could cause stalling when you let off the gas.

So that is the reason for opening the CCV in cold weather.

In a place like So. Cal., Texas, Florida, Hawaii and similar, freezing is almost non-existant. So you can use the regular Iso Thermal kit. And in the rare occasion when it does get freezing cold, just open the valve.

But if you live in an area where it can get really cold... alot... Colorado, Montana, Chicago, NY, Alaska, Canada, etc. I suggest getting the Copper Iso Thermal version.

The copper costs a little more, but its all automatic and fool proof. Install it and forget it. The upper and lower plenum assembly runs cooler and the throttle body will never freeze up.
Thanks for clearing that up. I drive the Z year round (sh!tty cleveland winters) so just wanted to be sure. Looks like im going to go with the MREV2 and copper 5/16 in the coming weeks
Old 06-29-2008, 07:30 PM
350zbra

So if you get the iso copper you don't need the control valve, why is that?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Darkness75

Originally Posted by davidv
i`m looking foreword to receive my 5/16" MD spacer ,and hear that alot (do not over tighten things up) ,,,what dose that mean ?
i use the breakbar to tight things up with Little extra hand Trq ,is that over ? and how can i know when its over but before i break it ?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:20 AM
CSF

Originally Posted by Darkness75
i`m looking foreword to receive my 5/16" MD spacer ,and hear that alot (do not over tighten things up) ,,,what dose that mean ?
i use the breakbar to tight things up with Little extra hand Trq ,is that over ? and how can i know when its over but before i break it ?
definitely don't need a breaker bar...i would recommend using a inch/lb torque wrench. if you don't have one available, i believe a gloved hand with a nut driver (not rachet or breaker bar) torques it to about 90 in/lbs IIRC.

Last edited by CSF; 06-30-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 AM
CSF

Originally Posted by 350zbra
So if you get the iso copper you don't need the control valve, why is that?
hot coolant is used to keep prevent ice formation on the throttle body on cold days. but by doing so, there is heat transferred to the plenum. with the control valve, you stop the flow of coolant to the TB. so you would have to remember to open it in the winter.
with the copper iso, you get a copper plate with a rubber side to isolate the hot coolant from the plenum. so you always have the coolant running to the throttle body but not transferring heat to the plenum.

Quick Reply: MREV2 + 5/16" spacer reliability?