Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

FedEx came by: Sex In A Box!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 PM
zBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome exhaust. One of the nicest sounding ones out for the Z.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:19 AM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay...so I just finished installing these bad boys! It wasn't has hard as I thought but much harder than simply unbolting and bolting.

I'm extremely exhausted so I won't be making much of a write up...I'll just summarize what I did:

I. Lifting Up the General
1) Jacked up driver's side with crappy Nissan jack
2) Jacked up rear (from Diff) with Hydraulic Jack
3) Placed jack stands on rear jack points--removed crappy Nissan Jack
4) Lowered Hydraulic jack and jacked up driver's side front
5) Placed a jack stand on passenger side front--at this point my car was doing 3-wheel motion low-rider style
6) Removed jack from driver's side front and jacked passenger side front up, about 1" or so higher than jack stand (already placed)
7) Placed jack stand on driver's side front--removed hydraulic jack
*Lifting the car took much more time that I expected. Be prepared to do a lot of "back and forth" cranking with the jacks.

II. Deconstruction
I started from the muffler & worked my way to the cats:
1) Unbolt brackets that hold stupid, stubborn rubber hangers
2) Spray ALL bolts with Liquid Wrench
3) Unbolt muffler from mid-pipe
4) Remove muffler and pry off stupid, stubborn rubber hangers
5) Unbolt mid-pipe from Y-pipe
*Stupid bolt on Y-pipe (from mid-pipe) stripped!
Spent a very, very long time cutting the bolt off
(my Dremel is battery powered and it kept dying on me that, and I kept snapping my cutting blades)
6) Unbolt Y-pipe from cats
*If I didn't strip that stupid bolt, this wouldn't have taken so long and would not have taken as much effort. However, removing the OEM exhaust is the HARDEST part of a DIY exhaust installation.

III. Installation
Again, I started from the cans and worked my way to the cats. All bolts were hand tightened first then I torqued (per Exhaust Shop Manual Specs) from cats to cans. I used the new bolts that came with the exhaust in this configuration: Bolt--> Flat Washer--> Gasket--> Locking Washer--> Nut:
1) Placed stupid, stubborn rubber hangers on mufflers
2) Bolted stupid, stubborn rubber hangers back on to car
3) Bolted mufflers to mid-V-pipe
4) Attached Ground wire to driver's side muffler (there is a bracket on the back of the can)
4) Bolted mid-V-pipe to H-pipe
5) Bolted H-pipe to cats
*Without a clamp, the hardest part of the installation was trying to keep the gaskets and flanges aligned while trying to slip a bolt and washer through.

IV. First Impressions--Aaaaah!
Finally done, I cleaned up and turned my engine over....wow!
1) After the initial growl, at idle the exhaust is quiet
2) The RPMS seem to rev much freer and quicker
3) I can actually feel the engine "move" when revving w/o load
4) The exhaust seems much quieter than most videos I've seen--good thing!
5) The tips are much larger than I expected and the brunt blue Ti is just awesome! Not a big fan of the bolts popping out of the tips though...kinda reminds me of Frankenstein's Monster.

*I haven't driven it yet...too tired and it's real late.. plus my hands feel like hamburger. I was going to fold the rear bumper to show the 2nd'ry cans off some but changed my mind last minute...concerns about the longevity of zip-ties or self-tapping screws holding up my rear bumper...so I didn't do it.

I'll post more impressions soon...right now I just want some Band-Aids, maybe a Tetanus Shot or three, and to go to sleep. All-in-all, I'd recommend doing this install to anyone with the right tools and patience. Installing TD are much more of a PITA than would be, say a Nismo...but like I wrote above, the suckiest part was removing the stubborn OEM exhaust.

BTW...my OEM exhaust is now officially for sale: https://my350z.com/forum/exhaust/364724-fs-07-oem-exhaust-system.html

*Local Pick-up preferred.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 06-12-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:18 AM
vnarang

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z

I hope you like it.

Boy, you needa stop sippin on that Haterade.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:04 PM
singh

Originally Posted by vnarang
Boy, you needa stop sippin on that Haterade.
Theeeka yaar!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z

I hope you like it.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 06-07-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 PM
soleil
NolaZcc

i love my HKS...good job OP
Old 06-07-2008, 08:38 PM
ironx

Sweet hope you like i cant wait to get my own some day
Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 PM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its just perfect.

enjoy.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Phantom Menace

Again, thanks for the support gang!

So, I got the General out on the freeway today to let him "stretch his legs."
*within posted legal speed limits, of course.
I. Sound
1) Freeway Speed
The sound is nice! Not to be described as "loud" or "obnoxious" at all! My neighbor, drives an xB with a ridiculously loud eBay exhaust! That car is what I'd describe as loud and obnoxious. Bastard's always rev'ving on me, too!
Anyhoo, at speed there IS a drone. Not bad or anything you'd have to yell to have a conversation in the cabin for but it is there. It's primarily a deep and mellow "hum." For example, at 6th around 65mph, when giving constant throttle the exhaust is barely noticeable. However, release the accelerator (to coast) then the exhaust will start rumbling a bit louder.
2) Surface Streets
The HKS is pretty smooth in the city as well. I drove around SF a bit today and the exhaust only got "loud" above 5k. Sure you can hear it and it sounds GREAT (IMO) but again, is not overtly loud.
*When I first start the engine an it gives off that "growl"....wooohooohuh...sends chills down my spine. But in a good way!

II. Butt Dyno
I can't say that I feel a HUGE surge in power. But, like I posted above, I have noticed that the engine revs much quicker now. Not sure if I'm gassing it more to hear the cool exhaust note but the car does feel notably quicker--especially on the freeway.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 06-12-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:36 AM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z350boy
How sick am I....I thought he got a blow up doll!!!!!!

LOL me2!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:53 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice, the thead title is misleading, especially if it was in the anything goes section, lol.

Nyways, great write-up and review op, have fun
Old 06-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Phantom Menace

And now...without further adieu...my new pipes!
Attached Thumbnails FedEx came by: Sex In A Box!-1.jpg   FedEx came by: Sex In A Box!-2.jpg  

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 06-08-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 PM
TX-350Z-TX

ok thats it i am ordering mine tomorrow!! being that our cars are identical twins---your pics pushed me over the edge. i have considered many different exhausts and honestly could not make up my mind. your review was also very convincing as well. now that i know what my car will look like, i can't wait to HEAR what it will sound like!!

ps--does it **** you off the way our gas door is so obviously a different color? drives me up the wall. my eyes focus on it every time i look at my car.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:27 PM
haeshik

damn im pumped, im picking mine up this saturday!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Cannysage

ah yes.. I remember my newb days.. getting exhausted (pardon the pun) from all the excitement of getting the HKS.. simply the best choice for NA.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by TX-350Z-TX
ok thats it i am ordering mine tomorrow!! being that our cars are identical twins---your pics pushed me over the edge. i have considered many different exhausts and honestly could not make up my mind. your review was also very convincing as well. now that i know what my car will look like, i can't wait to HEAR what it will sound like!!

ps--does it **** you off the way our gas door is so obviously a different color? drives me up the wall. my eyes focus on it every time i look at my car.
LOL! Thanks, "Identical Car Twin!" Yes. I thought my gas door was somekind of factory reject or joke. In a sadistic way, I'm glad, I'm not the only one with this! While were at it, my roof is a little bit off too! Not as bad as the gas door though. Probably because the gas door is plastic?!

I'll try to post pics from the rear later. I really, really wanted to do the rear bumper fold thing because the canister design is too sick not to "share" with others! But am afraid it may break/rip after time and the folded protion will press against the secondary tubes and melt! There are two brackets to the right and left that you can use and just drill one hole in the middle to mount to the bumper support...but while bending it, the bumper does have some resistance and feels like it will keep "pulling" against whatever screw/zip tie you use. I'm concerned about longevity since I plan on keeping my car for a very, very long time. And if, the screw/ziptie should give...the folded portion WILL press against the secondary cans. I'm thinking about just cutting it but am not very skilled with a dremel.

I truly love this exhaust! I would buy it again and again! When you get yours...post pics!

Originally Posted by haeshik
damn im pumped, im picking mine up this saturday!!!
I couldn't wait either, man! I planned on putting mine on on a Saturday morning...I ended up doing it the Friday before cause I couldn't just sit in my living room and look at them anymore.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 06-13-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Phantom Menace

Ok. So I know I wrote that I was too chicken to do the "Bumper Fold" mod. But, them pipes are just too sexy to keep hidden!

Last night I did it! Here's what I did:
1) Slid under the car (not jacked up) and removed the two phillips head screws that attach the bottom of the rear bumper to the bumper support (big aluminum bar).
2) Removed the plastic brackets from the bumper support and cut the two 1" tabs off!
3) I used the OEM jack and put a thick towel on top of it and used it to fold the bumper cover and to press it against the bottom of the bumper support.
4) With my Dremel, I driled 6 holes--from the bottom up.
5) I put self-tapping screws with washers and Blue Loc-Tite, on the right side (near the exhaust tip), in the middle, and on the left side (near the other exhaust tip).
7) Then I drilled two more (smaller holes) on each side and fished a zip tie through the holes (just as a "safety net").
8) Lastly, there was a piece (on both sides) of the bumper cover that was about 1/4 inch from the secondary canisters (HKS) that made me worry a bit. I figured that since I done drilled holes in the bumper cover, that this mod is pretty much permanent! So, I used my Dremel and trimmed off, about 1/2 inch off both sides (corners of bumper cover that was folded upwards and inwards) so that they would not make contact with the mufflers.
*The part I trimmed off would be the corner of the Bumper "Flap" that used to be on the inside curve of each exhaust outlet.

I'll post pics, time willing, later this week.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 06-16-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 AM
TX-350Z-TX

very interested in seeing before and after pics of this. still waiting on mine to get here. should be sometime this week and will have it installed on friday.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by TX-350Z-TX
very interested in seeing before and after pics of this. still waiting on mine to get here. should be sometime this week and will have it installed on friday.
Here you go TX...sorry if the two are really bad. It's really muggy out and it's even darker inside my parking garage. The other one is a pic I took this past Saturday, near Sacramento...just for kicks!

I'll post more with better lighting, clearer pics and better angles once the Sun comes back up here in SF.
Attached Thumbnails FedEx came by: Sex In A Box!-12_edited.jpg   FedEx came by: Sex In A Box!-10_edited.jpg   FedEx came by: Sex In A Box!-11_edited.jpg  

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 06-17-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM
hotshot350

whats up phantom menace! i have the same car as you lol but i just missing that sexy exhaust you have.

Quick Reply: FedEx came by: Sex In A Box!