Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Crawford Plenum G-Tech Runs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 09:03 PM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crawford Plenum G-Tech Runs

Well, as I have been doing all along with my mods I G-Tech each one. A lot cheaper than a dyno and even though the raw #'s aren't 100% accurate, they are precise meaning that relative differences are real and let you know if you got a gain or not.

I always G-Tech my car on the same road and I always do passes both ways. I do these runs at night and I just got back from these latest ones. Car has full interior with tools and spare but hardly any fuel. My baseline before any mods if anyone remembers was a 13.7 at nearly 108 (of course I know the MPH are high, but the G-Tech reads different than the real track, we are just looking for difference). I added a Borla exhaust and got no gain, then I changed to the Borla True Dual and dropped to 13.53@109.5 mph. Adding an AEM intake also did nothing although it didn't hurt.

I have put about 100miles on the Crawford plenum since putting it on yesterday and the Butt Dyno tells me it's strong, but the BD can be deceiving. So time to G-Tech it and the results were not disappointing. At first though, I had to abort 3 runs in a row. I couldn't get the car to launch. It was night, about 70 degrees and I had 32psi in the rear S03's. The road I use is a farm road in the middle of nowhere so it's dirty. Wheelspin like crazy the first time, second time, launched at a lower RPM, still a lot of wheelsping and then a nice grind when shifting 1-2 (damn tranny), third run I hooked up a lot better, but still grinded.

OK, 4th time and I guess the tires were getting a bit sticky because I launched at 2500, but this time it seemed to hook up a lot better, but the wheels still struggled for traction all through first, I shifted a bit early trying to avoid the grind and it worked, but the 1-2 shift broke the tires loose pretty good. Didn't see the 0-60 flash just continued through the 1/4. Result:

13.45@111.9mph!!!

It was less than a .1 sec reduction, but look at the 2.4mph increase, holy crap!!!!

Turned her around for my opposite run and I wanted to get done ASAP. Its farmland, but there are still some houses and someone might call the cops. The aborted runs took a few minutes of time. First run, broke traction again!! F***!!! But the 2nd run was pretty respectable:

13.39@112.4mph!!

Picking up 3mph is freakin' huge!!! That proves (to me at least) that the Crawford delivers as promised. I can't wait to take it roadracing on Saturday. I also can't wait to get a new tranny.

I can honestly say I can't recommend this mod enough. It is by far the best bang for the buck mod on the market right now. I have nothing to do with Crawford at all so this is just my completely unbiased personal opinion.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:31 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be honest here.

I am planning a couple mods soon, I was origionally thinking Borla TD, then saving for teh next thing, which requires time, BUT for the same (almost) amount I can get teh Plenum AND test pipes, which way would you go???
Old 08-15-2003, 10:09 PM
N4Spd

Default same with me

i have a gtech also (g35c auto).
I ran 6.2s 0-60 before I got my plenum, borla dual, and random tech cats.
Now, I run 6.0s 0-60.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:25 PM
KONVERTER

plenum and test pipes will give you way more gains then the borla TD...
Old 08-15-2003, 11:07 PM
little_rod

Hey rodH, test pipes in Cali, wow you are bold, lol. Well, the test pipes and plenum will definitely give you more power, no question.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:22 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome review! Thanks Steve!
Old 08-16-2003, 12:56 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

Nice.......sounds like you've gained close to 30HP with your mods so far......from my experience 10HP roughly equals 0.10sec........even if the G-tech varies from actual track times, you've still gained 3 tenths from your baseline run
Old 08-16-2003, 05:05 AM
VandyZ

WOW!
Old 08-16-2003, 06:58 AM
rodH

Originally posted by little_rod
Hey rodH, test pipes in Cali, wow you are bold, lol. Well, the test pipes and plenum will definitely give you more power, no question.
they are easy to replace (easier than an oil change in this car), so when I have to get emissions done, I will switch it out.

I don't think cops really target our cars too much, I think they go after super loud Hondas with HUGE exhaust.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:50 AM
dougrace zs

Steve glad you like it WOO WOO

Last edited by dougrace zs; 08-16-2003 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:42 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by dougrace zs
Steve glade you like it WOO WOO

Let me be the first to point out I've NEVER seen Doug post things like that.

I think the biggest point here is... when you develop a product and people are happy with it, it makes you VERY pleased.

In this case... pleased came out in a whole WOO OWOOOO..
Old 08-16-2003, 11:41 AM
mdepena

Can you use the stock STB when you install the Crawford Plenum?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:48 AM
wren57
Banned

no. they sell a replacement strut bar for $200. You also cannot use your engine cover.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:49 PM
McDan

Raceboy,
Thanks for posting the results! Also, thanks for taking the time to have a solid testing approach. Are you planning on dynoing in the future?

And I agree, who cares about the 1/4-mile time difference on the street with no traction, the trap speed increase is the big improvement.

One question, were the outside temperatures those evening reasonably close to the same?

Dan
Old 08-16-2003, 06:47 PM
raceboy
Banned

I live in the most even climate area in the entire world, Ventura/Oxnard, Ca. It always seems to be 65-70 degrees at night.

I have one question Doug or Vandy; I used the spacer and it also had a little nylon washer with it. I assumed that nylon washer was supposed to go on the long spacer bolt and outside the plenum, was I correct there?

My goal is to just get as much NA HP as possible. So now I need cams, headers, and maybe test pipes. I am also gonna have to look into upgrading the cooling capacity of this car as it is the first car I have ever owned that actually got hot on the track, albeit in 100+ degree temps.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:37 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by raceboy
I have one question Doug or Vandy; I used the spacer and it also had a little nylon washer with it. I assumed that nylon washer was supposed to go on the long spacer bolt and outside the plenum, was I correct there?
Yep! I will make that more clear in the manual.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:49 AM
D_Nyholm

So, are they still going to sell it to my350z.com members at the discounted $400 price??? PLEASE!!!

Last edited by D_Nyholm; 08-19-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:40 PM
VandyZ

Originally posted by D_Nyholm
So, are they still going to sell it to my350z.com members at the discounted $400 price??? PLEASE!!!
$450 is the my350Z.com price.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:52 AM
Zaphod 350z

G-Techs are not a good way to theorize 1/4 mile. they simply aren't that accurate. With my audi I was g-teching trap speeds of 109mph when at the track i was at best 104. That's a huge difference. What the G-tech is good for is on the spot comparisons. Might I suggest you do this. I'm told that the plenum is an easy swap. So try this...

Put your stock plenum back in and do four or five runs. Throw out your worst and average the others. Then shut down the car, let it cool and swap the plenum. Do the same amount of runs and see what your difference is between the average results. This way you preserve the same atmospheric conditions and the car conditions are farily similar (tire temp, driving technique, etc.)

I used to do comparisons like this all the time when testing different ECU's for my S4. Something I learned quick is that results vary with the same set up from day to day, and there are ways to fool the g-tech that you may not be aware of.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:06 AM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by Zaphod 350z
G-Techs are not a good way to theorize 1/4 mile. they simply aren't that accurate. With my audi I was g-teching trap speeds of 109mph when at the track i was at best 104. That's a huge difference. What the G-tech is good for is on the spot comparisons. Might I suggest you do this. I'm told that the plenum is an easy swap. So try this...

Put your stock plenum back in and do four or five runs. Throw out your worst and average the others. Then shut down the car, let it cool and swap the plenum. Do the same amount of runs and see what your difference is between the average results. This way you preserve the same atmospheric conditions and the car conditions are farily similar (tire temp, driving technique, etc.)

I used to do comparisons like this all the time when testing different ECU's for my S4. Something I learned quick is that results vary with the same set up from day to day, and there are ways to fool the g-tech that you may not be aware of.
From what I'm understanding though... is he's not comparing the G-TECH to 1/4 strip times... but instead to earlier G-TECH times.

I've found even the basic G-TECH to be very consistant with itself. Everytime I've taken it out, it reads nearly the same as before. Minus the addition of parts.

While it would never hurt to do back to back... I will expect to see similar results.

Have you ordered yours yet?

Quick Reply: Crawford Plenum G-Tech Runs