Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Plenum Spacer CCV installation...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:27 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
You can install everything without unplugging the throttle body harness. And I generally don't recommend unplugging it.
i followed the instructions and set it aside. it was really a hard process with all the cable ties on those hoses.

And what do you mean by "only 1 would just sit on top of it"?

Everything fits perfectly as long as its installed correctly. Be sure to read all of the installation manual.
the spacers are shaped like cups.. and the cups shud go on those threads just like a cap (as illustrated in the pic below).

all 5 fit like glove.. the 6th won't.. see below:

shouldn't it be this way??

the top cover won't set properly on the plenum, but i had to tighten all of them till everything is sealed. i used a driver rather than a torque wrench (which wasn't available for me)..

i finished the installation of everything in 6hrs 50mins.

i reset the ECU using the removal of battery negative and brake capacitor. everthing went fine.

altho the idle is @ 800 or even lower, but i didn't feel like it's dying. took it for a test drive, and everything seems to be fine.

i'm dead tired, and i can't tell about the performance yet, but i'll get to check that tomorrow probably.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I think I know what happened on that 6th support.
Did you notice on the stock upper plenum how the hole was drilled through the aluminum post of the stock upper plenum?
It was probably eccentric or out of round where the hole was not drilled through the center of the post giving it a egg like shape. It is an error that occurs at the Nissan aluminum foundry.

Its rare, but I've seen it before. Its an aluminum casting deformity where the (+)rubber or wax molds used to form the (-)sand castings are pushed or bent slightly out of shape when the sand is formed around the rubber.

The aluminum is cast into the sand mold with the same mis-shapen support column. And when the holes are CNC drilled into the aluminum plenum, the holes are out of round with respect to the support column.

Hence the cups of the internal supports are difficult to fit onto the aluminum support column.

Its basically how the stock aluminum is cast at the factory.

How is your idle? If your idle is good and stable you don't have a leak. That's basically the criteria to a successful install. If idle is good, the performance gains will follow.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:11 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

OK, I think I know what happened on that 6th support.
Did you notice on the stock upper plenum how the hole was drilled through the aluminum post of the stock upper plenum?
It was probably eccentric or out of round where the hole was not drilled through the center of the post giving it a egg like shape. It is an error that occurs at the Nissan aluminum foundry.

Its rare, but I've seen it before. Its an aluminum casting deformity where the (+)rubber or wax molds used to form the (-)sand castings are pushed or bent slightly out of shape when the sand is formed around the rubber.

The aluminum is cast into the sand mold with the same mis-shapen support column. And when the holes are CNC drilled into the aluminum plenum, the holes are out of round with respect to the support column.

Hence the cups of the internal supports are difficult to fit onto the aluminum support column.

Its basically how the stock aluminum is cast at the factory.
i thought exactly the same, and i was a little scared that it might not sit properly. but i think after the tightening, it did..

How is your idle? If your idle is good and stable you don't have a leak. That's basically the criteria to a successful install. If idle is good, the performance gains will follow.
idle seems stable, it wasn't bouncing.. altho i never knew what's the idle speed before the install, but now it's @ 500 or something.. see pic below (that's not my car, but i drew an indicator where it idles at).

is that normal? do i have to do anything else to make sure everything is set and properly installed?? i moved my hands back and forth over the plenum sides looking for leakage, but i didn't notice any..

thnx for the support Tony. it was a b!tch to install, but i really enjoyed it.

Last edited by maXmood; 11-08-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

The 800 RPM as shown in the picture is the stock setting for idle so your all good to go.

Thank you!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:15 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

great! thnx once again

can't wait to check out how it performs.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Zenpato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^I just finished installing it myself yesterday and faced some of the issues you had , but got to say that the car def pulls and noticeably deeper growl. can't discern how much performance I've gained but def something there!--**Tony , I noticed that after the install , eventhough I can close the hood it seems to be pushed up by the strut bar and causes some small misalignment , is this normal??
Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Take the tension out of the strut bar tensioner bolt so the bar is completely relaxed.
Then loosen, but don't remove, the strut bar bracket bolts.
Then shift the strut bar assembly towards the passenger side of the car and re tighten the bracket bolts.
Then put the tension back into the strut bar tensioner bolt... and that should do it.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

^exactly what i did.. but i only did it cuz the holes weren't aligned. after shifting the assembly towards the passenger side, it went smoothly, keeping enough space between the engine and the bar.

and, i noticed the little gain..
Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Zenpato

^^did it a few times**think I'm getting carpel tunnel now* and still looks like the hood might be pushed up a tiny bit , Tony, any aftermarket strut bars that you can recommend??
Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

The Stillen and APS strut bars will accommodate any size plenum mod with no problem.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Zenpato

Thanks man.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:38 AM
OdesiTT

Default DIY

Here is the simplest way to make a CCV for less than 10$ and its take only 5-7 minutes.