Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Plenum Spacer CCV installation...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:38 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plenum Spacer CCV installation...

hey guys,

i think i'm gonna take a step further and try to make time to install the plenum spacer i bought couple of months ago..

first off, i would like some more info about the CCV and its actual functionality. i've tried looking it up, but can't find good info about it.

anyways, i got the Motordyne 5/16" with Iso Thermal, and i was wondering about the CCV. since our climate is warm and would rarely reach under 55f degree in winter, can i just skip the CCV installation?

since CCV is the last step mentioned in the installation manual, when skipped means i finished the installation? i don't have to consider anything else after skipping this step?

thnx for the input
Old 11-05-2008, 02:02 AM
citymunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can skip the CCV installation if you want, but you got the whole idea of its function backwards. It better to use it in a warmer climate, and here is why:

The CCV controls the flow of Coolant to the Throttle body, which just been flowing thur the engine making it HOT. So when the CCV is open, HOT coolant is flowing thru the throttle body, making the air that is coming thru warmer that the outside air. Now when the CCV is closed, coolant is not flowing, leaving the throttle body cooler, thus not heating up the air as it passes thru. Colder Air = More Power.

I hope that makes sense for you.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

^the stock setup has the hose connected and the air flowing normally in all weather conditions. cutting it and putting the CCV would make it controlable, but yet in warm weather it has to act like the normal hose, and when it gets really cold, it has to be off??

i'm really getting confused with the ON/OFF of the CCV

i got those from different threads, i'm trying to put all the info together to sum it up.

Originally Posted by redlude97
The basic spacer comes with a valve that bypasses the coolant that flows through the throttle body to prevent it from heating up the plenum, but in the winter this can lead to a frozen throttle body, so you have to turn the valve back on in the winter. The premium isothermal kit comes with a isothermal gasket that goes between the throttle body and plenum to prevent the heat soak so the coolant bypass is no longer necessary.
from motordyne staff
Originally Posted by Hydrazine

But for anyone who lives in the warmer climates like CA, TX and FL, freezing is a rare occurance. In this case, the regular Iso Thermal can be used at a lower cost. And in the rare occasion when it does get cold, or when going on a long drive in the mountains for a snow skiing trip, the CCV can be turned to the on position.

And for the person that wants to minimize cost and simplify their installation as much as possible, and still not have to worry throttle body freezing (in any kind of climate) they can select the Basic plenum spacer.
The whole plenum runs hot (like stock) with the Basic spacer, but its a different set of compromises.
Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
As for the CCV, you don't really need to install it. It requires cutting a hose. So if you're unsure what to do, just don't install it. It won't make any HP.
Originally Posted by Mazinger Z
If you don't have freezing weather, don't even bother w/ the CCV.
Freezing or not, the CCV in the off position will reduce plenum temperatures in any climate.

The copper is for the environment that gets cold like Chicago, Minnisota, NY, Canada or Alaska. The plenum will run cooler but in this case, the TB will remain heated.
You can use any version in normal weather or even in extreme cold, but if you have the coolant control valve, it must be turned on when driving in the cold. Otherwise it could cause ice formation in the TB which could cause stalling when you let your foot off the gas.

But if you live in an area where it gets Chicago cold, I will recommend the Copper anyways. This way you won't have any chance of forgetting to turn on the CCV.

Otherwise, get the basic spacer. It keeps the TB and whole plenum heated (like stock) all the time and there is no risk of forgetting to turn on a CCV.

Chicago cold = Copper or Basic
In places like California, Texas or Florida temperatures generally don't go below 55' F so the Copper isn't needed, but if you live in temperate climates such as Chicago, Montana or Canada, the Copper Iso Thermal is a good option to take.
I have driven my car with the valve in the closed position with temperatures as low as 45'F... but thats about as cold as its been here in So Cal. In fact, I just leave it closed all the time and don't think twice about it. If it ever gets unusually cold, I'll open it.

If you want to avoid the possibility of freezing, just leave the CCV open except for the Summer time. Or get the Copper TB heater, install it and you will never have to think twice about it.
from Motordyne website
The second component is a throttle body Coolant Control Valve (CCV) that allows you to heat (or not heat) the plenum assembly. With local weather temperatures below 55’F the valve is left open. In warmer weather the valve can be closed for maximum performance benefits.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by citymunky
You can skip the CCV installation if you want, but you got the whole idea of its function backwards. It better to use it in a warmer climate, and here is why:

The CCV controls the flow of Coolant to the Throttle body, which just been flowing thur the engine making it HOT. So when the CCV is open, HOT coolant is flowing thru the throttle body, making the air that is coming thru warmer that the outside air. Now when the CCV is closed, coolant is not flowing, leaving the throttle body cooler, thus not heating up the air as it passes thru. Colder Air = More Power.

I hope that makes sense for you.
after reading all those quotes and then back again to your post, i kinda understood the concept of it...

thnx for the info..

why actually i'm concerned with the CCV, is because i don't want to do the cutting of the hose. cuz i might go wrong with which hose to cut. cuz it's not clear on the manual and i can't find a video about it.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:32 PM
citymunky

I could take a pic of mine, but it's raining outside. Also the if you mess the hose up, a new one can't cost more that $20 US Dollars
Old 11-05-2008, 02:31 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

maybe someone else could contribute to the thread and post a pic of the correct hose.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Citymunky described it very well.

Because you live in an area where its warm most of the time, you will actually do well to install it. Your plenum will run a lot cooler with it installed.

By installing it, you can turn the valve to the OFF position, shutting off the hot coolant flow going to the plenum. And this is how it lets your plenum run cooler.
When you live in a warm area, there is no reason to flow hot coolant through it.

Its only when you are driving in really cold weather conditions that you want to open the valve and heat your plenum... So it doesn't get iced up.

I hope this helps.

Tony
Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM
citymunky

Tony

Thanks Tony
Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Because you live in an area where its warm most of the time, you will actually do well to install it. Your plenum will run a lot cooler with it installed.

By installing it, you can turn the valve to the OFF position, shutting off the hot coolant flow going to the plenum. And this is how it lets your plenum run cooler.
When you live in a warm area, there is no reason to flow hot coolant through it.

Its only when you are driving in really cold weather conditions that you want to open the valve and heat your plenum... So it doesn't get iced up.

I hope this helps.

Tony
hey Tony,

any chance you got a clearer picture of the hose i need to cut? the one in the manual doesn't really tell which.

thnx alot for the input
Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

See the video on our website.
http://www.motordyneengineering.com/manual.htm
Towards the end of the video it shows the installation of the CCV.

Its probably the easiest part of the whole procedure but let me know if you have any questions. I'll help out.

Tony
Old 11-06-2008, 02:50 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

thnx again Tony.

another question, i'm taking the car for 10 to 15mins drive where i'm going to install the spacer. how many hours should i wait for it to cool to start fixing the spacer? 3hrs is enough?

Last edited by maXmood; 11-06-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:45 AM
citymunky

when it's is cool to touch.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

+1 ^
Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

baah... still can't figure which hose. the vid is small, and tbh it's not clear which 1 is it...

just to make it clearer, if you watch the video @ 0:01:34 - 0:01:37, there is a hose hanging from the top plenum cover, is it this one?

sorry for those stupid/noob questions.

thnx again
Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 AM
citymunky

That double-click the video and it would take you to YouTube, where you could make the video full screen. That start watching at 6:52 to the end.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cX4hUGVC5gg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cX4hUGVC5gg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

^i've seen this portion of the vid, but it doesn't show where is the location of the cable is or where is it coming from. that's why if u read 1 post above yours, i'm trying to figure out if it was the same hose or not.

thnx anyways
Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

How about these?
This is everything I have in the way of pictures. The picture at the bottom may give you the best context.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:49 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

GOT IT FINALLY!! it just look a little bit different in my car..

btw, i never thought the installation is a pain in the ***. alot of hoses to unplug + being in shitty locations (and they weren't mentioned in the manual)..

now i'm stuck with this.. trying to figure out how to remove it, but to no avail. i don't wanna break it..
Old 11-08-2008, 03:02 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

another problem i'm facing is, the internal spacers (round white plastic) would snap in all 5 but only 1 would just sit on top of it..

i tried swapping between them to see what fits, but none would..... i don't know what to do...
Old 11-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

You can install everything without unplugging the throttle body harness. And I generally don't recommend unplugging it.

And what do you mean by "only 1 would just sit on top of it"?

Everything fits perfectly as long as its installed correctly. Be sure to read all of the installation manual.

Quick Reply: Plenum Spacer CCV installation...