Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 AM
2fast4ya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the strup headers, i have not had mine dynoed yet but i "felt"
a difference before any after-i originally had fast intentions hfcs mated
to them with fujitsubo y-pipe and exhaust-then i put on strup test pipes
and it felt a lot better-stinks real bad and makes black soot all over back
of car but feels a lot quicker.

strup headers are a copy of dc sports-so the guy who mentioned "dc sucks" and "strup is good" confuses me.

the install was horrible-took like 8hrs for two of us to install when using
a lift.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM
nismo240r

Megan

Nismo

Strup

DC

Stock vs. Impul

Crawford Equal Length. . .

I don't see any similarities between the Crawford headers and the other types. . .all the others (DC, Megan, Impul, etc. . .) have the same basic design. . .

Doug actually did some R&D into his product. . .
Old 02-20-2009, 11:46 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post thanks for the pics. I think the crawfords look the best but over 1K is a lot. If you had to choose something other than the crawfords, what would it be? I have never heard of Impul.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
nismo240r

http://www.impul.co.jp/index_top2.htm

not many people know about them, they build decent stuff but pricey. . .
i'm selling my impul headers if you don't want to buy the crawfords. . .
Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
SergEK

Originally Posted by 350Z_NOW
so strup gains power? how much?
I always laugh at people who complain about the cost of Z headers

All motor B series guys are dropping 1200-1500 for custom headers and getting the quality you would expect

Buying cheap, thin stainless shorty garbage headers is a waste of money....

I talked to Hytech about making long tubes for the VQ but to make it worth it I would have to get quite a few preorders....the problem is guys wouldnt want to shell out the cash for long tubes which might not gain huge on nearly stock motors....but once your into cams, ported heads, intake manis....the header is going to need be upgraded beyond little garbage shorty headers....long tube equal length headers will be needed and unless you get a bunch of guys together to get a prototype made your stuck paying them for the R&D for just your header

Hytech charges about 10K to develop a header and about 1K or so to replicate it....you can see whoever puts up the 10K has to charge a little more to get the initial 10K back or get 20 guys to agree to paying 1500 etc..

Considering I have a revup and alot of guys have the regular DE and then the new kids have HRs...designing a header thats going to work on a nearly stock DE vs nearly stock HR vs my revup....you can see how its a little difficult...or you can make a bunch of compromises and just say tough for whoever it doesnt work for

But if 20-30 revup guys get in at once and have them build a long tube header for a bolt-on motor with tuning youll see gains worth the money as well as room to grow once cams and head work are done

I think with the cost of an all motor setup so steep alot of Z guys just stick to the cheap easy stuff and call it a day....why spend 1500 + labor on headers if right now it only gains 10-15whp when they can grab a nitrous kit and add an extra 110-150hp for about the same amount....

Then all the cry babies complaning how loud the car is yada yada yada....

NA part work as a team and headers cant be slapped on and expected to make max gains...they pave the way for more exhaust flow and their true worth is shown on modded motors...upped cams, compression and port flow...suddenly the header is holding back 30-50whp and effecting the powerband

SO....if your serious about making powerful headers there are people out there that will help you R&D...but headers alone arent going to make massive gains unless the motor itself is being choked by the stock piece.... I have seen 1.8L integra motors make 20-25whp gains with the right header and exhaust....the Z motor doesnt rev to 8600rpm, doesnt flow as well as that head and isnt as high on the compression...so I wouldnt expect 40-50whp from just header/exhaust combo on a VQ....but header/test pipe/exhaust should net 20-25whp wih a good tune on stock cams....

From what I have noticed from my dynos NIssan runs them really rich....tune them more agressively with more flow and the gains should be there....The HRs will obviouly gain more but how many guys wanna spend 1500 (plus labor) for a header, 250 for a test pipe and 600-1200 for exhaust and another 750 or so for a tune to find out ...say 3300 for hopefully an extra 25whp.....back to a simple nitrous kit

Ive seen tons of custom equal length long tube honda headers and eventually the copy cats come to market...sometimes the copycats make even more power (slightly mod'd design) somtimes they are a little less...but given the sheer volume of enthusiasts they can lower their prices and make it up on that volume....

20 sets at 1500 or 100 sets at 1100.....the lower price will get more folks to buy but are their 100 guys willing to part with their money vs 20....

Now you see why the copycats make the shorties....same product...cheaper materials...lower price...more volume = $

I think youll see long tubes on a 370 more often than a 350 simply because with some tuning those cams in the 370 will support enough flow to really need them....the VVEL will suport 300* duration and serious lift....very different from the puny 240/238 DE and 248/248 REVUP in the 350s...

Last edited by SergEK; 02-24-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 AM
jdhuegel1

Originally Posted by 350Z_NOW
anybody ?

I think you should listen to those that have already told you they are not worth the money.

Unless you just like wasting money... and telling the Honda boys you too have I/H/E

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just doesn't seem worth it unless you are building up the entire engine. Better off piecing together a F/I project.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no matter which headers you get, crawford, strup, dc, borla... they are all going to suck vs the money it takes to get them on there.

A week after you spend the 1k (minimum) you wont notice you've even upgraded. Save your money, dont be fooled into someone saying "crawford is the best" which they are, but still suck. If you consider 8hp worth $1500 than thats up to you. sometimes i let one rip into my seat coming out of 3rd gear and i gain 8hp... you decide
Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
AEBS

tomei with tomei test pipes with a their header wrap is good they race n/a z in japan but really the crawford is best but really not worth the money buy cams instead