Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix V+ Plenum Install (06 DE Install) Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
djcetra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kinetix V+ Plenum Install (06 DE Install) Question

For those of you who have installed it, it looks like there's a elbow bypass for a tube under the throttle body, looked like antifreeze flows through the tube, I'm just wondering if that's the correct hose for the bypass. Anyone who has installed this, help me out plz, just want to make sure I put the bypass on the right hose and the instructions were kinda bad on the printout.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:47 PM
djcetra

Originally Posted by djcetra
For those of you who have installed it, it looks like there's a elbow bypass for a tube under the throttle body, looked like antifreeze flows through the tube, I'm just wondering if that's the correct hose for the bypass. Anyone who has installed this, help me out plz, just want to make sure I put the bypass on the right hose and the instructions were kinda bad on the printout.
After the initial installation of the plenum everything seemed to be working fine so I took it for a test spin for about 30min. I could feel the added HP and decided to return home to put the engine cover back on and noticed several tears near the bolts where I had hand tightened them down. I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue.

I have uploaded images of the problems in question and would like your help.

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/imag...num1-hires.jpg

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/imag...num2-hires.jpg

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/images/car/plenum3.jpg

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/images/car/plenum4.jpg

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/images/car/plenum5.jpg

I took it around a few blocks for about 10 minutes after letting it warm up shifting redline quite a few times to see if the tears would get worse but there was no change.

Please advise.

Last edited by djcetra; 03-22-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Was a torque spec given in the installation manual?
If yes, did you follow it?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 AM
djcetra

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Was a torque spec given in the installation manual?
If yes, did you follow it?
No there wasn't unfortunately, the printout for the manual was very messy and in bad quality. I didn't even put much pressure when putting it on. Everything appeared to be ok until after driving around for 30min or so. After some research, apparently the Kinetix V+ Plenums are known for cracking if too much torque is used. I took it off and packaged it back up for replacement then put my stock plenum back on..

Bummer, but at least when the replacement comes I'll know to be more careful.

Last edited by djcetra; 03-22-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:12 AM
350z-Jim

No there wasn't unfortunately, the printout for the manual was very messy and in bad quality. I didn't even put much torque pressure when putting it on. After some research, apparently the Kinetix V+ Plenums are known for cracking if too much torque is used. I took it off and packaged it back up for replacement then put my stock plenum back on..

Bummer, but at least when the replacement comes I'll know to be more careful.
Did they agree to replace it? I was gonna say that aluminum looks as though its been tightened down way too much. Even with crappy instructions I'm surprised they will warranty something like user install error. Aluminum like that with a gasket only needs to be slightly more than hand tight, as in 15-20ft/lbs to not leak.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:38 PM
djcetra

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
Did they agree to replace it? I was gonna say that aluminum looks as though its been tightened down way too much. Even with crappy instructions I'm surprised they will warranty something like user install error. Aluminum like that with a gasket only needs to be slightly more than hand tight, as in 15-20ft/lbs to not leak.
Well, it's not made out of aluminum, it's made out of some sort of plastic. Kinetix felt that I did over tighten them but none the less stuck by their warranty and are shipping me out a new one. Their customer service is fantastic, I wish more companies were like this.

Last edited by djcetra; 03-23-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:56 PM
350z-Jim

Its plastic? Crazy. Thats good actually the thermal properties of plastic are awesome.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 PM
zcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the initial installation of the plenum everything seemed to be working fine so I took it for a test spin for about 30min. I could feel the added HP and decided to return home to put the engine cover back on and noticed several tears near the bolts where I had hand tightened them down. I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue.

I have uploaded images of the problems in question and would like your help.

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/imag...num1-hires.jpg

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/imag...num2-hires.jpg

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/images/car/plenum3.jpg

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/images/car/plenum4.jpg

http://www.nuthinbutrespect.com/images/car/plenum5.jpg

I took it around a few blocks for about 10 minutes after letting it warm up shifting redline quite a few times to see if the tears would get worse but there was no change.

Please advise.
when you talked to them did they give you a torque reading as to what it should be tightened to? i know with the md spacer says 100lbs. my plenum should be here friday. i was just gonna use that torque rating but now im wondering if thats too tight. also did you find out about that bypass? i had bought the md iso thermal upgrade with the aramid gasket to keep the lower plenum cooler and the ccv to turn the coolant off from going to the throttle body. how did you like the plenum? did you get the new one on?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 AM
Thermal1

MD spacer says 100 INCH-LBS not the same as 100 FT-LBS. Use a nut-driver instead of a socket wrench. Thats Tony's suggestion and it's what I did.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by Apothyosis
MD spacer says 100 INCH-LBS not the same as 100 FT-LBS. Use a nut-driver instead of a socket wrench. Thats Tony's suggestion and it's what I did.
whats a tq wrench read at? ft or inch? what do u mean by a nut driver? like an open ended wrench?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
danieluser

like a screwdriver but on the other side is a nut.

hand torque it down snuggly
Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
Its plastic? Crazy. Thats good actually the thermal properties of plastic are awesome.
Thats why i bought mine 2 years ago, its freaking hot out here. Installed it along with the motordyne ISO gasket.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:58 PM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by danieluser
like a screwdriver but on the other side is a nut.

hand torque it down snuggly
so just and tighten it as hard as i can with a screwdriver type socket? that will be tight enough?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Thermal1

Originally Posted by zcoupe
whats a tq wrench read at? ft or inch? what do u mean by a nut driver? like an open ended wrench?
Nut driver:

Yes. Snug it up tight with that instead of a socket wrench. This way you dont have any leverage so you shouldn't be able to over tighten.

Most torque wrenches I have seen measure in ft-lbs not inch-lbs.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
EricChan
Banned for NON PAYMENT

I have the same Plenum and I do believe the Torque Specs said ... "72 inch pounds" so thats about 6 ft. lbs. or so.... Actually, I know its their... I just read it again.

Anyway... Yes you shouldn't over tighten the bolts... I actually started out with a little over a 100 in.lbs. and I actually didn't even break the plenum.. I broke the Bolt head right off... I had thought the plastic would have broken before this would happen.

I must say... This plenum is AMAZING!!! It sounds Awesome and whats even better is the fact that I can drive Hard ALL DAY LONG and the Plenum just feels warm, which I know is helping the Air temps going into the engine for sure.

Edit: Heres a PDF link to Kinetix V 4 plenum (not the V+ I know.. but the torque specs are the same) Look on the last page:

http://www.kinetixracing.com/images/...m%20Manual.pdf

Last edited by EricChan; 04-03-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 AM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by OCTrackZ
I have the same Plenum and I do believe the Torque Specs said ... "72 inch pounds" so thats about 6 ft. lbs. or so.... Actually, I know its their... I just read it again.

Anyway... Yes you shouldn't over tighten the bolts... I actually started out with a little over a 100 in.lbs. and I actually didn't even break the plenum.. I broke the Bolt head right off... I had thought the plastic would have broken before this would happen.

I must say... This plenum is AMAZING!!! It sounds Awesome and whats even better is the fact that I can drive Hard ALL DAY LONG and the Plenum just feels warm, which I know is helping the Air temps going into the engine for sure.

Edit: Heres a PDF link to Kinetix V 4 plenum (not the V+ I know.. but the torque specs are the same) Look on the last page:

thanks alot. i actually just read through my instructions and found that exact page.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:57 PM
zcoupe

gonna install it 2mrw. anticipation is killing me lol
Attached Thumbnails Kinetix V+ Plenum Install (06 DE Install) Question-0404091211.jpg  
Old 04-04-2009, 04:34 PM
EricChan
Banned for NON PAYMENT

You guys won't regret this mod! I just love the sound if anything.

Heres a pic of mine... I ended up painting it. My engine looks so much diff. since this pic but here it is:

Name:  CIMG0884.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  128.9 KB
Old 04-04-2009, 07:54 PM
zcoupe

You guys won't regret this mod! I just love the sound if anything.

Heres a pic of mine... I ended up painting it. My engine looks so much diff. since this pic but here it is:

looks hot
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 AM
djcetra

Yea I was correct about the bypass it is for the coolant. When installing the new one we found that it was best to just hand tighten it well at first and let it run for about 20 minutes, took it around the block lightly then came back and torqued it down carefully to the 6ft/lbs specification.

Thoughts on the plenum? I think it works very well and it also sounds great! I think it's well worth the money and you can feel the difference it makes especially along with a JWT popcharger.

Good buy, good customer support.

Quick Reply: Kinetix V+ Plenum Install (06 DE Install) Question