Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

ADVANTAGE OF X PIPE vs H PIPE vs TRUE DUAL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Darkness75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Phreakdout

i`v sent a lot of e-mails to magna but they never answer me about my Q ,here is a copy of it :
"Dear Magnaflow ,
i have 350Z `05 with APS 2.5 TrueDual Exaust on it ,and i have a great amount of rasp ,so i was told that if i placed a magna tru-X crossover i will get less rasp.
i wounder if you can help me : which tru-X crossover would be perfect with my exhaust part# 10791 or 10781 ?
and any info i should know about the installment of the tru-X crossover pipe ?
the details of my exhaust in this site link http://www.airpowersystems.com/350z/exhaust/exhaust.htm

so Phreakdout , the only difference between the tow X-pipes is one of them is 12" length and the other on is 9.5" but both are 2.5" .
can you help me with that ,if you please ?? or any directions on how to install the X-pipe on TD Exhaust ?? thank you for your help

P.S : sorry kylerumsey for jacking off your thread but i see it related for anyone wants to know about X and H pipes ,thank you

Last edited by Darkness75; 03-24-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Actually I'm not sure if you will be able to fit without some serious bends. If you choices are ONLY those two, get the 1st one. The X will help with rasp a bit due to it's inherit design.

But if you goal is combat rasp, then I'd get a resonated X pipe. It will do a better job at reducing rasp while not giving up any performance.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Darkness75

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually I'm not sure if you will be able to fit without some serious bends. If you choices are ONLY those two, get the 1st one. The X will help with rasp a bit due to it's inherit design.

But if you goal is combat rasp, then I'd get a resonated X pipe. It will do a better job at reducing rasp while not giving up any performance.
resonated X pipe ? what brand will go with this exhaust ?? if you know
Old 03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
B5I8

Magnaflow makes a resonated x-pipe that would probably be a lot easier to weld in.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=14386
Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Darkness75

Originally Posted by B5I8
Magnaflow makes a resonated x-pipe that would probably be a lot easier to weld in.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=14386
from the photos of the regular X-pipe and the exhaust i can see there is a simi-x link in the exhaust the i can use it in (maybe i was wrong)

but for this resonated x-pipe i can`t see how it will fit it has stright in-out pipes and the exhaust don`t
Old 03-25-2009, 10:25 PM
B5I8

Ah yes I see what you mean. There are angles throughout the piping. Either way you'd have to go custom to get an x-pipe on there whether it be resonated or not.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Darkness75

is there a redonated stright pipe i can get ? so i can link a resonated pipe to each down-pipe in my TrueDual exhaust ?

am i making any sence to you guys !!!
i`m realy pissed-off coz i bought the wrong exhaust for my needs and i`m trying to fix that (and in my country i couldn`t find any one would like to buy it ... and for now i can`t buy another one )
Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Jeff92se

Originally Posted by Darkness75
is there a redonated stright pipe i can get ? so i can link a resonated pipe to each down-pipe in my TrueDual exhaust ?

am i making any sence to you guys !!!
i`m realy pissed-off coz i bought the wrong exhaust for my needs and i`m trying to fix that (and in my country i couldn`t find any one would like to buy it ... and for now i can`t buy another one )
Performance Peddler. Absolutely the cheapest. Search X pipe here. I used this one because it's one of the few that Magnaflow actually LISTS as having a True X pipe. But some have reported that some of their non-polished units have the X pipe inside(about $77 shipped). Although it's not listed on their website. I've actually confirmed with Magnaflow with the model I have: $90 shipped approx. I used a 14385 as it has the 2.25" pipe that my Borla has.

I know how you feel. My Borla dual for my G sedan droned like a mother AND had no X or H. Just 2 in / 2 out premuffler. So I had to buy this and pay to have it installed. But it's sooo worth it. Sound and performance.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 03-26-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Jeff92se

Custom pipe out of the cats into the resonated X pipe and have it exit right where the sysem angles out again to the dual resonators.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phreakdout:

While I agree with your assements regarding the sound portion of these items, I disagree with your conclusions about the performance aspects. Hot Rodders have been debating the characteristics of H / X / no crossovers for many years. Although specific applications may differ, the general consensus is that some type of cross over is better than nothing and the X is probably superior to all.
http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....p/exhaust.html

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

There are probably tons more examples but this is what I've found with a quick google.
The examples only hold true for cross-plane V8s (90 degree crank). Uneven firing order causes 2 cylinders to fire in succession on the same side, this happens once per side on both banks, during the entire cycle. If the headers/extractors are of standard arrangement, and not a 180 degree header, theres an uneven build up of pressure from bank to bank. Most other crank configurations don't suffer from this effect.

TK
Old 03-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Jeff92se

Originally Posted by T_K
The examples only hold true for cross-plane V8s (90 degree crank). Uneven firing order causes 2 cylinders to fire in succession on the same side, this happens once per side on both banks, during the entire cycle. If the headers/extractors are of standard arrangement, and not a 180 degree header, theres an uneven build up of pressure from bank to bank. Most other crank configurations don't suffer from this effect.

TK
Interesting but not sure how it applies here. But do you have a picture of these 180 deg header? I assume the example you are talking about is a pretty rare beast.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:17 AM
T_K

Interesting but not sure how it applies here. But do you have a picture of these 180 deg header? I assume the example you are talking about is a pretty rare beast.
It's definitely not a common part, I don't think there are many of these available if at all. Most are custom made.

180degreeMedium.jpg?t=1238335329

TK
Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 AM
tranceformer95

Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Darkness75

i went to exhaust shop with pic`s of my APS 2.5 and the three magnaflow X-Pipe models to see which one will fit !
and it`s confirm ......non of them will fit and it must be costumed
so i`ll take it to him next week and get it done and i`ll post thread about it before and after with dayno`s
c ya
Old 03-30-2009, 06:05 AM
kylerumsey

I love it !!!!!!!!!! Bring on the info!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 AM
kylerumsey

Here is one 4 everyone.my hf cats dont have the mounts for for that "c" bracket that mounts under under the tranny and to the cats.any solutions?is this an easy fix for an exhaust shop? i can feel my shifter shaking sometimes because of this.let me know please.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by Darkness75
i went to exhaust shop with pic`s of my APS 2.5 and the three magnaflow X-Pipe models to see which one will fit !
and it`s confirm ......non of them will fit and it must be costumed
so i`ll take it to him next week and get it done and i`ll post thread about it before and after with dayno`s
c ya
Interested to see how it turns out for you. I want to do this with my Greddy EVO-TT, to cut down on the drone.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by kylerumsey
Here is one 4 everyone.my hf cats dont have the mounts for for that "c" bracket that mounts under under the tranny and to the cats.any solutions?is this an easy fix for an exhaust shop? i can feel my shifter shaking sometimes because of this.let me know please.
Anyone that knows their way around a welder should be able to fab something up to work. Some of the newer parts address this issue and include that bracket. Just a few measurements and some welding should easily take care of something like that.

Darkness75: Adding a standard X-Pipe should have some effect to the sound, simply due to the nature of exhaust noise cancellation. If there exists any uneven pressure in the pipes between banks, it should in theory address that a bit as well. If the sheer volume of the exhaust is a concern, the only real solution is to increase muffler volume, either through additional resonators, mufflers or even the resonated X-Pipe that Magnaflow offers.

The problem with aftermarket exhausts in general is that most of them use standard parts that the company already offers. These parts are usually modified a bit in some way to adjust for fitment, but usually, keyword usually, is that the actual parts aren't very application specific.

If anyone has ever deconstructed the OEM muffler, it's obvious the amount of engineering and detail that goes into it's construction. It's far from just a box, the lengths of the perforated cores, and the volume of the resonance chambers are specific for the engine/car, and it contributes quite a bit to that "Z sound." This construction is pretty hard to replicate without spending a large sum of money that most aftermarket part manufacturers wouldn't be willing to invest for a single application.

TK
Old 03-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Jeff92se

Originally Posted by T_K
It's definitely not a common part, I don't think there are many of these available if at all. Most are custom made.

TK
Oh damn! LOL. Yeah, that's how I imagine it would have to be in order to compensate for two pulses coming from the same side. Gebus, what a tangle of a mess that is. Cool too look at but damn if I'd own that.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM
dryseals

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
There's a big misconception about the intended function of the X-Pipe versus the H-Pipe.

The H-Pipe does balance out the pressures and slightly helps start the scavange effect on the next exhaust pulse. But it's most effective use when properly placed and sized is for it's tuning function. Sound waves enter the tube changing to a specific frequency that was found to be a problem. Prehaps a droaning noise at highway speeds. With the correct placement in the system and correct inside diameter, sound waves entering the tub shift to the problem frequency. When like frequencies collide, they cancel.

The power comes from opening up the exhaust. A slight add comes from the scavenge effect but ultimately the H-pipe is to counter the noise from opening up the exhaust.

The X-Pipe on the other hand is more effective in sound cancellation. By forcing the exhaust streams to collide, some sound frequencies are cancelled. (In a much larger range than the H-Pipe.) You would think the two exhaust paths colliding would cause more backpressure. In reality, the exhaust flow mass follows the path down the same side. (Bending around the inside of the X.)

The sound frequencies cross paths of the exhaust. Cancellation of like frequencies occur even though the mass of the exhaust flow hits and deflects into the same side pipe.

This is all assuming WOT condition or near full mass flow rate. At lower flow rate, the X-pipe does make the low frequency idle sound a little irratic. Something desireable in a Mustang or Corvette. But a Cadillac wouldn't care for it.

This is used as a band aid in tuning high performance vehicles to meet the legal pass-by requirements. Something that is difficult to do on a car like the Viper Roadster or Corvette.

The X-pipe idea was tried on the Viper roadster but ultimately they used the H-pipe design. If you've ever seen the OE system on a Viper Roadster, the exhaust exits the headers, enters an un-Godly hot converter that I have seen damage body panels and melt basalt packing back into a crystal solid. It runs down the side of the car into the main muffler and then to the rear axle. Then it turns to the opposite side and hits the H-pipe which is over the axle and exits out before the axle on the opposite side of the car. If it were not for the Pass-By requirements, this would be an easy design.

Designs like this and the birth of the X-pipe all stem from the need to meet the requirement. Again, the X-pipe just allows the exhaust to be opened up more while tuning out undesireable frequencies. It's ability to "add" power is a debate most drawn up by aftermarket marketing managers. Everyone loves a gadget.

Well yes and no. The H pipe is an old hot rodder trick for gaining more torque. H pipes were fit between the header and the muffler. When an exhaust pulse hits the muffler, a portion of it bounces back down the pipe towards the header. As it's moving back down the pipe, it'll run head on into the next exiting pulse and cause a loss in scavenging.

What was done in the old days was to jack up the car and rev the engine to the RPM of interest, spray a cheap paint. The area of concern, where the two pulses collide will cause a rise in temperature on the pipe and bubble the paint. The H pipe was located just a tad behind there to reduce pressure, giving the returning pulse a place to go.

Quick Reply: ADVANTAGE OF X PIPE vs H PIPE vs TRUE DUAL?