Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Single vs Dual Exhaust Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Invidia N1 is a nice sounding, cheaper, catback. If you keep your stock cats, y pipe, etc.. then it just has a nice deep tone to it.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CheekyChung
I'm looking for an exhaust with a low mellow rumble, and try to stay away from the high pitch whine/rasp in the upper RPMs.
Cabin noise is not much of a concern, but nothing so loud that cops will want to hassle me over.
I don't want too big of pipes because its a DD, and I don't want to lose too much low end, or wake up neighbors in the mornings/nights.
I'm okay with either style visually, but I'll choose one over the other if there's a significant weight difference that I can easily notice in the butt-dyno, or the Gas milage.
Id recommend the Borla TD: Has a deeper rumble to it, not obnoxiously loud, and aside from the larger tips it looks oem. Only downside is its a bit pricey for an exhaust that doesnt sound that much different from oem. I have this exhaust minus the resonators and Im happy with it-about 25% louder but at the cost of rasp at WOT.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Generally speaking, the dual exit from the same muffler will mean it's a chambered muffler, they will generally cause more restriction in the gas flow and also generally be quieter.

Weight between the two won't be felt on the road nor in gas mileage.

Low tones, depends if you want something you can hear around town or only when you step on it. The borla is low, but is generally fairly quiet.

I chose the Motordyne system for my DD, i wanted to be able to hear it when i was around town (i don't mean loud, just audible) but i also wanted good cruising characteristics, a low tone and no rasp/drone/etc.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 PM
CheekyChung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
Generally speaking, the dual exit from the same muffler will mean it's a chambered muffler, they will generally cause more restriction in the gas flow and also generally be quieter.

Weight between the two won't be felt on the road nor in gas mileage.

Low tones, depends if you want something you can hear around town or only when you step on it. The borla is low, but is generally fairly quiet.

I chose the Motordyne system for my DD, i wanted to be able to hear it when i was around town (i don't mean loud, just audible) but i also wanted good cruising characteristics, a low tone and no rasp/drone/etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnV-CKg4zOE
That's a kickass sounding exhaust! I love Motordyne's R&D and quality stuff. It's waaaay out of my budget, though... Maybe in the future if I don't get an exhaust until then.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yeah, twas way out of my budget too, i bought it in stages and saved, didn't want to mess around.
Got the ART pipes and XYZ first.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 PM
teeohfosho

since momentum performance went out of business and no one/no where is selling the dual catback exhaust, i might just have to search around for the single exit now. even though i would love nothing more than to find the dual exhaust, i absolutely love how the exhaust sounds and might just have to try and find the single exit. my only problem is that i feel, especially being a 350z, that having a single output exhaust on this car makes it so much more 'ricer' looking. I'd obviously do a bumper tuck if i went this route, but i still feel it looks very ricer with a single output. anybody with their 2 cents?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Then get motordyne

Problem solved
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 AM
MM'08_350Z

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

MOTORDYNE TDX V2 FTW!!!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM
teeohfosho

gaahhhh so expensive though
Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by teeohfosho
gaahhhh so expensive though
Learn how to stop caring what other people think about your car. This isn't highschool.
Or pony up the cash.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Surg

Originally Posted by Qtip350z
Last june I installed this exoticspeed R1-T PWR exhaust, it's a single pipe back from the y-pipe but a dual muffler/tip at the rear.
The sound is amazing, IMO one of the best sounding exhaust hands down!
Here is a couple of pics before and after my vinyl wrap.

Hey it looks incredible no doubt but still not a true dual exhaust. Look up the DC Sports it is true dual with no restriction. Not to you specifically in general
I think your exhaust system looks great.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

The Motordyne was really worth saving for, and the sound is to die for

Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Surg

Originally Posted by teeohfosho
since momentum performance went out of business and no one/no where is selling the dual catback exhaust, i might just have to search around for the single exit now. even though i would love nothing more than to find the dual exhaust, i absolutely love how the exhaust sounds and might just have to try and find the single exit. my only problem is that i feel, especially being a 350z, that having a single output exhaust on this car makes it so much more 'ricer' looking. I'd obviously do a bumper tuck if i went this route, but i still feel it looks very ricer with a single output. anybody with their 2 cents?
They are selling a true dual exhaust catback.
Attached Thumbnails Single vs Dual Exhaust Question & Answer Thread-exhaust-054.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

That doesn't look true dual at all :/
Old 11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

it definitely looks true dual? what are you looking at fc2damax?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:27 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

he's looking at just the muffler section
Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Inside that muffler, there are chambers and sound deadening material, where the two exhausts go into it, they all converge again, therefore, not true dual.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Surg

Inside that muffler, there are chambers and sound deadening material, where the two exhausts go into it, they all converge again, therefore, not true dual.
It is a true dual as there is no y pipe but two separate tubes coming from the resonated test pipes also there are two tubes going straight through the muffler
there is no chambers at all. Look at the picture how the pipes line up on the muffler also I put a wire thru before install.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Ahh, so it doesn't link inside there at all? so there is no pulse merging? that doesn't sound good

I can't see from the picture, anything that says the pipes entering the rear muffler don't open up inside, i'm afraid.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Surg

Ahh, so it doesn't link inside there at all? so there is no pulse merging? that doesn't sound good

I can't see from the picture, anything that says the pipes entering the rear muffler don't open up inside, i'm afraid.
I cant get a blue print on the design. It is a pipe going thru that is all with a wire I could tap the sides I checked also with a string and blowing air thru.
The ad on this said straight through design. This is a well known system and some other members have installed it and were very happy with the outcome'
There is also dyno sheets on horsepower gains and the sound is like an exotic.
It is all on another thread on this same site.

Quick Reply: Single vs Dual Exhaust Question & Answer Thread