Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stock air filter vs. K&N

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM
SchismX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Thanks for the info but Im sticking with my K&N.
+1, I'll probably upgrade to an 06 airbox later though.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
costilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the hks foam filters, should get them this tuesday. Its the same foam they use on their mushroom filters. Should be good, non oiled.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by costilla
I ordered the hks foam filters, should get them this tuesday. Its the same foam they use on their mushroom filters. Should be good, non oiled.
Look into more info about the mushroom filters, they are only good at stopping large objects from getting by.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:51 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Look into more info about the mushroom filters, they are only good at stopping large objects from getting by.
+1

Not worth ingesting crap for minimal to no gains IMO. That's why i left K&N also.

Last edited by halfass872; 05-03-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 AM
johns350

I went from Stock to K&N a few months ago - and honestly I cannot tell a difference. I had @7.5k miles on it at the time - so the stock wasn't too dirty.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

no dyno, no care
Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
costilla

Originally Posted by terrasmak
No, they are drop in filters.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 PM
CSF

Went from stock filter to amsoil...Any gains were within margin of error of the butt dyno. Maybe a sound difference.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:37 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by CSF
Went from stock filter to amsoil...Any gains were within margin of error of the butt dyno. Maybe a sound difference.
There is a difference, but probably not enough to be noticeable with a naturaly aspirated engine.

With the SC i could tell a considerable difference in the butt dyno between my OEM and the Amsoil. But i think that's mainly because i'm flowing more air. But between the K&N and Amsoil i could tell no difference.

So IMO i think the Amsoil filter is a SAFE alternative to the Oil filter in a FI setup. And OEM is just fine for a NA motor.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:02 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

He's pro'bly talking about the Fram Air Hog, which is simply the equivalent of a K&N. The K&N filter was possibly in dire need of a good clean-up, like some of you dudes suggested. I've had a K&N for about a year now, & I ain't got any regrets about purchasing it! A once-a-year recharge kit clean-up does wonders!

Last edited by j.arnaldo; 05-04-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:22 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are so lame. just use oem filter, any other filter will be less restrictive, it will induce the engine to use unfiltered air, and it will yield little to no horsepower.

the guys using aftermarket and say they feel "an increase in throttle respone" are all full of shiit.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by singh
you guys are so lame. just use oem filter, any other filter will be less restrictive, it will induce the engine to use unfiltered air, and it will yield little to no horsepower.

the guys using aftermarket and say they feel "an increase in throttle respone" are all full of shiit.
+1
Old 05-05-2009, 03:22 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
I've had a K&N for about a year now, & I ain't got any regrets about purchasing it! A once-a-year recharge kit clean-up does wonders!
I've used them since they came out. UNTILL someone brought up a good point on here. Next time you clean your filter hold it up to the light before you re-install it. Look at the thousands of pinholes in it! After i did that, i will NEVER put another K&N filter in my car, or any car!!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:33 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by singh

This depends on other factors...

Well first off, improvements in air intake are not going to help you that much, at least not by themselves. <---NOTICE key phrase...

An engine is essentially an air pump. You can try to bring as much air as you want through the intake, but the engine is only going to take in what it can exhaust. So if the exhaust can't push the amount of air that the intake can pull....guess what? You've just wasted your money.

Secondly, while K&N filters, or many other after market high flow filters for that matter, do allow a larger volume of air to come through into the intake, the problem is that they let more dirt through to accomplish it.

Now, when combined with an after market, less restrictive exhuast system, whether that consists of HFCs, test pipes, etc. and the exhaust then you will not only hear the difference but also feel it on the butt dyno as well as see it on a real dyno.

Personally, I prefer the coned filters from a CAI or short ram rather than the drop ins. It seems that you see less "pin holes" with the coned filters. I swap my Injen CAI filter with a clean one each time I change my oil and I've had no problems with it.

My 2 cents...
Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by pangoman
This depends on other factors...

Well first off, improvements in air intake are not going to help you that much, at least not by themselves. <---NOTICE key phrase...

An engine is essentially an air pump. You can try to bring as much air as you want through the intake, but the engine is only going to take in what it can exhaust. So if the exhaust can't push the amount of air that the intake can pull....guess what? You've just wasted your money.

Secondly, while K&N filters, or many other after market high flow filters for that matter, do allow a larger volume of air to come through into the intake, the problem is that they let more dirt through to accomplish it.

Now, when combined with an after market, less restrictive exhuast system, whether that consists of HFCs, test pipes, etc. and the exhaust then you will not only hear the difference but also feel it on the butt dyno as well as see it on a real dyno.

Personally, I prefer the coned filters from a CAI or short ram rather than the drop ins. It seems that you see less "pin holes" with the coned filters. I swap my Injen CAI filter with a clean one each time I change my oil and I've had no problems with it.

My 2 cents...
Well worded. BUT....you need to out flow the OEM filter/intake before you are going to get any real gains from an aftermarket system. So YES.....i agree with your statement. BUT only if you apply it to F/I applications where you are flowing a butt ton more air.

For example.....I've got a Stillen blower, the only FI out there that you can still use the stock intake with. After a couple years i went from my poop charger to a 2006 OEM airbox with a drop in Amosil dry filter for the purpose of gettign more cold air in, vice the "hot air" effects of short ram intakes like the poop charger. I was plesantly surprised to feel a significant improvement in the butt dyno, not to mention lessened heat soak as well. Not saying it necesarly flowed more then the poop charger. But it definatly didn't flow any less.

My point being, if i'm not out flowing the OEM box with a blower spinning 12,000 RPMs. Then i HIGHLY doubt you are going to outflow the OEM filter and box in a NA motor.

Also, don't forget. The intake pipe is only 3 1/2 ID. Whereas the airbox has significanty more surface area. it's not as if you are trying to flow all that air across a 3 1/2 inch area of your filter. Thus the large panel filter Nissan uses which would counter act any restriction of the OEM filter.

Last edited by halfass872; 05-05-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:01 AM
VassiliZeitsev

This thread has definitely kept me from ordering my K&N. I still want to add a few horsies to my Z for a decent price which is why I thought going K&N would help. Now I'm sad.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by VassiliZeitsev
This thread has definitely kept me from ordering my K&N. I still want to add a few horsies to my Z for a decent price which is why I thought going K&N would help. Now I'm sad.
Don't sweat the small mods. Get one so you can experience it yourself. We've all done it. I've gone back and forth from OEM to popcharger a few times. lol If you don't like it, you sell it on here and move on. It's all part of the hobby!!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 AM
ajcool2

lol get the K&N dude.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 AM
VassiliZeitsev

Originally Posted by halfass872
Don't sweat the small mods. Get one so you can experience it yourself. We've all done it. I've gone back and forth from OEM to popcharger a few times. lol If you don't like it, you sell it on here and move on. It's all part of the hobby!!
I still might...I've always owned K&N filters. Its definitely part of the hobby...wish this wasn't as expensive of a hobby!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 AM
halfass872

I still might...I've always owned K&N filters. Its definitely part of the hobby...wish this wasn't as expensive of a hobby!

Yeah no $hit. Gotta pay to play tho!!

Just remember, when you push the envelope on performance, in turn you sacrafice reliability. K&N is a prime example of that.

Quick Reply: Stock air filter vs. K&N