Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Megan V2 testpipes fitment issues....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM
skn5002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan V2 testpipes fitment issues....

Anyone having fitment issues with the passenger side test pipe? The drivers side pipe fits perfect with good clearance. On the passenger side however, the resonator sits a lot higher and comes very close, if not pressing on the heat shield on the undercarriage of the car. I bolted on the ypipe hoping that perhaps the added weight would bring the resonator down a little, but this did not happen. When idling, I can hear the vibrations come from the heat shield. I do not think this is something that can be fixed by loosening the exhaust parts up and retightening, since the test pipe have the flex joints. I gave Megan Racing a call and they told me that the clearance is usually very tight on the passenger side. Is this true or is it bs? I may try to hammer the heat shield to provide more clearance.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some members have had better luck with fitting test pipes. Do the pipes have bracket supports. Can you use the supports to tweak the fit?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:46 PM
genegoesfast

you can remove the heatsheilds. they are only important when you are running cats.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM
skn5002

Originally Posted by davidv
Some members have had better luck with fitting test pipes. Do the pipes have bracket supports. Can you use the supports to tweak the fit?
There are no bracket supports. I think I will either hammer the heat shield or remove them completely, depending on the clearance gained. The pipes will be wrapped so hopefully heat will not be an issue. If this doesn't work, then I'll probably try to fabricate a support bracket that will put pressure on the pipes and lower them a bit.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 PM
kramykram

megan = junk
Old 05-20-2009, 07:59 AM
CancerJCCz

Originally Posted by genegoesfast
you can remove the heatsheilds. they are only important when you are running cats.
Quick thread hijack. Is it possible to remove them without removing tp's? Yes I could pull out the jack and stands from my 2nd floor apt and look myself, but I am just hoping to get a quick answer. At low (very low below normal idle or right around it) I get some rattling. Sorry OP I have AAM tp's so I am know help to you. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
alfonsohaskins

i have megan tp, and headers, with injen exhaust. and i just took my heat shield off. and i can still hear the rattle when iam taking off. but mine seems to be coming from the bumper some how. h*** i dont know where it is coming from to be honest. but u can take the shield off, with out taking the tp off. they just slide down the far side pretty easy.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 AM
CancerJCCz

Originally Posted by alfonsohaskins
But u can take the shield off, with out taking the tp off. They just slide down the far side pretty easy.
Preciate it!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 AM
skn5002

The heat shield can be removed without taking of the testpipe. Three 10mm screws and some slight bending will get them off in less than 5 minutes. This is the only area of the exhaust that was rubbing, so hopefully there will be no more sounds. Removal of the heat shield gave almost an inch of clearance. I only had to remove the shield on the passenger side, as the driver's side pipe fit perfectly with great clearance. I guess this is the way the pipes were designed. I have the STS turbo kit on my car by the way.

Besides the small fitment issue that was easily solved by removing the heat shield, the quality of the Megan pipes were surprisingly good. The welds on the pipes are very well done. Before buying these pipes, I had considered purchasing one of the higher end resonated test pipes such as Kinetix. However, every brand seemed to have their fair share of cracking issues. The Megan test pipes were half the price and comes with a 1 year warranty; I also have not heard of any issues with the new flexed design cracking.