Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 06:26 PM
FLY BY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Exhaust

I had my custom exhaust installed in preparation for future forced induction. I had it installed in San Antonio, Texas. They built it completely. It is a true dual exhaust with an H-pipe and 2.5 inch tubing throughout. It uses Magnaflow round mufflers, also. I sent the "blueprints" so to speak to them and they built it exactly to my spec and design using the parts I requested. This is largely a budget minded answer to the insane priced exhausts out there for the Z. Combined with LSDUnique's test pipes it is disgustingly loud and I will be putting the cats back in ASAP. This is not to take away from the cat pipes though, they make great power. This is just to crazy loud not to have the cats in. They go in tomorrow. I am well aware that this setup is too big for naturally aspirated applications, but FI is in the forseeable future and this is a planned mod. Pics are in the link and no cat/with cat video clips will be made ASAP. Without further ado, the pics.

Ahh screw it. Pics are below.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 09-29-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Ultimateone

sites down...
Old 09-28-2003, 06:31 PM
FLY BY Z

now it works.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 09-28-2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:36 PM
little_rod

Well, the site works for me, but none of the pictures work. Have red xs for all of the pictures.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:11 PM
FLY BY Z

Ok it works now. I figured it out. More of a beating than I thought it would be.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:30 PM
lsdunique

Potato,

you might try having them weld in some in-line resonators into your exhaust. Just seems like it might be a waste of HP to put the factory cats back in just to suppress sound. Resonators can be found for as little as $35 each. I am sure one on each pipe back would do the trick. PM if you want some info on where to get.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:39 PM
FLY BY Z

Oh wait until you here the vids in a couple days. I am not sure that resonators will help much. The exhaust is basically straight pipes all the way back. Those magnaflows don't do much quieting. It is grossly loud. Tisha in San Antonio can attest to that!! And so can some guy in a red Z with a Nismo wing and Injen exhaust that was driving on Macarthur Blvd. Sunday evening around 6:45 or 7 PM. It's embarrasing! Just let me clarify one thing, LSD's test pipes still rock and I support them 100 %. I just installed an exhaust that is somewhat over the top and flows more air than any of the aftermarket exhaust out there. Don't take this thread as judgement on test pipes. It is more judgement on this exahust. Just this specific exhaust and test pipes don't mix. Although knowing some of your opinions maybe some of you will like the way it sounds. Gotta wait for the vids.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 09-28-2003 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:32 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the link mister potato head
Old 09-29-2003, 07:37 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on which route you go... FI will determine the future of this exhaust.

If you turbo, the turbines themselves will act like natural "mufflers" - so you could get away with what you have. If you choose to SC you might want to pursue resonators and cats.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Tisha

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
It is grossly loud. Tisha in San Antonio can attest to that!!

YEP!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Custom Exhaust

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
I had my custom exhaust installed in preparation for future forced induction. It is a true dual exhaust with an H-pipe and 2.5 inch tubing throughout. It uses Magnaflow round mufflers, also. I am well aware that this setup is too big for naturally aspirated applications, but FI is in the forseeable future and this is a planned mod.
Thank for for doing your post.

2.5" true duals aren't to big to run naturally aspirated for these cars. Just design it right and use the tricks of the trade. Proof is provided for us by stillen, only a smidge behind the borla true dual on HP and allot more torque. Their true dual uses 2.5" piping. They make it work by using a very effecient X pipe, that does a much better job of promoting exhaust gas volocity. X crossovers also equalize pressure difference's between the pipes just like H pipes do.

To that end, I'm pretty much doing the same true dual thing you've done. But I'm using one of those Acosta Racing Y-pipes with built in high flow Magnaflow cat pipes, it use's 2.5" pipes as will the entire system. I've removed the Y as it really stunk anyhow and I'm copying Stillen's X pipe design. Then I'll run into 2 18" or 22" Magnaflow 4" round mufflers acting as my resonators. For my muffler(s) I plan on using either 2 Magnaflow 6" by 14" stainless mufflers or 2 Thermal Research mufflers of the same demensions.

So needless to say, I realize that my use of the 18" or 22" 4" muffler's as resonators, before the 6" mufflers should quite my mufflers down considerably vs your setup, but I'm REALLY curious to know the demension's of the Magnaflow round mufflers you used. And I really want to know how much of a differance reinstalling the cats made.

PS, the pics at your site show red X's for me
Old 09-29-2003, 02:11 PM
FLY BY Z

For some reason the pics work and then later they stop working. I am trying to fix this. Then you can see all the dimensions and whatnot. Sorry. I don't know what is wrong.

I guess it works now. Can anyone who knows about websites help me out?

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 09-29-2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:33 PM
FLY BY Z

Test Pipes
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust-ztestpipe.jpg  
Old 09-29-2003, 07:34 PM
FLY BY Z

Front Section
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust-zfrontexhaust.jpg  
Old 09-29-2003, 07:35 PM
FLY BY Z

"Mufflers"
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust-zmagmuffler.jpg  
Old 09-29-2003, 07:35 PM
FLY BY Z

Rear Section
Attached Thumbnails Custom Exhaust-zrearexhaust.jpg  
Old 09-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, now that I can finally see the pics, I can see you used 4" by 14" mufflers. Given their demensions and where you choose to place the mufflers, I understand why it's so loud. I think a better location for the muffler would be exactly where the Injen SES system places them. That would of allowed you to run a larger diameter muffler to. Man the squished the heck out of the left pipe to clear the rear sway bar, yikes. You lost allot of flow with all the crimp bends and the number of bends too. I know you wanted to do this on a budget, but. Did you price a shop that could have done mandrel bends? I couldn't find shop that could, so I've ordered all my bends pre bent. I still want to know how much the noise drops when the cat pipe go back on.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Phatmitzu

Looks nice. But you should of went with the mandrel bend pipes instead of press bend pipes if you are planning on going FI. It does makes a difference.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:22 PM
FLY BY Z

I'll have some vids up soon with and without cats. Also, I paid 300 dollars for the whole thing cut, welded, installed. Also, I know that it isn't mandrel bent but given the diameter of the pipe I didn't mind. Especially at the price it was. Also, 2.5 inch duals have more flow area than a 5 inch pipe. It is big enough to suck up the crimp bends. Also, it isn't as bad as it looks over the sway. It is flat on that bottom side so it looks really small. It's just perspective. Vids soon.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:55 PM
FLY BY Z

Ok vid is up. Enjoy. Please right click, save as. In the garage scene with no cats I only rev it to about 2500 RPM. If I go redline it is nutty loud.

Potato Head's 350Z Exhaust (Cheap Custom)

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 10-01-2003 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust