Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Dyno results - MD MREV2 and 5/16th spacer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyno results - MD MREV2 and 5/16th spacer

I got a comparison dyno today and the results are below.
2006 MT Coupe
33k miles
Stock except for the MREV2 and 5/16th spacer installed two days ago.
Dynapack Dyno
The two dyno runs were 1 week apart, weather conditions were similar.

Here is the comparison. The bold line are the runs with the MREV2 and spacer and the light line is the baseline. Don't look at the absolute numbers as they are way too high, but look at the difference.

It appears to me that I've lost at both the high and low end, and gained in the middle.

Another view:
Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Its good to see posting test results.

The ECU spark timing looks like its moved back since your baseline. It could be as simple as different gasoline being used.
Its pretty normal for the ECU to change its performance maps from day to day. You could go back to the dyno tomorrow and see significant performance shifts even if nothing is done to the car.

Comparative tests are best when done back to back. Preferably without removing the car from the dyno.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 10-05-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Its good to see posting test results.

The ECU spark timing looks like its moved back since your baseline. It could be as simple as different gasoline being used.
Its pretty normal for the ECU to change its performance maps from day to day. You could go back to the dyno tomorrow and see significant performance shifts even if nothing is done to the car.

Comparative tests are best when done back to back. Preferably without removing the car from the dyno.
All very good points. That is why I made sure that I mentioned that the dyno's were done a week apart. Here are some other possible factors...

I tried to do the ECU reset procedure (another example of good Motordyne instructions). I'm not sure that I was successful. If I was, then the car would not have had time to adapt to do any relearning.

If I was unsuccessful, I did an Auto-x practice day on Friday then did the install on Saturday. In the course of the practice day I got in about 100 runs. I'm sure the car has never been driven that hard for that long. The practice courses were fast and in several sections I was hitting the rev-limiter consistently.

I had to fill up with a different brand gas (I use an entire tank during the practice) than I normally use. It has the same octane rating, but it was Chevron instead of Union 76.

I'm guessing that both of those factors could affect ECU timing?

So, while my dyno is interesting to me, it really can't be used as any kind of definitive measure of the effect of the MREV2 and spacer on the '06 engine. Frankly, I trust the dyno's that have been done where the modifications have been made while the car sits on the dyno. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or facility to do it.

Bottom line, my dyno examples should be used "for entertainment purposes only"
Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What you have done is a clear benefit to the community. Even is not "ideal" its much better than the usual butt dyno speculation. As an end user spending his own $$$ to do dynos and post them, its a good thing. And quite RARE.

Sometimes even when you own a dyno (as I do) there still are situations where it must be done like you did.

Sometimes its the only practical option.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 AM
tcb_05G_6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any chance you might re-post the actual results/pictures. The graphs don't show up anymore...