Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

My DIY Intake induction box w/ pics....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My DIY Intake induction box w/ pics....

So after i got my Seibon TS, i noticed one of the hood vents was right over my open filter popcharger....so i began to worry about hydrolocking of course, despite everybody saying its not a problem with these hoods.

So to ease my mind on this, i wanted to somehow cover the top portion of the intake just as the Arc induction box, Stillen, and K&N do. But, i didnt want to buy any of these just for the box.

So i bought an aluminum sheet and some duckbill snips ($30) Completed work in about 2-3 hours. Its not the most killer looking box, but it is very functional and i think it came out much better than i thought it would, seeing as how i have NO history working with metal sheets or anything.

Knocks out 2 birds with one stone....no more heat soak and no worries about water hitting the JWT. In future, i will somehow polish piece and take off popcharger sheild and fully enclose the box all around.

If any of you guys show any interest in making one, let me know and ill write up a DIY sometime shortly. Def a function over form piece, though.

....ya i know the god damn bay is filthy....getting on that soon.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 10-16-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

looks good
Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good and would recommend a light wet-sanding to get the piece looking cleaner.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Is the box sealed on the back side of the filter (near the maf inlet)?
I am looking for a way to seal off the backside. I basically made a soft box out of thick pipe insulation and blocked it partially on the rear.

Pic:

You can't really see the rear, but it "nearly" closed in.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:01 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I am looking for a way to seal off the backside. I basically made a soft box out of thick pipe insulation and blocked it partially on the rear.

Pic:

Na, not yet.

My plan is to close it off fully and clean it up a bit to look more pro.

Basically, i follow same guidlines for top and make a cardboard replica to go by first. Will take off MAF and measure, make a hole in wall accordingly, and use nice hex bolts to bolt up to top peice.

Ill update when finished with all of this, but covering my top was main concern for now.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by waizzz
Looks good and would recommend a light wet-sanding to get the piece looking cleaner.

Thanks

You think that will get rid of all the scratches, scuffs and all that?

If so, im on it.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:08 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i'll try this out.. i may have a bit more sheet metal left from my underpanel project
Old 10-16-2009, 11:09 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz

Pic:

What is up with the aluminum foil in the intake hole?
Old 10-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Dark8lue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do people put tin foil around there intake hole? I've seen this done before, I can't really see any justice coming from this. (5-10hp lol)
Old 10-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Dark8lue

Nice creativity though.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:24 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

lulz at the aluminum foil
Old 10-17-2009, 07:39 AM
johndoesdamage

A lot of people did it my bmw forums especially on the k&n intake. I remember reading that it allowed intake to not get as hot so i went ahead and tried it. Its $20 bucks for a huge roll at home depot or lowes made by frost king its like 1/4 inch foam with aluminum on the other side and sticky on the back side. what i did was grab a thermometer and drove hard on the car then got temp from the inside of heat shield and then after install of the insulation it was like 15 degrees cooler. It looks tacky but i live in Las Vegas so heat is definately a problem here. Just thought i would share. Btw could you post measurements on your heat shield i really like the idea

Last edited by johndoesdamage; 10-17-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Heat shield
Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by viva la spam
lulz at the aluminum foil
6-9c drop in static traffic. When running at 60mph.......the car typically runs 1c degree above outside temp (sometimes even at outside temp). Seems to work.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by johndoesdamage
A lot of people did it my bmw forums especially on the k&n intake. I remember reading that it allowed intake to not get as hot so i went ahead and tried it. Its $20 bucks for a huge roll at home depot or lowes made by frost king its like 1/4 inch foam with aluminum on the other side and sticky on the back side. what i did was grab a thermometer and drove hard on the car then got temp from the inside of heat shield and then after install of the insulation it was like 15 degrees cooler. It looks tacky but i live in Las Vegas so heat is definately a problem here. Just thought i would share. Btw could you post measurements on your heat shield i really like the idea

Sure thing, at work right now but when i get a chance today or tomorrow ill post up more pics of the template i used with a ruler by all ends so you can see measurements.

Ill also show you where to bend and how much bend certain pieces.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:42 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

i gotta apologize, hope i didn't offend anyone. i just never seen that done before. makes perfect sense now that you guys explained it. another cheap way to drop the temp of your car is by using the redline water wetter from autozone. its proven to drop the temp 15 degrees! what it does it helps eliminate the air bubbles in your coolant, allowing more space for antifreeze. not sure how exactly the wetter changes the viscosity but it works. the guys who did my bolt-on showed me the readings.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Dark8lue
Why do people put tin foil around there intake hole? I've seen this done before, I can't really see any justice coming from this. (5-10hp lol)
I just did it too seal it off from the radiator, etc. Does it help..............maybe. Overall I have about 85% of it sealed off from the rest of the engine bay. I wanted to keep the air coming in from the duct in vicinity of the filter. Most of the heat related to increasing AIT's is from the drivers side of the motor and exhaust manifold. Even a 20% reduction in that heat has too help. Like I said I have seen 6-9c degree drop in AIT's in static traffic (same outside temp).
Old 10-17-2009, 10:00 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice filter cover!

on a side note, you have to submerse the filter completely in water to hydrolock the motor. A little bit of rain on it isn't going to hurt.

And the aluminum foil. You might have a 15 degree drop in static air temp but air moving through that tube isn't staying there long enough to absorb heat from that small piece of composite. if you were that worried about intake temps you need to wrap the entire intake tubes and relocate the filter outside of the engine bay. even then the hp gain is negligible at best.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:04 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by binder
Nice filter cover!

on a side note, you have to submerse the filter completely in water to hydrolock the motor. A little bit of rain on it isn't going to hurt.

And the aluminum foil. You might have a 15 degree drop in static air temp but air moving through that tube isn't staying there long enough to absorb heat from that small piece of composite. if you were that worried about intake temps you need to wrap the entire intake tubes and relocate the filter outside of the engine bay. even then the hp gain is negligible at best.
I'm aware of the time it spends in the tube.........my premise was to drop intake temps while static. The initial high temps causes the car to bog off the line. I run my car over 150 passes a year, and this helps to keep the initial soak from hindering my launches. It works. Personally I don't give two ***** how it looks or the opinion of others. I just wanted to share. Also, it isn't aluminum foil.....it is almost 1/4" thick pipe insulation. It just has a reflective surface.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 10-17-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Nismo Z 33

well i like your creativity in keeping the filter suspended by zip-tying the intake to your strut bar!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:09 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Nismo Z 33
well i like your creativity in keeping the filter suspended by zip-tying the intake to your strut bar!!!
The samco intake tube has no way to use the standard bolts to hold it upright. I use a metal 80mm maf housing and with the jwt it was flopping all over the place. Function over form my friend.

Quick Reply: My DIY Intake induction box w/ pics....