Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen exhaust V.S. Borla True Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 09:02 AM
LeighJr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey hold out till mid November after SEMA Injen will release their new Exaust with straight tips!!
Old 10-23-2003, 11:21 AM
zoom350

Default Injen Spitting Fire

Originally posted by quangquoclu
if you remove your cats with the injen, youll see it spit fire
If you remove the cats, what do you replace them with? Test Pipes? I hear alot of people talking about these. Where can i get them? TIA
Old 10-23-2003, 02:22 PM
kaminariZ

thanks for the info guys, ill wait till injen comes out with straight tips. i need that exhaust. its awesome. does anyone else know what kind of exhuast sounds good, and loud, and still gives u more HP?
Old 10-24-2003, 11:30 PM
cantcatchme22

I do not see how the Borla could possibly gain more horsepower than the Injen due to the design. As far as looks people say my injen looks much tougher than stock and sounds much better.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:19 AM
zzzya

The build quality of the Injen exhaust is head and shoulders above the Borla. The Borla almost requires welding the pieces together if you really want to make sure you have no leaks or connections making their way loose. Based on that alone I would not but the Borla. The Injen looks great (personal pref though), sounds great (again personal pref) , is a lighter design, built great and is priced very nicely for this kind of quality.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Sean00500

I agree, i was waitin for the injen with the straight tips just for the fact that i want to get a kit for my car, but i love the way it sounds, the only problem with it is that i was also interested in the greddy evo exhaust thas comin out for the Z, but i havent been able to find to much on it, and i want to still keep the dual tips opposed to a single (unless the single produces remarkable numbers). If anyone knows anything about it or has some advice on it i could use some, cuz for all i know it could be a piece of junk.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:59 AM
david borla

Originally posted by MGV156
I'm still not convinced that the Borla is a "true" dual exhaust system.
What questions can I answer to "convince" you?
Old 11-11-2003, 11:13 AM
cbsuper

I love my Injen exhaust and with the Borla headers and test pipes it sounds so much better than the previous Stillen exhaust I had. I don't know where people get off saying that it sounds like a fart can...have you guys heard any of the Hondas lately? My God the sounds coming out of those things are absolutely beyond reproach and to say that Injen sounds like that is blatant ignorance.

I do recommend getting the straight tips, however, because the exhaust has burned into my rear bumper and I have a permanent black burn on my rear bumper above the left canister. Sucks, but hey, it's the exhaust I wanted.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:28 PM
david borla

As you can see, we use an H-pipe rather than an X pipe. That's one of the reasons why our system performs as well as it does. I believe most of the others use an X-pipe which is constrictive and prevents them from being "true" dual. Scan the picture below and you'll see that the Borla exhaust for the Z (PN#140045) is in fact a "true" dual.
Attached Thumbnails Injen exhaust V.S. Borla True Exhaust-140045.gif  

Last edited by david borla; 11-11-2003 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:03 PM
MGV156

David,
I'd like to see a mid-section cutout of the muffler, not the piping. According to the diagram attached, it's just dual in/dual out. This design just eliminates the stock Y-Pipe in lieu of an H-pipe and increases the total pipe diameter of the stock by adding two pipes. I'd like to see the exhaust flow characteristics inside the muffler, that's all. I always thought that a "TRUE" dual exhaust system consisted of two independent exhaust plumbing for each engine bank.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:12 PM
david borla

David,
I'd like to see a mid-section cutout of the muffler, not the piping. According to the diagram attached, it's just dual in/dual out. This design just eliminates the stock Y-Pipe in lieu of an H-pipe and increases the total pipe diameter of the stock by adding two pipes. I'd like to see the exhaust flow characteristics inside the muffler, that's all. I always thought that a "TRUE" dual exhaust system consisted of two independent exhaust plumbing for each engine bank.
Oh I see, I have to cut one open so I can shoot it for you. Or, do you just want to see the flow results as you mentioned? Either way, the pipes stay independent of one another inside the muffler. In my opinion it's a very cool muffler design. We used only one muffler to save weight and to get the right sound. Our entire system including mufflers and resonators outflows even just the stock Y-pipe without the full stock system. Add the rest of the system and stock exhaust flows even less.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:31 PM
MGV156

Originally posted by david borla
Oh I see, I have to cut one open so I can shoot it for you. Or, do you just want to see the flow results as you mentioned? Either way, the pipes stay independent of one another inside the muffler. In my opinion it's a very cool muffler design. We used only one muffler to save weight and to get the right sound. Our entire system including mufflers and resonators outflows even just the stock Y-pipe without the full stock system. Add the rest of the system and stock exhaust flows even less.
It would help out if you can post a mid-section cutout of the muffler. That should answer my question, and probably others, if it is a true dual system.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:34 PM
MGV156

Bump
Old 11-12-2003, 03:56 PM
david borla

It would help out if you can post a mid-section cutout of the muffler. That should answer my question, and probably others, if it is a true dual system.
Will do. Give me a few days. Thanks for your interest.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:21 PM
spazpilot

If you are planning on going FI go with borla its a more free flow exhaust, if that made any sense.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:28 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Borla

Originally posted by david borla
Will do. Give me a few days. Thanks for your interest.
<bump>

I just put on the Borla. Let me tell you guys, the kit looks VERY well engineered (I am an engineer by trade, have been for 25 years). The walls of the parts are nice and thick and the joints slipped on nice and tight. The clamps provided were nice and beefy. Everything fit without any "convincing", heating, or prying.

I was wondering about the muffler. I am glad to hear that it is in fact 2 flow paths inside of the single casing. That is a clever design. I can see how that holds down cost & weight while maintaining a stock+ look.

David, did you ever post a sectional view or drawing of the internals of this part? Just curious.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:03 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Straight tips

Originally posted by LeighJr
Hey hold out till mid November after SEMA Injen will release their new Exaust with straight tips!!
According to the injen site, the straight tip SES exhaust system (part# SES1985C) will not be available until January 04

http://www.injen.com/super_ses.html

-Chrismcagle