Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Aem Intake Fouled Up Maf

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Ralphus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intake sounds like a waste of time on the 350z, all this trouble for like 1 horsepower, lol.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:09 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what I was trying to say, you need to be carefull about the amount of oil you soak the thing with. If anything, stay more "dry" than "dripping wet".

Amen on install the MAF yourself. It is a few screws. Make sure you don't put it on backwards (old TBird one had an arrow on it for flow direction).

I had not gotten a CAI, until last friday when an AEM showed up for sale, red (for my redline) for just $155 (new, including shipping). At that price, who can say no? :-) It should arrive any day now. I agree our Zs don't seem to need it much, but hey, it does look cool.

Konverter, I am a geek myself, so I don't find Bill that weird... :-) We geeks rule the world these days.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:50 PM
MGV156

Doesn't the AEM kit come w/ a bypass valve? Hmm....I could be wrong.

I had the Service Engine Soon light come on when I had my Injen CAI installed. I haven't seen it since I went back to stock w/ a K&N drop-in.

I would still try to put the stock intake back, buy a K&N drop-in ($45), and see if the light disappears. If it doesn't, take it to another dealer and have them pull the codes. If the result is a burnt MAFS, then you can have K&N pay for a replacement.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:46 PM
PropaGanda

slaponte
"I had not gotten a CAI, until last friday when an AEM showed up for sale, red (for my redline) for just $155 (new, including shipping). At that price, who can say no? :-) "

I see these for $115-$130 all the time. Still, $155 shipped is good.

Dom
"If you install an oil catch tank there shouldn't be any oil inside the piping or filter."

Correct me if I am wrong, but a catch can will not catch oil coming straight off of the filter. I don't see any way to stop this from happening if it comes off of the filter (the inside "filtered" portion of the filter) and goes straight into the intake tract. I also don't see how a little oil can cause a MAF to malfunction and be rendered useless. Oil and all kinds of microscopic particles pass by the filter throughout the life of the car and will inevitably coat the MAF sensor so how is it possible to ruin one? These things should be made a little better if they can't stand up to the abuse of every day driving.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:48 PM
PropaGanda

Nismo intakes have a "waterproof" bypass valve? Wow, I didn't know that. Almost makes it worth the money. Now I just need to fabricate some way to get more air to the CAI filter.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:58 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get the bypass for the std AEM if you want it as well - can't use it with a FI car, just NA
Old 10-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Import-Tooner

The only problem with putting your stock intake on and going to another dealer is that they may have documented it with your vin# or something. I don't know for sure if they do that but I think that they would just to cover their butts. If you do decide to go that way, try to clean your mass air flow sensor. It may help for the warranty issue.
As far as throwing codes and such with cai's, you need to let your computer re-learn everything after mods. Just do the battery disconnect thing and then try it.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:01 PM
KONVERTER

k&n drop in filters can and will do the same thing...

when oiling the filter... the oil is VERY SLICK and RUNNY... I left my filter from my old car out side for 24 hours and it was still a little drippy...

i was going to say try putting the stock intake back on and taking it in...

any way if you can and know that your dealer isnt mod friendly put the stock intake box back on... because the minute some dealerships see an intake they freak... exaust is fine because its all after the engine... but intakes can let forighn objects into the engine... like oil that burns out sensors...

im a huuuuuge computer dork... and i am dorky looking...

south park season starts tonight! yay!!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:09 PM
havabooz

im sorry if this is a little off topic...but heres my deal

i was offered the injen ses and injen cai for 600 (both used a bit)

the price is the same whether or not i want the CAI

so i thought of course im gonna put it in

would you guys say otherwise??...bbasically its just an asthetic mod that causes problems??
Old 10-22-2003, 08:24 PM
KONVERTER

put it in.. but put the MAF back on UPSIDE DOWN... under the pipe rather then above...
Old 10-22-2003, 08:24 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by KONVERTER

south park season starts tonight! yay!!
Kick a$$!!!

Regarding the CAI- do a serach there was a guy that dyno'd Injen, AEM and stock airbox in the same dyno session.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:13 PM
havabooz

failsafe...have you had any probs with your cai exhaust combo..im going with the same one
Old 10-22-2003, 10:14 PM
havabooz

konverter...i think ppl have put it upside down by mistake and it hasnt done any good either
Old 10-22-2003, 10:22 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by havabooz
failsafe...have you had any probs with your cai exhaust combo..im going with the same one
No problems at all.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Dom

Default missed that

Dom
"If you install an oil catch tank there shouldn't be any oil inside the piping or filter."

Correct me if I am wrong, but a catch can will not catch oil coming straight off of the filter. I don't see any way to stop this from happening if it comes off of the filter (the inside "filtered" portion of the filter) and goes straight into the intake tract. I also don't see how a little oil can cause a MAF to malfunction and be rendered useless. Oil and all kinds of microscopic particles pass by the filter throughout the life of the car and will inevitably coat the MAF sensor so how is it possible to ruin one? These things should be made a little better if they can't stand up to the abuse of every day driving. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oops, maybe I should read more engaged.
It was the oil coming from the filter? How come the filter was so much oiled?
I can't imagine the malfunction comes from that little oil.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:33 AM
vfr350

on older MAF you could clean them with contact cleaner, not sure if this would work on our MAF, We need a tech's opinion on this. I have changed out my stock filter for a true-flow oiled-foam filter and have yet to see oil tranfer in the intake track. Sound like the CAI filters should be blotted before install to remove excess oil.
My $0.02.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:45 AM
peptidbond

Here is my method for cleaning the filter. I never have excess oil

1. Remove filter, wash, blah, blah, blah.
2. Set filter aside to dry wrapped and stuffed with paper towels.
3. Change towels as needed to dry ones and let the filter dry further
4. Once the filter is only slightly damp, oil the outside lightly and stuff the inside with dry paper towels.
5. The oil will drive the remaining water into the towels. Check the oil coverage and only re-oil where needed.
6. Leave the towels in the filter over night and install in the morning.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:59 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

but this guys filter was brand new - comes preoiled from AEM.

Again AEM=NISMO USA - obviously your dealer does not know this, or chooses to ignore it.

if you make enough noise, I would be very surprised to hear they did not take care of it for you.....

good post propaganda - the motor sucks in some ugly stuff, and given the amount of Z's on this board with intakes (many with AEM), this is the first failure I have heard of.

I run a K&N as part of my Gruppe M intake sysrtem (it comes with it) - not one problem after nearly 3 weeks.

If all else fails, call AEM and ***** and moan...
Old 10-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Sean00500

In all honesty, y not just buy the nismo type r CAI, the CO that makes nissans aftermarket products made the CAI, it has the waterfilter on it, not to much the dealer is gonna say about it, and i have had mine for almost 1K miles and i havnt had on prob what so ever.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Dissolved

Dripping oil? This is the first I have heard about this. Ran a popcharger on my other Z for years with no problems. Follow peptibonds advice and stop using so much oil

Quick Reply: Aem Intake Fouled Up Maf