Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART pipes)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:29 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right, but there isn't much to be had in the headers, that (along with time and inconvenience) is why most people don't replace the headers.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah true. Only remaining item of interest was why Z1 typically sees about 10 more whp on DE's with headers. I plan to run a set of cams in the future so I'm sure the headers will help at that point
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM
RENFRO

Tony, could you shine any light on the possibility of the ART pipes causing some type of flow issue creating a "pressure bubble" when paired with a set of headers?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

You'll need to call him, but i'd say highly unlikely.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 AM
RENFRO

Following up with my results. I have, in fact, made more power on my setup with test pipes. Yesterday I performed a before and after dyno (post tuning both times; so ART pipes tuned vs Test Pipes tuned) of a set of V3 ART pipes vs non-resonated test pipes. Same day, same dyno. Only variable was swapping out the ART pipes.

My setup:

03 DE
06 Airbox w/K&N
Z1 intake tube
Port & Polish OEM plenum
Z1 plenum spacer
Momentum Performance headers
ART Pipes/Test pipes (Only item changed for testing)
Motordyne XYZ w/resonator
Momentum Performance Dual

Here is the result. More HP and Torque throughout with Test Pipes.

Name:  1278402_711330608883638_1013490803_n.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  72.4 KB

This is certainly only my INDEPENDENT results for my specific car. I have a very unique exhaust and intake setup. We did our best to eliminate any other variable by doing the swap same day. The car had already been previously tuned with the ART pipe setup, so we didn't do as many pulls, just did some minor tweaking. Did the test pipe swap and tuned them up.

I am not doubting the results others have received, just reporting my results. I love the motordyne products. Just in my particular case, test pipes were the answer.

Last edited by RENFRO; 09-08-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:15 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Wow, thanks for posting, a very unexpected result, i'm wondering how it did that, i guess the only thing is the headers.

Out of interest, what was the diameter of the TP's Vs the ART? Also, volume between the two?
Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting results. Thanks for posting your findings, Renfro.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 AM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
Wow, thanks for posting, a very unexpected result, i'm wondering how it did that, i guess the only thing is the headers.

Out of interest, what was the diameter of the TP's Vs the ART? Also, volume between the two?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Our only guess was the header's extra flow causing some type of issue. I'd be interested to see this exact test done, but with OEM manifolds.

For the diameters, I'm really not positive but I want to say they're the same? Maybe a quarter inch difference. For volume, the test pipes are honestly not that much louder. The headers actually made the car quieter under cruising conditions (perhaps less turbulent airflow due to their design?), but at WOT they're louder, but not terribly. Also, the rasp difference isn't that noticeable since I have the resonator on my XYZ. The main difference was just the tone of the exhaust.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 PM
scmtkings4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just installed the art pipes on my tdx2 and it sounds alot deeper, more growl

however, ever since I put in my art pipes I hear some buzzing. I believe its coming from the passenger side underneath but I have no idea what it is. I'm not even too sure what rasp is exactly....

The bolt was trimmed on the driver side which may be why I'm not hearing anything strange. Is there anything on the passenger side that might be causing the slight metallicy/raspy sound?

I got out of my car and went to the ground to listen to it as my friend revved and when the revs dropped i hear a loud metallic buzzing. Very noticeable buzzing. I'll try to get some video footage of this sound up
Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 PM
alfhasg35

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
just installed the art pipes on my tdx2 and it sounds alot deeper, more growl

however, ever since I put in my art pipes I hear some buzzing. I believe its coming from the passenger side underneath but I have no idea what it is. I'm not even too sure what rasp is exactly....

The bolt was trimmed on the driver side which may be why I'm not hearing anything strange. Is there anything on the passenger side that might be causing the slight metallicy/raspy sound?

I got out of my car and went to the ground to listen to it as my friend revved and when the revs dropped i hear a loud metallic buzzing. Very noticeable buzzing. I'll try to get some video footage of this sound up
I had the same thing.. Could be packing inside the resonators rattling. I had mine replaced...
Old 09-14-2014, 08:15 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

You'll have contact with a heat shield, or just a loose heat shield, keep revving it whilst you're under there and hold things.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:12 AM
scmtkings4

also thought I should mention that I currently dont have that boomerang shaped brace that you're supposed to attached the art pipes to.

would this cause the metallic buzzing since there's nothing to keep the art pipes from vibrating too much? I ordered the part and should be able to put it on this weekend so I'm hoping it'll be better then.

Ok yeah I guess I'll check the heat shields themselves but it looked like it had quite a bit of clearance.

Another thing I'll probably check is clearance on the rest of the tdx2 exhaust. As I removed my hfc for the install maybe the rest of the exhaust sagged a bit and is now resting on that metal cross member underneath
Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,101 Likes on 6,557 Posts

since you didnt have the brace, make sure you didnt crack one of them..... i have a small buzz but i just ignore it. on the tdx2 mine was hitting on the M brace and what i did was get a strip of exhaust hanger rubber and put it between the muffler and the M brace...
Old 09-15-2014, 06:31 AM
scmtkings4

yeah I heard about the cracking issue without the brace but I literally but these on about 2 days ago and have only driven about 25 miles with them so I doubt its cracked. But yes hopefully after the brace is put on some of that buzzing will be reduced.

And yeah I believe the exhaust might be hitting the M brace as well. I checked and I'd say there's only about 1 mm of clearance there.

Originally Posted by travlee
since you didnt have the brace, make sure you didnt crack one of them..... i have a small buzz but i just ignore it. on the tdx2 mine was hitting on the M brace and what i did was get a strip of exhaust hanger rubber and put it between the muffler and the M brace...

Last edited by scmtkings4; 09-15-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,101 Likes on 6,557 Posts

oh i guarantee it is hitting the m brace, it does move some
Old 09-15-2014, 04:49 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Don't forget that all the adjustment is done from the ART pipe rotation for starters, and then the mid pipe rotation, that's how you clear it of the M brace.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:53 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good results on that dyno....

the ART pipes were designed and tuned with oem headers. im pretty sure changing that affects the results. maybe the ART would have to be redesigned to preform better with aftermarket headers.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:26 AM
scmtkings4

So I have the cat bracket installed so that gives me a little more peace of mind regarding the cracking issue.

However it hasn't helped with that sound I hear now. I think the best way to describe it would be "fluttering". I can hear it upon acceleration btwn 2500-3000 rpm. It is a distinct fluttering sound. Maybe that's just the way the new air flow sound is? Wish there was someone local to give it a listen
Old 09-20-2014, 01:00 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Have you felt underneath the mid pipes where they cross over the M brace?

That's where they'll hit, grab the exhaust there and tug it up and down a little to see if you get contact.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:45 PM
scmtkings4

I know the sound it makes when the exhats hits the M brace. It's more of a clunk sound. I've heard it before

This is a fluttering sound. Kinda like if there was a small puddle of water inside the pipes. Fluttering is the best word I can use to describe it. This sound wasn't there when I had HFC

Quick Reply: Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART pipes)