Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

motordyne XYZ-Pipe. I need a ? answered.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM
hellsoldiers08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motordyne XYZ-Pipe. I need a ? answered.

I understand that i could get flamed but i cant figure this out. Does there Y-pipe need the extension to mate with a cat back that is not theirs? Example do i need there straight pipe/resonator/high flow cat? Or can i just get the Y-pipe and be just fine?

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/images/zbottom.jpg

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r..._Acid/RSI1.jpg

i used theses pictures to try to figure it out. I want to say i have get the extension so that it can connect to my cat back...

So any help would be appreciated
Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM
plumpzz

The extension is just a swap out piece. You can replace it with a cat or a resonator which you can buy from MD. I suggest you buy the resonated YXZ pipe. It mellows out sounds.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 AM
hellsoldiers08

i know it is a extension. So im guessing i cant just get the y-pipe but i have to get a interchangeable piece so it will connect correctly.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct. If you want to use the XYZ like a Y-pipe, you will need one of the modules for it.
1) straight pipe
2) resonator
3) HFC
Old 03-08-2010, 12:16 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You cannot simply grab a pipe from one cat back exhaust and put it on another. Doesn't work that way.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
hellsoldiers08

lol no i know that DAvidV. I was reading that they y-pipe was short. right now i have test pipes and stock y-pipe and cat back exhaust from tanabe. just wanted to make sure when i order i have that pipe. Just debating now what i should get on the middle pipe.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 AM
bluezee

Get the resonator. A while back i did a dyno test of the xyz and exhaust. I also dynoed it with the resonator and straight pipe. The resonator lost like 1-2 horsepower and thats it. The exhaust is much more mellow with the resonator.

Bob
Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Thermal1

I have the resonated version too. I have had it for almost 2 years and I still love it.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:08 AM
anyjuan

I have both resonator and straight pipe. Not much difference in sound. I like the straight pipe better tho. I love my xyz-pipe. The quality is A+
Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anyjuan
I have both resonator and straight pipe. Not much difference in sound. I like the straight pipe better tho. I love my xyz-pipe. The quality is A+
What difference do you notice and what exhaust do you have it paired with?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 PM
anyjuan

My current set-up:

Stillen HFCs || Motordyne XYZ-Pipe (straight) || GReddy SE .......(Turboxs TPs & Resonator are in my closet just in case)

I got the xyz pipe to reduce the rasp my stock y-pipe had with test pipes/HFCs (I tried both)...

The resonator still had a tiny bit of rasp at WOT but it was too quiet for my taste. The straight pipe has a little more rasp but its deeper and worth the little rasp at WOT. I'm saving to get the whole shockwave v2 version. But until then, I'm thinking of getting a custom 3" mid-pipe to do away with the little rasp I have left.

I recommend you get both options. Its the beauty of going with motordyne products. If you don't want to be able to interchange parts on your exhaust, just go with another good quality y-pipe.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by anyjuan
My current set-up:

Stillen HFCs || Motordyne XYZ-Pipe (straight) || GReddy SE .......(Turboxs TPs & Resonator are in my closet just in case)

I got the xyz pipe to reduce the rasp my stock y-pipe had with test pipes/HFCs (I tried both)...

The resonator still had a tiny bit of rasp at WOT but it was too quiet for my taste. The straight pipe has a little more rasp but its deeper and worth the little rasp at WOT. I'm saving to get the whole shockwave v2 version. But until then, I'm thinking of getting a custom 3" mid-pipe to do away with the little rasp I have left.

I recommend you get both options. Its the beauty of going with motordyne products. If you don't want to be able to interchange parts on your exhaust, just go with another good quality y-pipe.

So the resonated xyz pipe did not eliminate rasp? Do you have any before and after clips?

I just installed a tanabe with hfc and hr-y-pipe and it is very loud. I need to mellow it out.