Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Long Tube Headers Idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 06:51 AM
jeffw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Tube Headers Idea

Here’s an idea for a modification to the Crawford headers. I don’t want to imply that there is anything wrong with the current design or that they can even be improved upon. This is just for fun.

Here’s the list of changes (see pic below):

1.) Make the headers even longer.
2.) Add a true merge collector. These are supposed to help fatten the torque curve by speeding up exhaust flow via a vortex. Something akin to a velocity stack on an intake.
3.) Maintain the ability to add/remove high-flow cats.

And I’ll go ahead and criticize my proposed changes.

1.) At some point making the headers longer won’t help the car (add too much weight, etc.). I imagine there is some ideal tube length for our engine. What that length is, I don’t know.
2.) If you make the headers longer then maintaining the Crawford pretzel bends might not be as important. A manufacturer could probably save some money by having less fancy bends (something like Xerd’s).
3.) I’ve never seen a merge collector for a bank of 3 cylinders. Maybe 3 cylinder merge collectors don’t work that well?
4.) The cats will be further back than stock. However, since most people are not throwing the check engine light with test pipes I doubt this will be much of a problem other than needing O2 sensor extension cords. There might not be room to fit the cats that far back though.
5.) To fit a megaphone style merge collector, the cats would probably end past where the stock cats normally end. This would require hacking your y-pipe or Borla exhaust to accept the new end point.

One other thing that would be cool would be to have stock looking heat shields that hide the fact that you have long tube headers. That would help pass visual inspection.

And finally, the pic:
Attached Thumbnails Long Tube Headers Idea-header_idea.jpg  
Old 10-29-2003, 06:53 AM
jeffw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, the pic is obviously a derivative of a picture that is copyrighted by Crawford.
--
Jeff
Old 10-29-2003, 07:07 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait for our graphs. I think you will be happy with the TQ and low down power.

Cool Chop!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:38 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... photoshoppers!!! My kinda peeps!

The major point for Dougs was not to force a customer to HAVE to buy high-flow cats to buy his headers.

Each components is a DIRECT replacement.

Make sense?