Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Removed Stillen Headers - Before/After Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010 | 06:09 AM
BakaN20

Don't put them back, I might have to pick them up from you, lol.
Old 04-10-2010 | 05:19 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by beddow
Wow, the Stillen headers, made some real good gains pretty much all through the curve, nice. You need to bite the bullet and put them back on.

Are you starting to see the "not feasable" in your particular case here? The only thing special about the art pipes is how much they cost, and the sound control, O and they shine a lot, wow!

Stillen seems to have some good exhaust products for the DE. Their exhaust made the most HP in a comparison, and to see their headers make decent gains, I'm glad I at least have Stillens test pipes & Y-pipe. I have read in the past the Stillen headers lost TQ, HP, is this due to the tune needing to be addressed do you think?

Thanks for the info, and the burn.
This has almost nothing to do with the ART Pipes. Furthermore, the data presented, given that the car was tuned to the headers, this dyno was in a different gear, and that the environmental changes were different as well, the results are anything but conclusive - something I already said earlier. Please do not drag more of your Motordyne bashing in here. My patience for your routine evaporated in the other thread.

Since I did no before-after dynos for the Stillen headers and had an e-tune prior to my dyno tuning session with Uprev, I do not know how much the gains depended upon the tune and how much just came with the installation.
Old 04-10-2010 | 05:26 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by BakaN20
Don't put them back, I might have to pick them up from you, lol.
Man, I don't think I even have the stomach to put them back on. That, and I really don't like the rasp that they produced with my Stillen exhaust. So I'd probably need a new exhaust to even come close to reinstalling them. For now, at least, I intend to sell them (the classifieds ad should be up early next week). So feel free to come pick them up from me then
Old 04-11-2010 | 02:29 AM
screener
Banned

Last edited by screener; 05-30-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2010 | 06:21 AM
Wu-Watt

I cant believe you took the headers off. I know your probably kicking yourself so I'm going to keep my opinions to myself. Well the negative ones anyway. To make up for this blunder, you should grab a used Greddy TT kit. I've heard that turbo's are guaranteed power! Lol Or a s/c kit... Those too...
Please explain how you lost 20whp? You were driving one day and the car just suddenly lost power?
Have you been using drugs? LOL

Last edited by Wu-Watt; 04-11-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2010 | 07:38 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by onagao
Man, I don't think I even have the stomach to put them back on. That, and I really don't like the rasp that they produced with my Stillen exhaust. So I'd probably need a new exhaust to even come close to reinstalling them. For now, at least, I intend to sell them (the classifieds ad should be up early next week). So feel free to come pick them up from me then
The terrible rasp!!! I has some rasp with a HR with the Stillen headers, Berk HFC and Stillen true dual exhaust. My rasp was limited to just a little in the 4000 rpm range. If I didn't stay there, I basically had no rasp. Was your rasp all over the full RPM range??? BTW - I loved my set up. Great gains on the dyno and on my "butt dyno"! G/L on finding your problem.
Old 04-11-2010 | 07:56 AM
onagao

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
I cant believe you took the headers off. I know your probably kicking yourself so I'm going to keep my opinions to myself. Well the negative ones anyway. To make up for this blunder, you should grab a used Greddy TT kit. I've heard that turbo's are guaranteed power! Lol Or a s/c kit... Those too...
Please explain how you lost 20whp? You were driving one day and the car just suddenly lost power?
Have you been using drugs? LOL
I'd you could tell me how I lost power, I'd pay you good money. here's the breakdown:

- Dyno tuned my car at Uprev in Austin last year. The mods at the time were JWT Popcharger, 5/16 Spacer, Mrev2, Stillen HFCs, Stillen Exhaust. Put down 270.66whp.

- Swapped the Popcharger for a K&N Drop in filter.

- Installed these Stillen headers.

- Removed Stillen HFCs, installed Motordyne ART Pipes and tested before/after. Gained 8-9whp.

- Retuned my car back at Uprev in Austin. Same conditions, same dyno. Maxed out with 267whp.

After testing accounting for what I thought was everything else, I assumed I had lost about 9-12whp from the headers. Obviously, now, that was incorrect. So considering that I gained 10whp from the headers and 8-9whp from the ART Pipes, and I was still 3-4whp down from before either... that means I lost over 20whp somewhere. Where? I have no idea.
Old 04-11-2010 | 08:14 AM
onagao

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
The terrible rasp!!! I has some rasp with a HR with the Stillen headers, Berk HFC and Stillen true dual exhaust. My rasp was limited to just a little in the 4000 rpm range. If I didn't stay there, I basically had no rasp. Was your rasp all over the full RPM range??? BTW - I loved my set up. Great gains on the dyno and on my "butt dyno"! G/L on finding your problem.
It's definitely rasp coming from the exhaust, then. With the headers and HFCs, mine would kick in at about 3300rpm and stay all the way to redline. It was like an on-off switch. With the ART Pipes instead of HFCs, it was there, but not as prominent, and really not noticeable after 4000rpm. Up to 3300, it sounded amazing, and after 4000, it just screamed. In between? Pretty awful. It seems that the Stillen exhaust is just really prone to developing raspiness with other exhaust mods, which is disappointing. I'm much happier with the sound now, though, but I'm looking for a good excuse to get a new exhaust.

And thanks, I hope I find the problem, too. It's really, really bothering me.

Last edited by onagao; 04-11-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2010 | 08:24 AM
Wu-Watt

I'd have to see all the dyno's.. So your curve changed to 20whp all the way across? Or just at one point in the curve. Different parts work differently with others. You shoulda tried the JWT on/off maybe.
Old 04-11-2010 | 08:48 AM
onagao

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
I'd have to see all the dyno's.. So your curve changed to 20whp all the way across? Or just at one point in the curve. Different parts work differently with others. You shoulda tried the JWT on/off maybe.
Well, I don't have a dyno that would show a 20whp difference (the before/after tests were performed on a local dyno here in Tulsa). And you're right about parts working differently with each other, but I haven't seen anything this extreme before. The header gains, as you can see from that graph, mainly affected the top end. the ART pipes were all the way across. Part of me really wishes I had tested the JWT, too. But the rest of me thinks I wouldn't see anything surprising there.

Compression test performed, O2 sensor swap/test, spark plugs replaced, oil changed... and now I'm running some inector cleaner through my tank. I want to burn this gremlin alive.
Old 04-11-2010 | 08:56 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by beddow
You're something else, 1/3 of my post is about Tony's unmagical art pipes and thats all you basicly repy about. Now more blah blah blah.
Oh, Beddow. Always talking sh*t. The ART Pipes made the biggest difference of any mod I've ever had. Stop hating and gtfo out of these threads.
Old 04-11-2010 | 09:23 AM
Wu-Watt

Maybe you shoulda tuned after the art pipes?
Old 04-11-2010 | 02:30 PM
screener
Banned

Last edited by screener; 05-30-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2010 | 05:45 PM
onagao

Beddow, seriously. Shut up. You have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread except abrasive, derogatory, and inflammatory remarks that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand. I am sick of you hijacking threads with your endless stream of irritating and baseless negativity. And now you're challenging other members to street races? Really? Stop trolling and grow up.

Last edited by onagao; 04-11-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2010 | 08:06 PM
SniperHunter

Seriously. The guy (kid?) is an absolute joke.
Old 04-12-2010 | 02:33 AM
screener
Banned

Last edited by screener; 05-30-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2010 | 06:38 AM
onagao

OMFG.
Old 04-12-2010 | 06:52 AM
VO...
Administrator

Bring it down a notch fellas...

VO
Old 04-12-2010 | 09:38 AM
o2sys

Arnold you put the on already???
Old 04-12-2010 | 09:54 AM
gabe3d

Onagao, can you overlay these two runs with your previous two runs you have on your ART pipe review thread? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Removed Stillen Headers - Before/After Dyno