Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Short Ram Intake: IMPORT TUNER

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM
jace350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rich2342
Cai intakes are said to suffer losses due to increased piping length and reduced suction due to that.
I agree. I was running the fujita CAI on my 07. I got rid of it and went back to stock. Retuned last week and gained 7.7 tq/12.4hp. The piping was to big causing mid rpm power loss. The only thing that I would change is the stock rubber intake hoses. A hose with no ripples.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:35 PM
jace350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by jace350z; 05-11-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by jace350z
I agree. I was running the fujita CAI on my 07. I got rid of it and went back to stock. Retuned last week and gained 7.7 tq/12.4hp. The piping was to big causing mid rpm power loss. The only thing that I would change is the stock rubber intake hoses. A hose with no ripples.
Cobb makes a nice one, its on my list of things to buy.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Please explain these dynamics?

Are you referring to the fact that they are suggesting that the literal airflow around the MAF is whats throwing it off? So basically, where fluid dynamics are involved, lets pretend that the filter element is causing the bulk of the faster air to flow on the upper portion of the pipe where the MAF is located. The MAF reads this as a consistency throughout the entire pipe, when in fact, the bottom portion of the pipe has much less and slower air flowing through it as compaired to the top. Is this correct?

So if this is their argument, then "uneven" airflow, by itself and intake temps aside, throughout the pipe causes such a drastic change by the ECU in A/F ratio that it could possibly be negating a 10WHP difference?!

Somehow that is incredibly hard to believe. I understand flow dynamics play a huge role in the exhaust system, such as they effect scavenging, but i fail to see a similar role played by flow dynamics in the intake system.

I understand that the flow dynamics are important in intake systems, but 10WHP important? Really??
I'm several years removed from my mechanical engineering degree (I don't get much time to apply it in law school), so please bear with me as I speak in general terms. Consider it this way: the flow profile of the air that is exiting the filter and entering the intake tube is uneven. It can have portions of higher velocity - particularly in the middle (picture a cone that represents the velocity of the air). This higher velocity air does not represent the average velocity by any means. However, this high-velocity air is what is being read by the MAF, which is applying that value to the whole of the air being sucked in. So the ECU then thinks that there is more air traveling faster than it would be otherwise. This leads to a richer condition, as the engine adds more fuel to compensate for all the air that it thinks is coming in which actually isn't.

Now the stock airbox doesn't present this problem due to the design of the filter and its inherent effects on the flow profile (picture not a cone, but more of a flat wall representing the velocity of the air). Because it doesn't have this problem, the ECU ends up reading it correctly and doesn't make the same mistake that it can with other short ram intake filters. The CAI, because of the additional tubing, allows the flow profile to settle down and is subsequently read by the MAF/ECU correctly.

Now is it 10whp? I wouldn't guess so, but the data seems to suggest that it is. Also remember that the dyno data for short ram intakes are inherently skewed to show more horsepower - how often do you drive with your hood open and the filter sucking in all that fresh air? So I wouldn't assume 10whp, but I've seen stranger things happen for simpler reasons than this, so it's not entirely surprising.

Hopefully that answered your question.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:21 AM
viceversa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^if all of this is true then wouldn't it be safe to say a proper tune could correct the issue?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 AM
PikeZ_350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I <3 my Pop Charger
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

One big problem of that article was their definition of a velocity stack. What they count as one presents a big problem with me. The stack should be on the end of the maf opening like the stillen/JWT cone. But they don't use that style to test their theory about a v-stack possibly being a varible affecting the SRI's results. They use the generic type cone with some bastardization of a v-stack on the very end of the cone filter. Not the same thing.