Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Change the 05 z manafold from single to dual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
JamesYellowZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change the 05 z manafold from single to dual?

I was wondering should and if I could change the 05 z engine from a single input manafold to a dual input manafold? i was thinking of finding a junk yard and grabbing the dual manafold from a 07 or 08 motor and putting it on mine.

Another question would be if this would help me with power or gas?

I'm getting 22mpg with mostly highway and some city...not really stomping on it either. Everything is still stock. I change the airfilter every month since I put about 2-3k miles each month on it. I also get an oil change with synthetic oil.

thoughts?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:50 AM
snowboarder599

Originally Posted by JamesYellowZ
I was wondering should and if I could change the 05 z engine from a single input manafold to a dual input manafold? i was thinking of finding a junk yard and grabbing the dual manafold from a 07 or 08 motor and putting it on mine.

Another question would be if this would help me with power or gas?

I'm getting 22mpg with mostly highway and some city...not really stomping on it either. Everything is still stock. I change the airfilter every month since I put about 2-3k miles each month on it. I also get an oil change with synthetic oil.

thoughts?
If you want better gas mileage, get a cold air intake, a plenum spacer, and chip your car. I drove across country averaging 26mpg @ 90mph avg...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't really be beneficial even if it worked. Just get a plenum spacer and be done with it. Gas mileage improvement is a lost cause for the most part.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes you should. Since you have 2 intakes gas mileage will increase by 20 percent. This is theoretical of course based on standard barometric pressure at sea level. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by davidv; 07-14-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

That many miles a month, consider buying a gas saver beater car??

- K&N air filter and clean it often
- synthetic oil - Your already doing that..
- Air pressure in tires optimum.
- fuel filter - how old is it?
- spark plugs - ?
-
I would honestly say in DFW your actually already doing pretty good...........any better and you need a more efficient car....

-J
Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Your 05 manifold has one MAF sensor. The dual intake manifold has two MAF sensors. What do you plan on plugging up the second one to?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:19 PM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not practical. If you had a high power forced induction system that required more airflow it might be worthwhile to fab up a custom system but on a stock Z it's pretty pointless.

The 2nd MAF issue could be easily resolved with an Apexi AFC or similar device that would sum or average the two MAF signals to the ECU. But even at that it would not be a practical project.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
JamesYellowZ

@ GT-ROB - What is NO?

@ Snowboarder959 and DavidV- Do you know if they will just sink up? Wondering if the engines are different other than that.

@JasonZ-YA - I just put new Wheel and tires...I also have new pressure sensors which I can monitor the tire pressure...they look good. The Spark Plugs and Fuel Filter. Good Idea! Basic crap always overlooked. I currently have 44k miles and most of that was put on over the last 1.5 years.

@03ThreeFiftyZ - What do you mean the fail is strong? Sorry...I'm probably stupid when it comes to little sayings. I've been kept in a closet most of my life. My wife is slowly bringing my out over the past couple of years to a new world.

@Waizzz - man...I've been moving this question around because I keep getting kicked out of the forums for what I ask. The last modertaor told me to go to this forum. Dude, don't blame me. Just trying to get information that I hope is good before I have to resort to actually going to a Nissan dealership which will probably want to rip me off. Be happy that I have a Z and not some other vehicle. I'm your Z car brother now. Be happy :-)

@Bryan@z1 - what is MAF?

Thanks for the info guys...I hope I get answers to the above questions.

Last edited by JamesYellowZ; 07-14-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

@ GT-ROB - What is NO?

@ Snowboarder959 and DavidV- Do you know if they will just sink up? Wondering if the engines are different other than that.

@JasonZ-YA - I just put new Wheel and tires...I also have new pressure sensors which I can monitor the tire pressure...they look good. The Spark Plugs and Fuel Filter. Good Idea! Basic crap always overlooked. I currently have 44k miles and most of that was put on over the last 1.5 years.

@03ThreeFiftyZ - What do you mean the fail is strong? Sorry...I'm probably stupid when it comes to little sayings. I've been kept in a closet most of my life. My wife is slowly bringing my out over the past couple of years to a new world.

@Waizzz - man...I've been moving this question around because I keep getting kicked out of the forums for what I ask. The last modertaor told me to go to this forum. Dude, don't blame me. Just trying to get information that I hope is good before I have to resort to actually going to a Nissan dealership which will probably want to rip me off. Be happy that I have a Z and not some other vehicle. I'm your Z car brother now. Be happy :-)

@Bryan@z1 - what is MAF?

I added a bit of sarcasm.

Look at the back of the upper plenum. That is a throttle body. Not easy to add another.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:43 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

@ GT-ROB - What is NO?

@Bryan@z1 - what is MAF?

In light of some of these questions, I don't think you want to tackle a project like this. Maybe after a lot more research and some exxperimentation.

Wanna know the best way to increase your gas mileage - use less pressure with your right foot.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:52 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

James, Here you go..........................

http://www.speedforceracing.com/inde...ke-manifold_92
Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Your 05 manifold has one MAF sensor. The dual intake manifold has two MAF sensors. What do you plan on plugging up the second one to?
^Thank you

Why did it take so long for some one to mention the MAF or even Dual throttle body issue?

just get a new plenum, spacer, intake, tune and lighten your driving style and youll get your MPG. or get a hybrid.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 PM
JamesYellowZ

Thanks everyone! I really do appreciate your responses. I'm learning a lot about my Z with your help.

Just today, I've learned:
1. What MAF is by going to the website and reviewing their information
2. I've also learned about the dual intakes and my model of Z not having one
3. About going back to the basics, especially when you drive as much as I do. Basics being Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Tire Pressure..etc.
4. What a Plenum Spacer is and why it's so important.

What I did notice something never mentioned what modifying the exhaust. I did some research on this as well and I found that in some cases (not sure what cases), modifying the exhaust can actually lower fuel mileage. I read that one of the Z forums...not sure where.

There is something that I'm podering about now and I really don't understand this. Why when I look up Cold Air Intakes for 350z's, I see a major difference in price? I see anywhere from $50 - $400+. Even Z1 has cold air intakes for $150, AEM seems to be price fixed at $303, but on Ebay, I can find CAI's at $50. What gives on that one?

As with the CAI, I've also noticed a small difference in Plenum pricing from $150-$250. everyone says they are better. But you know marketing...it's usually the name brand that cost more because of the name.

I would like to thank everyone here and if your ever in Dallas, TX, I'll buy ya a beer.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
into thin air.

why do newbies always come to this site with their brilliant "new" ideas. its like they think the 100,000+ current members are too stupid to have thought of these things.

Last edited by Nexx; 07-14-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:24 PM
TheFarmer

I would like to thank everyone here and if your ever in Dallas, TX, I'll buy ya a beer.
Seriously. You may squeeze one or two more MPG out of your car and that's it. If you want more, get a DD beater.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 PM
JamesYellowZ

Yea, I understand I only squeeze so much out of the Z. However, I noticed my MPG has been going down since I got the car a couple of years ago and just couldn't figure it out. I think I was overthinking the problem.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 PM
TheFarmer

Yea, I understand I only squeeze so much out of the Z. However, I noticed my MPG has been going down since I got the car a couple of years ago and just couldn't figure it out. I think I was overthinking the problem.
JamesYellowZ, for what it's worth, I get 21 MPG out of my Z mostly freeway and some city so I think you and I are not too far off. I don't drive my Z much but when I do that's what I get. So perhaps your car is normal?

I will say, however, in the city 3000-4000 RPM is the sweet spot for the Nismo exhaust and ever since I got it that's where I've been keeping my RPMs. Muthafawker just sounds so sweet to my ears. I will also mention, between 2009-current; I've only put 5000 miles on my Z. I know my situation is different than yours...but I think 19-25 MPG on the Z is feasible and normal depending on how you drive
Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks everyone!
woo hoo!!! Im in Dallas!!

I win a beer!!

I wont forget either fugger...............
next Z meet, etc if you forget im gonna ban you............just kidding..............
-J
no but for real......ill really ban you...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 PM
TheFarmer

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
I wont forget either fugger...............
next Z meet, etc if you forget im gonna ban you......
Old 07-15-2010, 06:57 AM
pangoman

I flushed and then changed my transmission fluid and rear differential gear oil to synthetic and initially gained almost 4 miles per gallon. It has since settled to just over 2 miles per gallon after 8 months. Small gain but with her being my DD every little bit helps.

Quick Reply: Change the 05 z manafold from single to dual?