Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Rogue Shifter, NISMO Clutch/Cover, JWT Flywheel Review (and Custom Exhaust V 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 07:00 PM
FLY BY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rogue Shifter, NISMO Clutch/Cover, JWT Flywheel Review (and Custom Exhaust V 2.0)

I had the clutch and flywheel installed last Monday (Nov. 10) and the shifter installed Thurs (Nov. 13) in San Antonio, TX at Ancira Nissan. I recommend them for any mods you do and they can get the parts at good prices, too. Just ask for Steve in Service and tell him Cody sent you.

I had the exhaust redone about 2 weeks ago in Lewisville, TX at Lorentz Automotive in their "muffler shop." Holy crap all I can say is they do top notch custom work and even build some of their own muffler and other parts. The guy who does the work is genius like. They are my #1 exhaust recommendation in the Metroplex. Ask for Jason and tell him Cody with the silver Z sent you.

Clutch/Flywheel:

NISMO and JWT. The clutch makes the pedal harder as expected and the flywheel does have the noticeable "gravel in your tranny" sound as expected. Also, the clutch seems to make the shifter a lot stiffer, too. It is hard to get into the gears. It seems to have loosened up slightly as a couple days passed or maybe I just got used to shifting harder. I can't say their is a night and day difference in the performance of the flywheel. I have noticed much less engine braking when coasting down in gear from higher RPMs. It seems to rev a little faster but not a whole lot. The clutch is a little more on/off than stock, but still very streetable. It has no springs built in like the stock setup but it isn't an abrupt transition. It just requires a little more modulation but it is very easy. You can def. notice a quicker transition in power to the wheels when you let the clutch out as the rear seems to want to get a little squirrely much easier but this is only when you give it a little throttle. Not like stock in that respect. VDC would grab when it wouldn't have to with the stock setup. But this is only once in a while and maybe only on a slick pavement or greasy intersection. Overall, thumbs up for the setup. Also, I want to add that I got the flywheel from sgpracing.com. Kyle is great over there.

Shifter:

Rogue Shifter. No pics of the shifter, sorry. It does seem to have a bit of a shorter throw from 2-3 but not a big diff from 1-2. Seems a little shorter from 4-5 also. A couple things I noticed on the shifter also. At certain RPMs during acceleration (I want to say in the late 2Ks to early 3Ks) it vibrates and rattles a bit. I think I can fix this with some cotton and some tape but the stock shifter has a black piece around the shaft that I think alleviates this problem that the Rogue does not have. It could vibrate this way because of my NISMO Ti **** but I don't know. Also, make sure you are assertive when you shift it because when combined with the NISMO clutch, shifting ain't a walk in the park. A good mod, though.

Custom Exhaust V2.0

Some of you may remember my old thread about my dual exhaust with an H-pipe and how it sounded like poop. It developed leaks and was constructed with poor craftsmanship. I will leave the name of the business that built it out as I can guarantee that no one is in danger of accidentally patronizing them. Anyways, per above, you can see who built this system. It has an X-pipe, smooth bends, and a couple extra resontors near the tips. It sounds awesome and I am very happy with it. I have no dynos of anything I have done, sorry.

Check the Susp. forum for my review of my NISMO rims w/Toyos and LSDUniques camber rods.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 11-17-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:10 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice post Mr. Potato Head, those are the exact parts I have or plan on getting.

So if you were to do it all over again would you have gone with the NISMO clutch kit? JWT Flywheel?

Thanks,
Victor
Old 11-15-2003, 05:32 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:35 AM
FLY BY Z

Yes I would choose the JWT and NISMO setup for a street car again. JmanZ, thanks for the support! But it's cool as I posted on a Friday night and I don't think the Friday night crowd is a talkative one. The heavy posters are all out playing.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:08 AM
Ben @ Rogue Engineer

Default Re: Rogue Shifter, NISMO Clutch/Cover, JWT Flywheel Review (and Custom Exhaust V 2.0)

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
<snip>

Shifter:

Rogue Shifter. No pics of the shifter, sorry. It does seem to have a bit of a shorter throw from 2-3 but not a big diff from 1-2. Seems a little shorter from 4-5 also. A couple things I noticed on the shifter also. At certain RPMs during acceleration (I want to say in the late 2Ks to early 3Ks) it vibrates and rattles a bit. I think I can fix this with some cotton and some tape but the stock shifter has a black piece around the shaft that I think alleviates this problem that the Rogue does not have. It could vibrate this way because of my NISMO Ti **** but I don't know. Also, make sure you are assertive when you shift it because when combined with the NISMO clutch, shifting ain't a walk in the park. A good mod, though.

<snip>
That partial plastic coating on the upper shifter has little to do with anything related to vibration.

The root cause of the vibration/ratting is because of the orientation of the shifter linkage to the shifter lever...it's directly connected. By using our neoprene rubber insert to isolate the bottom and top of the lever (yes, they are in fact, two pieces), we are able to minimize the transfer of vibration.

Ultimately, there is no way of completely removing it unless:

1. The linkage is converted to some sort of cable actuated shifter
2. The shifter/linkage assembly is replaced with something "less precise" (ie. sloppy) to account for the vibration/rattle that is transmitted.

Not sure the effect of a metallic shift **** (like the titanium Nismo) has on the vibration.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:31 AM
FLY BY Z

Well, it's cool. I will try to see what I can do to cure it then post any findings.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:53 AM
igor@af

do you have any plans on dynoing to see how the dual exhaust performs?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:59 AM
MY350Z.COM

Well, it's cool. I will try to see what I can do to cure it then post any findings.
A heavier counterweight shift **** perhaps?
Old 11-15-2003, 09:00 AM
FLY BY Z

I have no plans to dyno until I have completed the entire car. It could be a while as I have plans for the motor as well. Rods, pistons, cams, ported heads, intake manifold, FI, etc. Everything I am doing now is in preparation for big power. But, it could be a while. Before I do the motor there is still brakes, Konis, rear end, etc. After I do the motor there will be CF body parts (hatch, fenders, etc.) going on. This will take quite a while. I will dyno after the motor is done and before I put on any CF stuff. Painted of course.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:56 AM
FLY BY Z

Well, I have to change my review of the Rogue shifter a little bit. I think the rattle was caused by the NISMO Ti **** because I went ahead and tightened it with superhuman like strength and power and it is now quiet. I think the Rogue shifter has like one extra thread on it compared to stock and you have to tighten the crap out of the **** to secure it fully to the boot. Well, now the shifter is perfectly quiet and vibration free. Def. A+.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:44 AM
narkotic

Default Re: Rogue Shifter, NISMO Clutch/Cover, JWT Flywheel Review (and Custom Exhaust V 2.0)

Shifter:

Rogue Shifter. No pics of the shifter, sorry. It does seem to have a bit of a shorter throw from 2-3 but not a big diff from 1-2. Seems a little shorter from 4-5 also.

uhh... as i'm awaiting my new short shifter i'm now not as excited as I once was. A "bit" of a shorter throw? I thought this was going to make it WAY noticable (30-40%?!), and not a big diff between 1-2, wow. Thats all I have to say. I sure hope i'm more satisfied with it. Esp. since it was $240!
Old 11-16-2003, 09:56 AM
zimbo

I have a G35 sedan but as far as I know the stock 350Z shift rod is exactly the same. Here's a comparative photo...

Actually this photo shows a picture of the 1st iteration of the Rogue Shifter that was actually modified slightly (but has the same dimensions).

In my experience, the shifting is noticeably improved. I have always felt that the shifting on my 6MT sedan was overly notchy. Admittedly my car doesn't even have 1000 miles on it yet, but it just didn't feel as smooth as I'd hoped. I even took the car to the dealer. The service guys checked it out and said it was normal.
I installed the Rogue Shifter and the "notchiness" and difficulty I had experienced shifting from 1-2 and from 2-3 is greatly reduced. The shift isn't completely effortless but it seems more "controlled".

--Steve
Old 11-16-2003, 10:11 AM
jmark

I think the heavier NISMO GT Titanium shift **** would help the feel of the linkage. The same thing happened on my S2000 with its Titanium shifter.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:30 AM
FLY BY Z

Actually with the ****, it is quite the opposite. The Ti **** is WAY lighter than the heavy factory leather wrapped ****. This probably contributes to some of the extra effort I need to shift. However, the throw is very soild and strong. But I would say the reduction in travel is much closer to 20% than 40%. This is a good mod and you can notice a difference. Remember also that my review includes the install of the NISMO clutch which is going to throw my perception a bit off since shift effort is higher with just the clutch installed.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 11-16-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:58 AM
jmark

Actually with the ****, it is quite the opposite. The Ti **** is WAY lighter than the heavy factory leather wrapped ****. This probably contributes to some of the extra effort I need to shift. However, the throw is very soild and strong. But I would say the reduction in travel is much closer to 20% than 40%. This is a good mod and you can notice a difference. Remember also that my review includes the install of the NISMO clutch which is going to throw my perception a bit off since shift effort is higher with just the clutch installed.
Which Titanium **** do you have? NISMO makes two the GT & the slimmer one.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by jmark
Which Titanium **** do you have? NISMO makes two the GT & the slimmer one.
Actually, The Titanum ***** are the heavier ones!!!

I will weigh my stock shift **** with the Nismo Titanium / Nismo GT Titanium when i get to the office tommorow.

My black rubber GT Titanium Shift **** is lighter then the Titanium *****.

I know I thought they would be lighter too!
Old 11-16-2003, 11:49 AM
FLY BY Z

Well, they are all lighter than the stock **** then! The factory **** is heavy in comparison to what I have now. It is not the GT ****, it is the regular Ti.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:53 AM
Ben @ Rogue Engineer

Well, I have to change my review of the Rogue shifter a little bit. I think the rattle was caused by the NISMO Ti **** because I went ahead and tightened it with superhuman like strength and power and it is now quiet. I think the Rogue shifter has like one extra thread on it compared to stock and you have to tighten the crap out of the **** to secure it fully to the boot. Well, now the shifter is perfectly quiet and vibration free. Def. A+.
Thanks for the positive comments, Cody.

I do have to say, it is NOT recommended that others try "superhuman like strength" to attach their factory (or Nismo) shift *****.

Since we use a heat-activated, urathane-based adheasive to bond the lever together, it has tremendous holding properties for the materials we are using. However, in testing, we have been able to break this bond, by using excessive amounts of force (then again, apply a great force to anything, and something will give).

You can use a small amount of teflon sealing tape, in the case where you're using a metallic shift ****. For those still using factory *****, the teflon tape (or a small dap of threadlock) is all you'll need to secure the ****.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Stock Shift **** = 2/5 of a pound
GT Titanium = 3/5 of a pound
Titanium = 3/5 of a pound
Chrome / CF / BLack = 2/5 of a pound

Quick Reply: Rogue Shifter, NISMO Clutch/Cover, JWT Flywheel Review (and Custom Exhaust V 2.0)