Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

problems with motordyne setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 PM
xthejokerx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ it starts around 2k, hesitates when you floor it.

- me (08 owner)
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 AM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by xthejokerx
^^^ it starts around 2k, hesitates when you floor it.

- me (08 owner)
The hesitation varies but mostly it start at 2-3k and clears up around 4k.

Originally Posted by 350z 6spd
You can't take the difference between the 2 cars as your gain. If your sister's car is running a 12.5-13.0 AFR at WOT, it's going to make much more power than if yours is running a 10.5 (very rich) or a 14.5 (lean) at WOT. So if your tune is now off because of the change in air flow, you're not going to see gains.

I've seen a stock HR that was running a high 10-low 11 AFR at WOT and that is completely stock. So, the cars can vary greatly and until you look at outside factors that cause the differences in power, they're not really comparable. You should have had the dyno operator log AFR on that dyno sheet and it may have allowed us to see if you would gain substantial power from a tune.

Another thing, the stuttering could just be what most other HR's get when they install test pipes. When I only had test pipes on my car, if I would mash the throttle open around 3k-3500 (I think, could have been a little lower, I don't remember exactly) it would stutter a little as it went over that RPM. I would guess it's either a lean spot or due to the cam timing but plenty of other HR owners have experienced the same thing regardless of test pipe/exhaust brand.
Ok, sounds like there's much more work to be done. I am actually going to contact the tuner now and see if they have the AFR numbers and if so, I'll post them up.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey 08 Sleeperz, we did not do any wideband measuring when we dynoed cause we were just doing baseline runs. I think all your numbers are pretty on point with your mods like we talked about when you were here. Also the hesitation is also from the tapering air fuels like we talked about. When you do a full exhaust including test pipes, initial throttle tip in is too lean and as you run through the power band it tapers rich and starts to become optimum around 4k right around where it starts to clean up.

I doubt you have a issue with any of your sensors, i think we just need to put a good tune on there.

Also the HR motor is tough in the aspect that Nissan did as much as they could from the stand point of timing and fueling on those motors to make the 300hp that they make. So they do make as large of gains over stock as the DE and REV-UP motors do...
Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 AM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
Hey 08 Sleeperz, we did not do any wideband measuring when we dynoed cause we were just doing baseline runs. I think all your numbers are pretty on point with your mods like we talked about when you were here. Also the hesitation is also from the tapering air fuels like we talked about. When you do a full exhaust including test pipes, initial throttle tip in is too lean and as you run through the power band it tapers rich and starts to become optimum around 4k right around where it starts to clean up.

I doubt you have a issue with any of your sensors, i think we just need to put a good tune on there.

Also the HR motor is tough in the aspect that Nissan did as much as they could from the stand point of timing and fueling on those motors to make the 300hp that they make. So they do make as large of gains over stock as the DE and REV-UP motors do...
Sounds good Vince. I guess I was just expecting better numbers for some reason. Now, I wish I had dyno'd my car stock to see my true gains, but I'm not gonna waste the time of taking everything apart and then re-doing it. I just hope I gain a decent amount from the tune, mostly in the low end where it's lacking. When you do the tune do you mess with the timing, cam angles and all that good stuff to optimize everything? I'm sure you do, I just want to make sure. I'll be giving you a call within the next few days to schedule. THanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^^^ yes sir we will mess with cam timing and ignition and everything related to optimizing your set up. Thanks again for dynoing yesterday, it was good meeting you and your father
Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 AM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
^^^^ yes sir we will mess with cam timing and ignition and everything related to optimizing your set up. Thanks again for dynoing yesterday, it was good meeting you and your father
It was good to meet you guys...you all seem very knowledgeable. Is cam timing the same as cam angle tuning? Tony from Motordyne says that you get the most tq from this system when the exhaust cam angles are tuned. Just wondering if that was the same as cam timing or not. Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM
xthejokerx

Hi Vince, just a little off topic, but can running too lean or rich cause a drop in mpg?

Op, you may want to check the last post here https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/5017...ml#post8850552

He got a custom tune and it didnt solve the hesitation issue.

Last edited by xthejokerx; 12-21-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
SexyRob

just looking at the graphs, yours looks a lot better than hers. I bet if you overlayed them you would see big gains under the curve compared to hers.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Nismo1534

Looks like we are in the same boat 08sleeperz. I posted up pretty much the same scenario here:

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/5081...ity-check.html

I admit, all the hype got me believing N/A mods were worthwhile. Obviously that is not the case on the HR Z.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 PM
SamSpicer

08sleeperz, well if you are really unhappy with your mods i'll buy the shockwave v2
Old 12-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hi Vince, just a little off topic, but can running too lean or rich cause a drop in mpg?

Op, you may want to check the last post here https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/5017...ml#post8850552

He got a custom tune and it didnt solve the hesitation issue.
It really shouldn't effect fuel mileage too much...unless it is so lean thats its pulling so much timing that the motor is struggling...
Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 AM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by Nismo1534
Looks like we are in the same boat 08sleeperz. I posted up pretty much the same scenario here:

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/5081...ity-check.html

I admit, all the hype got me believing N/A mods were worthwhile. Obviously that is not the case on the HR Z.
Yea, I even posted in your thread about not getting too much from N/A I guess it was just wishful thinking, but after talking with quite a few people it seems like a tune will increase low end pull and driveability which is what I was trying to do anyway. So, even though I spent a lot, I now don't think its a waste.

Originally Posted by SamSpicer
08sleeperz, well if you are really unhappy with your mods i'll buy the shockwave v2
Not unhappy with the products just a little disappointed with gains. But Vince from R/T is gonna tune my car tomorrow so I'll post up results when its done. Seems like I'll feel more from the tune then the exhaust itself
Old 12-22-2010, 09:30 AM
tylerxfire

go get an uprev tune...on the other hand though, i am in no way a fan of those art pipes...test pipes FTW, i never had a problem making power with berk test pipes and the motordyne xyz w/ resonator took the rasp away
Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RT's dyno also seems to underrate cars a little, but you definitely need a tune, too.

Vince and his crew have done a great job taking care of my concerns and I will continue to tune with them in the future. I went back for some tuning and to address some codes from the O2 sensors and ended up fattening up my powerband and making a total 308whp/280wtq on my built 06 rev-up motor w/ cams.

Since they installed my built longblock, I will also be bringing over my SG long tube headers for install and tune in the next couple weeks. I'm hoping to make some midrange/high rpm power with the race headers.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:42 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by kacz07
RT's dyno also seems to underrate cars a little, but you definitely need a tune, too.

Vince and his crew have done a great job taking care of my concerns and I will continue to tune with them in the future. I went back for some tuning and to address some codes from the O2 sensors and ended up fattening up my powerband and making a total 308whp/280wtq on my built 06 rev-up motor w/ cams.

Since they installed my built longblock, I will also be bringing over my SG long tube headers for install and tune in the next couple weeks. I'm hoping to make some midrange/high rpm power with the race headers.
The guys at R/T seem to know what they're doin. I'll be there tomorrow for an uprev tune. I love the SG headers. Wish they made them for the HOUR. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM
xthejokerx

Originally Posted by 08sleeperz
The guys at R/T seem to know what they're doin. I'll be there tomorrow for an uprev tune. I love the SG headers. Wish they made them for the HOUR. Good luck.
be sure to post before/after dyno and let us know if your low end hesitation is fixed with the tune good luck
Old 12-22-2010, 04:55 PM
08sleeperz

be sure to post before/after dyno and let us know if your low end hesitation is fixed with the tune good luck
Will do...Vince promised me a strong low end :-)
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Nismo1534

Originally Posted by 08sleeperz
Will do...Vince promised me a strong low end :-)
Definitely excited for the results, as we are in the same boat.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:56 PM
xthejokerx

update??!?!?! *crossing fingers the hesitation is removed***
Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 AM
08sleeperz

update??!?!?! *crossing fingers the hesitation is removed***
My bad, I ran into some problems and had to take care of some things (not with the car). Its all tuned up and I will post up the sheets when I get a chance to scan them. Good new: the hesitation is gone! I gained about 10hp and 7ft/lbs throughout the rpm range. It feels good, I just wish the low end gains were a little more...the car doesn't really seem to take off til about 3500-4k. But, once it does, it is amazing. All in all I'm happy with the results but I'm still hung up on the "numbers" and my previous expectations, but I guess I have to get over that. Like I said, I'll post the dyno sheets asap.

Quick Reply: problems with motordyne setup