Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

problems with motordyne setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xthejokerx
^^^ it starts around 2k, hesitates when you floor it.

- me (08 owner)
This is a normal part of removing the stock catalytic converters.

When you look at the 2K-3K RPM range of this comparative plot you can see why.

The above is a comparison of the ART pipes against the stock cats.
The hesitation you refer to is the up/down swing in power/torque in the very low end. If this same comparison was done between regular test pipes and the stock cats it would show a much greater magnitude of loss and the loss would extend a wider band width of RPM.

So yes, compared to the stock cats, the ART pipes show a relative loss at the RPM shown above and then make big gains. This is normal and expected.

One other interesting detail about the ART pipes is that they respond very well to cam tuning. More than regular test pipes. Give them more overlap down low and much less overlap up top.

Compared to standard test pipes, the ART pipes are much better. To give it some context, the big low end gain with ART pipes shown in this plot is the power you won't be loosing in comparison to regular test pipes.

Another way to think about the relative difference between ART pipes, standard test pipes and stock cats... The plot above. If you were to flip it upside down at the "Zero axis" that would be the hesitation or loss if you were to use regular test pipes. ....it would be a much greater loss and have much more hesitation... but this is what normal test pipes do.

08SleeperZ,
The Motordyne NA bolton parts certainly won't make huge gains like nitrous or FI but I can assure you of one thing. What you have installed is the most thoroughly researched and most effective boltons available to the 350Z.

Tony

Last edited by Hydrazine; 12-26-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^I love detailed and informational posts!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM
08sleeperz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the informative post tony. I did notice decent gains throughout I just thought the low end would have been a little stronger after the tune after looking at graphs and dynos that you and other members have posted. I know the gains can not be compared to the bottle or FI, I just want to get the most possible. I guess 289whp and 259ft/lbs on a dynojet isn't bad for the moment (K&N drop ins, HPS intake tubes, ART pipes and shockwave V2). Thanks for producing great products tony. Wish you offered more for the HOUR.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 PM
08sleeperz

HR*
Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 PM
xthejokerx

I'm interested in knowing how the tune fixed the hesitation at 2k due to the sudden drop in torque. I might be getting a tune soon just to fix that.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 PM
08sleeperz

The hesitation is completely gone. The one thing I can't bring my self to accept is the minimal low end gains. On the dyno sheet (I will post them eventually), my tq gains are the same in the low end as they are in the high end. I thought with my tune I would get a big boost in low end torque and the gains would decrease as I reached redline. There's no hesitation but I feel like there should be more pull before 4k.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the gain your trying to obtain can going be felt with FI.