Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

advice for my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Persian-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice for my exhaust

hey guys hows it going. Sunday i decided to finally install my new exhaust. im running cnt racing test pipes, with a stock y pipe, and a magnaflow catback. im aiming for a loud powerful sound. its pretty loud but would like it louder. when i get on the throttle and release it makes a hissing sound, almost like a turbo. its weird. was wondering maybe if its because of the restrictive y pipe. in the market for a y pipe anyways so any retrogradations on non catted y pipes please let me know. thanks

-Frank
Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Arvin89

Did you remove the heat shields above the cats when you put in the test pipes?

Have you checked for exhaust leak?

If there's no leak, It may be a little bit of backfire.

I know exactly what your talking about, I have the same noise (happened after test pipes).
Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A new Y-pipe will change the sound of the exhaust yes. Maybe better maybe worse but it will change for sure.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Persian-Z

Originally Posted by Arvin89
Did you remove the heat shields above the cats when you put in the test pipes?

Have you checked for exhaust leak?

If there's no leak, It may be a little bit of backfire.

I know exactly what your talking about, I have the same noise (happened after test pipes).
i actually didnt remove the heat shields. dont think i have an exhaust leak because i only hear this noise when i release the throttle for a few seconds and its done. i was thinking it might be because of the restrictive y pipe. thinking about doing a catless y pipe but not sure about the stillen. how did you get rid of the noise?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Persian-Z

Originally Posted by davidv
A new Y-pipe will change the sound of the exhaust yes. Maybe better maybe worse but it will change for sure.
what do you think about the stillen y pipe. looking for a catless y pipe but i am not sure if the stillen y pipe is catless. couldnt really find sound clips of the exact set up i have with the y pipe so i really am not sure on which y pipe would get me a louder noise and possibly eliminate the whistling sound
Old 02-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Arvin89

Well, I've never heard of a cat-less Y pipe (but what do I know, people make crazy **** all the time)

Your exhaust sytem should be something like this, headers lead into cats (test pipes if your running catless) and those lead into 1 stream through the Y pipe, which leads to the mid pipe, which then leads to the muffler and then the exhaust tips.

*this is the oem set up*

So you could get an aftermarket Y-pipe that has a wider pipe (less restriction) that would go from your cats to your mid pipe. This will reduce restriction, and back fire, so the noise should go away.

But before you do this, get back under your car and remove those heat shields, they rattle. Its really easy, there's just 3 bolts(or nuts..I don't remember) you have to remove. You don't have to remove the cats, I think I had to take one of my O2 sensors out to remove 1 of the bolts but its really simple, its a 10 min job from jacking the car up to getting it down again.

So remove the heat shields, see how it sounds still, and if you don't like the noise still, try getting a wider than oem Y-pipe. Stillen is kinda popular since its long and can be hacked down to fit nicely, but its really up to you.

And I never got rid of the sound, removing the heat shields reduced it a bit, and I can live with the rest.

Goodluck.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think he thinks the flex pipes are cats/resonators.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
08sleeperz

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
i think he thinks the flex pipes are cats/resonators.
yea that. There's no such thing as a catted y-pipe on our cars. They're all catless, they just have different diameters. And the hissing sound may just be from the test pipes allowing you to hear the flow more. I have more of a swooshing sound but its simply because of less restriction/thinner tubing allowing you to hear the flow.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Persian-Z

yea my bad guys. i thought the "flex pipes" were the cats in the y pipe. im not much of an exhaust wiz. just good with doing the work myself and learning along the way LOL. i however i would like make my z much louder. its already pretty loud, i take that back really loud. my friend has a mustang gt and were pretty competitive lol. hes got the v8 so im trying to get up there in the sound with him lol. any recommendations, i have an HR.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
08sleeperz

The z isn't really meant to be loud in my opinion. If you run the right exhaust, it'll have a great tone and give you some power. If you want it to be loud don't run an exhaust. It'll sound like **** and won't make power but it'll deff be loud . In my opinion, leave the loudness to the American V8s. However, that being said, getting an aftermarket y-pipe with a larger diameter will make it a little louder and Magnaflow isn't the loudest exhaust out there. The Motordyne TDX V1 is pretty loud yet still has a nice tone but I'm not sure if you can still buy the V1. Other than that I'm not really sure who makes a "loud" exhaust as that wasn't one of the factors in choosing my exhaust.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Arvin89

Its all good. When i got my Z i didnt even know how to do a brake job properly. Best way to learn is to slowly do your research and learn by practice and experience. In terms of getting your exhaust to the point of matching a v8 mustang (assuming 5.0L) will be pretty tough. If Ford ever did anything right, it was the exhaust note of the mustang. Its simply beautiful, and no drone!!

From what ive learned, to get your exhaust loud, you need to work on the whole system. That means intakes as well. I dont know what you have done to your car. But im assuming your not running a Forced Induction setup since you have restrictions in your exhaust system. So you want to put in atleast a Cold air Intake, a Plenum Spacer. That will increase the amount of oxygen exploding in your engine, increasing power output and also making your car sound deeper and louder. This is a good place to start.

I remember reading you have a magnaflow exhaust, those are pretty loud in general so i think you may be okay there, removing the cats also makes it louder, but again youve done that. So i think whats left for you to do is the Y pipe.

You wont be able to find a clip on youtube with your exact same setup, so i think it might be best to try to find one thats close.. (as in a car that has the same types of mods, not the same brands) or just find a stock Z with the brand of Y pipe that your looking into.

Do some research, find one that seems to be loud and go for it.

Now, dont get me wrong, loud exhausts are pretty cool when it sounds good. Like a Ferrari, a motorcycle etc, those are nice loud exhausts. So dont over do it and give up the tone of the exhaust for loudness. Remember mustangs are loud, but you can also hear the note of the exhaust. You dont want to turn your Z into a fart can civic hatchback (no offense to the any civic guys, but those exhausts are just plain horrible).