Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Berk Technology Test Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I do get the hissing sound but they broke in a little and is not bad at all anymore I don't even hear it most of the time.

Enthusiazt my friends over at Nissan were telling me to make sure they when you tightened it to make sure it's not to close to some bracket or metal piece. I would lift your car and have a friend rev it while you look to see what's causing the rattling. Might be an easy fix.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiazt
not so much a hissing noise. Its sounds like metal vibrating against metal. Its quite embarrasing.

This sound is usually caused by cats or test pipes hitting the heat shields. Yes it sounds like **** and some exhaust parts are a lot worse than others.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
This sound is usually caused by cats or test pipes hitting the heat shields. Yes it sounds like **** and some exhaust parts are a lot worse than others.
the sound only happens when i let off the gas pedal? ditto?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:56 PM
enthusiazt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for the late reply..the noise comes from the y pipe right between the test pipe and the flex joint on the y pipe. It hits the floor of the car. i removed the heat shields so i know it is not this.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:10 PM
hachansoo0413

I have Berk test pipes on my 05 Z.
There is also a weird sound like something sucking air or leaking air.
All the pipes are tighten up for sure. I guess it is the way it is.
Also, after like 1k mile, I got cel light.... hahahahahahahahaha
Where is the ~95% cel fix ?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:05 PM
YardieXplorer

Originally Posted by Pengu
I do get the hissing sound but they broke in a little and is not bad at all anymore I don't even hear it most of the time.

Enthusiazt my friends over at Nissan were telling me to make sure they when you tightened it to make sure it's not to close to some bracket or metal piece. I would lift your car and have a friend rev it while you look to see what's causing the rattling. Might be an easy fix.
I am in this dilemma also about getting test pipes over HFC's. Thinking I could ****** a deal on some used ones to avoid having to remove them for inspection.

P.S I see you are in VA..Im in Richmond man.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 PM
ChaseDiz

Originally Posted by Pengu
I ordered some Berk Test Pipes for my 2006 350Z from B2AutoDesigns which was GREAT to deal with. It shipped the next business day (Ordered Sunday) and they were VERY easy to contact. Also had free shipping. Will be doing business with them again, anyways upon opening the box Berk gives you brand new bolts, pipes, gaskets, and even a poster. Thanks Berk.

Upon installing it took me about 45 minutes to get 2 bolts off because my impact gun couldn't fit and I didn't have an extender. So I took it to Nissan at about 10:00 pm since my friend works there and used there bay along with there tools. Besides getting the rusted bolts, install was very very simple. I guess thats why they call it bolt ons. It took about 45 minutes to get the bolts off and about 20 minutes to put the new pipes, bolts, and o2 sensors on.

Test Pipe Review (Keep in mind I have a Borla Exhaust that came with the car):

The exhaust is much louder, sounds a lot deeper, and much more aggressive. Since the pipes aren't resonated it does have a decent bit of rasp, but it's not as bad as most people describe so far I don't regret it and the sound makes up for it. Acceleration seems like it is better then before. As far as horsepower gains I'd have no idea without a dyno. The only reason I got these was because of the price and the sound mostly.

Would I recommend these?

I'd say to anyone who doesn't mind some rasp, and a much louder, deeper sounding exhaust system. Yes.

Hope this helps people who are considering test pipes. I will upload a video once I find a good enough video camera for the sound.

Thanks for the read.

Would these fit a 03 350z also cause everywhere I look it ways 07 and up??
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got my TopSpeed Resonated Test pipes installed. I have a Borla True Dual. The sound was a lil to stock so I wanted a little more. So far I love the sound, however I have this nasty metallic rattle rite where the H pipe is. It sounds like metal on metal only when decelerating. I told the shop when i picked up the car and he tells me this is rasp. NO FN way this is rasp man. This sounds like metal on Metal. Its consistent, and may cause me to remove the pipes all together.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:54 AM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might just be your exhaust or test pipes hitting your undershield under the car.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:27 AM
FormulaET

Default Berk thumbs up!

I got test pipes professionally installed today. Fair price and quality workmanship.
No, zip, none CEL upon firing it up. I have original Y pipe but had resonator cut out and straight piped to a dual out Flowmaster with stock tips. The car is a lot louder, aggressive and thunderous. Definitely a head turner!! Great addition to the following:
Flowmaster
Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer
NWP 75mm bore throttle body
K & N Air charger/cold air intake.
Uprev tune is next on the list.
The Berk Test Pipe w/CEL fix is what I highly recommend. Also, If you're not keen on working on exhaust, buy the pipes and have them professionally installed
Old 04-08-2016, 01:23 PM
ARRRT

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Haven't had the CEL for two or three weeks after Berk TPs install but then one day BUMP! and CEL is back) eventually got rid of TPs because of ugly exhaust smell)))
otherways Berks were great - very well engeneered and built product!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i use to have test pipes and straight pipes......it sounded ok......

but now since i am twin turbo with a bee r 2 step rev limiter......my car sounds like this.......start at 1:07

I wont ever be able to go back to my old exhaust setup lol...a little rich tune goes a long way.....

>=)

Last edited by Justin100; 04-08-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:05 AM
FormulaET

Originally Posted by ARRRT
Haven't had the CEL for two or three weeks after Berk TPs install but then one day BUMP! and CEL is back) eventually got rid of TPs because of ugly exhaust smell)))
otherways Berks were great - very well engeneered and built product!
personally I like the odor.. hehe. Hopefully I can get sensors tuned out down the road. BTW is the Y pipe (stock) constrictive? Might I consider replacement?
Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 AM
ARRRT

You may consider to change your y-pipe if you would like to increase your exhaust flow. Stock y-pipe is known to be restrictive.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:45 AM
Noor93y

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had these for years and took them back off the car so i think i can describe them pretty well. I put them on at the same time as a catback back in 2012 and the car was just loud and it felt like it was a bit faster. The only problem was that i got a CEL but i was not tuned at that point. I took them off later cuz wasnt driving the car as much and it needed to pass inspection and holy **** did it quiet it down, I even felt like it was a little bit dronier. after 4500 rpm felt like there was something missing so it was then that i realized the difference was huge with and without them. The rasp was gone it never sounded like it was screaming anymore 2006 rev up btw. I would much rather keep them on but inspections are a thing.
On an unrelated note i was wondering if HFC will give me the same kind of performance and sound gains or at least similar?
Old 04-16-2016, 12:35 PM
FormulaET

Default Test pipe Head

Originally Posted by Noor93y
Ive had these for years and took them back off the car so i think i can describe them pretty well. I put them on at the same time as a catback back in 2012 and the car was just loud and it felt like it was a bit faster. The only problem was that i got a CEL but i was not tuned at that point. I took them off later cuz wasnt driving the car as much and it needed to pass inspection and holy **** did it quiet it down, I even felt like it was a little bit dronier. after 4500 rpm felt like there was something missing so it was then that i realized the difference was huge with and without them. The rasp was gone it never sounded like it was screaming anymore 2006 rev up btw. I would much rather keep them on but inspections are a thing.
On an unrelated note i was wondering if HFC will give me the same kind of performance and sound gains or at least similar?
I still have to get mine (2004) Z tuned, but still haven't had CEL light.... yet. Fortunately, in my region they did away with emissions testing. The longer they've been on, the warmer the sound is. Only when I really put my foot in it does it start the rasp-scream. My friends all compliment the race car like sound it has. The Flowmasters are nasty loud regardless.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:19 AM
FormulaET

Originally Posted by ARRRT

You may consider to change your y-pipe if you would like to increase your exhaust flow. Stock y-pipe is known to be restrictive.
Thanx AART, do you recommend any make in particular? The Megan seems cheapest, although I like the reviews of the AAM..
Old 04-18-2016, 01:33 PM
ARRRT

sorry, no personal experience - still running oem y-pipe
anyways, there are tones of useful info on this topic here on my350z
good luck
Old 07-22-2016, 04:40 AM
FormulaET

Well got everything completed. Got Megan Y pipe installed, had to replace muffler due to a baffle breaking loose. I switched to a Magnaflow muffler that's less offensive sounding. Finally, I went to Dynosty and had it dyno tuned. The result is a fair 256whp. Not shabby for a naturally aspirated setup.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:20 PM
ARRRT

Wow! Great numbers, Formula!
Enjoy)))