Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

A+ for creativity...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
I think that racing competitively (without sponsors) and keeping a car pretty are usually at odds with each other, aren't they? If I'm going to tear stuff up eventually at the track, why am I going to spend a bazillion dollars on a perfect paint match and authentic aero? I know that I'll get flamed by the anti-replica crowd for this, but it just doesn't make sense if you can get the same advantage from a homemade splitter that you can replace every track session, or a replica bumper so that your gut doesn't drop when you hit a cone.
I still can't get on board with replica stuff, but I agree that spending big $$ on stuff for a (relatively) low budget track car doesn't make sense. I'd rather see someone fab up their own splitter from proper materials than run some knock-off stuff.

Basically:

eBay lip that's a knock-off of another design = do not want.
Garage built lip, using proper materials and craftsmanship = awesome.
eBay/cheap lip using original design = I can dig it.

Originally Posted by hellogoodbye
Can anyone tell me if a heat shield is really necessary for an aftermarket intake? I ask because I don't have a heat shield with my setup.
Without a heat shield, you're more likely to get "heat soak." Heat soak is when the heat from the radiator and engine block heat the whole engine bay to the point that the intake is sucking in hot air, which results in a loss of power.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
hellogoodbye

Right thanks for the responses, what sort of difference are we talking about from heat soak like maybe 1 horsepower?

Btw, I'm not knocking heat shields, the OP has a nice setup, I just literally don't have one cause I am using a cold air intake as a short ram basically... If I was buying one new I would buy one with a heat shield obviously.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:51 PM
speedbyu

[QouTE=vo7848;9506047]A+ for creativity...[/QUOTE]

Thanks vo7848, Just hate giving up good money for something I can make. If it does not work out do to heat, I have no doubt that I can remake something in metal.
I have made alot of things for my motorcycles over the years