Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

The big header / vendor debate...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Jeff but your wrong.
Your 258 TQ figure is at aprox 4500rpm, If mjedens 256 TQ was at the same rpm figure as yours then your car would be making more HP at 4500.
Now his motor went on to make 298Hp at probably 6200 to 6500 & if your motor made its 266Hp at these same revs then his motor was certainly makeing more TQ than yours at those revs.

Dont beleive me . Well look at your green graph, wherever theres a dip or wiggle in the TQ graph the same dip & wiggle shows on the HP graph even the little flick up at the end.

Why? because they are the same thing but with different math applied.

Conclusion: If the Crawford header was showing more TQ at a given RPM than the Nismo, then at that same RPM it would have been making more power.

Now having said that I am very skeptical of the figures mjedens has posted. At 2300Rpm he is 38up yet 250revs later he is only 6 up. The graph would be interesting to see as it would have more ups & downs than a ****** panties.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Nathan
Sorry Jeff but your wrong.
Your 258 TQ figure is at aprox 4500rpm, If mjedens 256 TQ was at the same rpm figure as yours then your car would be making more HP at 4500.
Now his motor went on to make 298Hp at probably 6200 to 6500 & if your motor made its 266Hp at these same revs then his motor was certainly makeing more TQ than yours at those revs.

Dont beleive me . Well look at your green graph, wherever theres a dip or wiggle in the TQ graph the same dip & wiggle shows on the HP graph even the little flick up at the end.

Why? because they are the same thing but with different math applied.

Conclusion: If the Crawford header was showing more TQ at a given RPM than the Nismo, then at that same RPM it would have been making more power.

Now having said that I am very skeptical of the figures mjedens has posted. At 2300Rpm he is 38up yet 250revs later he is only 6 up. The graph would be interesting to see as it would have more ups & downs than a ****** panties.
Graph?

Actual HP or SAE Corrected?

My car makes over 600 RWSHP...

(rear wheel sticker horse power)

Old 12-23-2003, 12:20 AM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason
The graph posted by Jeff on page 2 showing Actual HP.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crawford vs Nismo

Originally posted by mjedens
Horse power increase also went to the Crawfords with a gain of 5 starting @ 6450 & increasing to 8 @ 6850 to 7000.
The above quote is what got me interested in this thread. The only mention on hp was this. I don't feel that there are too many people (beside myself and Jason) that run their cars up in this rpm range. This original question posted by Jason was in response to posts over ours. He was only trying to understand what made them so "superior" to Nismo. No one wants to talk hp, which I find a little wierd. mjedens has sold his headers I believe to a customer of mine and we are installing them today. (I could be wrong here) When I first saw this thread I jumped on Jason and reminded him of my strick policy against vendor/product bashing. As I got sucked into it myself I must apologize. This was never my intention to see this go the direction it went. I would change over to Crawford Headers myself if the hp numbers were there for me to veiw. I felt that if the only change in mjedens car was headers, we had a chance to see some true numbers on a modified car. Since these were never forthcoming, I'm going to have to ASSUME that they my not be right for me. This doesn't mean that they aren't a great product. I was never a believer in UD pulleys and said I would never have them on my car. I was proven wrong on a dyno day with fellow Z members and not only installed them the next day, but showed gains as well. Guess what, I'm now a distributor for them!! I never believed in the Crawford plenum as well, if it wasn't for the up coming S/C project for my car I would have one of those by now as well. IF Crawford headers show a big enough gain vs price vs what I can sell my Nismo's for..... I'm the kind of person who would by them. I don't mind spending a bunch of money for a couple hp. My goal was always 270 N/A. The best I did was 269 on a spike. I know dynos are different so I was going to try elsewhere..... but it's only a number I guess. Sorry Doug. I've talked to you on the phone several times you seem like a great guy who like myself has a passion for these cars. At this point I will leave it up to Victor, but after any rebuttals from the Crawford people I would like to see this thread shut off as it will be a no win for anyone........ Jeff
Old 12-23-2003, 01:02 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Nathan
Jason
The graph posted by Jeff on page 2 showing Actual HP.
yes I know all of our graphs are actual horse power,,, all raitings we get are actuall horse power..

everyone else seems to be SAE
Old 12-23-2003, 04:13 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
yes I know all of our graphs are actual horse power,,, all raitings we get are actuall horse power..

everyone else seems to be SAE
Your right! I thought SAE was the standard. Just for kicks I took the SAE correction off and looked at the results . . .WOW I really like those numbers. Why have we been told to use SAE? Whats your reasoning to not use SAE?

Here is my graph using no correction factor, but I did set smoothing to 3, which I understand is another "standard". If I am wrong please advise! Also note just to be fair, I put my bone stock baseline in there also with no correction factor. Is changed the numbers a bit in places some for better some for worse!

Now that I think about it if you are comparing dynos from same day, then no SAE is required. But different day different conditions can through the results off . . .thats seems to be a good reason for me to use the corrected numbers to do my comparison. Jason or Jeff . . .is that your baseline on there?
Old 12-23-2003, 04:17 AM
VandyZ

Default Re: Re: Crawford vs Nismo

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
I don't feel that there are too many people (beside myself and Jason) that run their cars up in this rpm range.
Add me and every Z driver I personally know to the list.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:43 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I'll see if I can dig up my original dyno sheet. But my baseline was 232hp and 237tq on a dyno pack down the street. Who knows how correct any of these are anyway..... My down fall was not using the same one start to present day. A dyno for our store is on the horizon, but the road race cars come first so it depends on how expensive the on coming season gets. Hopefully BJ and us can keep the cars on the podium this year!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:02 AM
f r e z N Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
dbble post...

lets turn this into a thread for why Mac's are good only for graphic design and NOT internet!

DUDE! I need a DELL!

LOL, maybe they were good for G/D 6 years ago.

Seriously, Jason, you started a serious conversation, I would expect you, as the thread starter, to maintain a serious tone. I understand the desire to keep the temperature of the conversation down, but throwing cold water on a hot fire is only going to cloud the issue with a lot of steam.

Maybe you have a different relationship with the main participants to this thread than what I understand, and the jeering is taken with a grain of salt for them more so than it appears to be from my eyes. In which case, dismiss my comments.

Last edited by f r e z N Y; 12-23-2003 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:43 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by f r e z N Y
Maybe you have a different relationship with the main participants to this thread than what I understand, and the jeering is taken with a grain of salt for them more so than it appears to be from my eyes. In which case, dismiss my comments.
I take everything with a grain of salt on here yes. After all, it is only the Internet and it in no way affects our lives in the big picture. No realizations we come to on this board is going to make the world a better place. This is a place to talk about and debate aspects of one of our many hobbies. This isn't deep talk or rocket science. It's a bunch of Z owners figuring out ways to make their cars better. When you really look at it, nothing here is that important so if there are disputes or whatever I can still get along with my life.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:26 PM
pimp1911

Would it make everybody happy if someone bought 1 crawford header and 1 nismo header and slapped either one on the left and rightside of the engine block. Both Crawford and Performance are great companies and there is enough money out there to be made by all.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Fanman

Anybody hear of the Fujitsubo headers ? I hear they make a quality product. A few people over on the S2000 boards have they exhaust, and it looks nice.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:52 PM
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by Fanman
Anybody hear of the Fujitsubo headers ? I hear they make a quality product. A few people over on the S2000 boards have they exhaust, and it looks nice.
I haven't read about anyone here with Fujitsubo headers.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:58 PM
zzzya

Originally posted by Fanman
Do they have a left hand drive version available yet? I know that someone ordered a set on another thread and they were right hand drive.